plugged heater core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Luken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had an on going issue with a plugged heater core. Lost heat fall of 21. Took in to dealer and was told it was a plugged heater core cost to replace 2500.00 Truck had 55k on it and was less three years old. I was told it was not under warranty. I took it to a local shop and they flushed it for $75.00. Mechanic knew all about the issues of casting sand plugging the heater cores. Across the FCA offerings.
Today is the third time Ive backflushed. Reservoir also had a bunch of sand in it and was cleaned out.
I brought my findings back to the dealer and nothing was done. I will be contacting Chrysler cares or whatever it is now to file a claim.
I almost had the core replaced but the mechanic that flushed it said to wait because they've seen it take several trys before clean. And I dont want to repeat the process in replacement. Even if it would be replaced under parts warranty it takes two days in the shop.
There's an issue here that the Ram doesn't want to deal with. 2500.00 replacement cost that you could likely have to repeat again. Regardless of cost is the down time.
Ill update when I get an answer from the Cares team.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I'd find a different dealer - for 2500 - hopefully they buy you dinner and a movie first

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Casting sand from where? How much sand is actually in there to cause a clog after 55k miles?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Wish you the very best but if FCA didn't give a crap about failed lifters and camshafts that cost a whole bunch more, to their customenr, and was far more rampant a problem....I wish you well.

OP
OP
M

Matt Luken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Casting sand from where? How much sand is actually in there to cause a clog after 55k miles?
I believe from the motor. Why it took 55k to show up could be to the timing. It was November and I started needing heat. Could have been plugged before. On low fan you will get some heat. Low outdoor temps will negate that even. Ive seen what has come out. Last week they cleaned the reservoir. That had about an inch of sand in it.
I had the oil changed that early fall and noticed a coolant drop. Told dealer that, and nothing was done. Are the two related?

OP
OP
M

Matt Luken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive had an on going issue with a plugged heater core. Lost heat fall of 21. Took in to dealer and was told it was a plugged heater core cost to replace 2500.00 Truck had 55k on it and was less three years old. I was told it was not under warranty. I took it to a local shop and they flushed it for $75.00. Mechanic knew all about the issues of casting sand plugging the heater cores. Across the FCA offerings.
Today is the third time Ive backflushed. Reservoir also had a bunch of sand in it and was cleaned out.
I brought my findings back to the dealer and nothing was done. I will be contacting Chrysler cares or whatever it is now to file a claim.
I almost had the core replaced but the mechanic that flushed it said to wait because they've seen it take several trys before clean. And I dont want to repeat the process in replacement. Even if it would be replaced under parts warranty it takes two days in the shop.
There's an issue here that the Ram doesn't want to deal with. 2500.00 replacement cost that you could likely have to repeat again. Regardless of cost is the down time.
Ill update when I get an answer from the Cares team.
Update

Call customer service ( Chrysler Cares) or Stelantis. No help.
They referred me back to the dealer Broadway Chrysler in Yankton SD 57078. I could have the district manager get involved is the suggestion. Dealer originally said that I would have to call the service line and get a case number before I did that. 30 min on the line produced no case number and no help. It is the run around.
So far after the third flush I have heat. How long? I would have replaced the heater core by now but would it have lasted? Customer service said 2 year warranty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe from the motor. Why it took 55k to show up could be to the timing.
Have to wonder if it's a water quality or coolant issue as it seems the HD trucks with either engine has been effected by the heater core plugging. My buddies '14 CTD had to have the heater core replaced due to lack of heat and there been a bunch more reported here.
The 6.4L and Cummins engines are built at two different factories.

Octane

Reaction score
My '13 ram 1500 core has been partly plugged for years. Flushed it to no avail several times. Now it leaks. Nothing a 2k bill won't fix....if I use a shop

Last edited:

Ram bo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that ting gots a hemi!
make friends w/a tech at dealership. i used shop facilities where i work and it took me about 7hrs..... including time to defunk my nasty ass center console & all the crap that dripped down into it. hardest part was disconnecting the vents to under front seats (forgot they were there, then forgetting to reconnect them cause i was so happy center console was clean).

shock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Had the same issue with no heat. My diesel mechanic flushed it out 3 times before coolant would flow like it should. When I went to pick it up he had a 16,17, and and 19 there with no heat. Got to be a coolant issue

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Had the same issue with no heat. My diesel mechanic flushed it out 3 times before coolant would flow like it should. When I went to pick it up he had a 16,17, and and 19 there with no heat. Got to be a coolant issue
One has to wonder if people are using the wrong coolant type (HOAT with OAT) mixing different types of anti freeze can cause problems over the years...

shock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
My diesel mechanic said when mixing different coolants together causes them to gum up which restricts coolant flow. Just glad it wasn't a heater core