Popping noise after Bilstein level installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 2 months ago I ordered a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks for my 19 Ram. I installed them according to the instructions and the first couple of months they were fine. Now there is a popping or clunking noise coming from the front. I researched this and was told a lot of people had a problem with installing the washer in the wrong location. My shocks did not come with a washer and was told the newer ones don't have a washer/not needed. I'm about ready to either put the stocks back on or order the Mopar 2 inch lift. I would rather save the money and resolve the issue, but hate the noise on a new truck. Any help. Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Bilstein tech was useless. All they could say was you must have installed them wrong.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upper control arm or maybe need to check the torque on everything to make sure nothing is loose.

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When does the noise occur? Does it happen when you do something specific?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When going over some bumps and when traveling slow and rock the truck back and forth. Are you talking about where it bolts into the frame . I assume it's okay.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
About 2 months ago I ordered a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks for my 19 Ram. I installed them according to the instructions and the first couple of months they were fine. Now there is a popping or clunking noise coming from the front. I researched this and was told a lot of people had a problem with installing the washer in the wrong location. My shocks did not come with a washer and was told the newer ones don't have a washer/not needed. I'm about ready to either put the stocks back on or order the Mopar 2 inch lift. I would rather save the money and resolve the issue, but hate the noise on a new truck. Any help. Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Bilstein tech was useless. All they could say was you must have installed them wrong.

Imagine Bil Tech is correct but they do not exactly what you did wrong.
Usually it is simply a matter of something moving that should not be moving an that something i at the top of the shock.
Danger is damaging yet another part on the truck so get it to someone who knows what they are doing, have done it before and quit guessing unless you want to spend
nunchs of money. OEM 2 in lift is Bills, unless something has changed recently.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d get my torque wrench out and make sure everything is torqued properly. Could be the nut holding the shock to the top plate. Maybe bottom nut isn’t tight enough.

Last edited:

Taylor513

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with these guys, I'd go through and make sure everything is torqued correctly, maybe try and have someone flex your truck while you watch to see if you notice anything. Otherwise I'd take it in somewhere (if they're open) to see if someone else can see anything up with it.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I believe I have found the reason for the noise and it has nothing to do with the shocks or suspension. On the new Rams the electric fan is held on by one bolt on each side and a piece of rubber like material that is clipped onto the front grill opening and to the bottom of the electric fan shroud. It is very loose on the bottom and when you go over bumps it allows the fan frame to smack against the radiator thus the noise. I added a few sheet metal screws through the rubber and into the fan shroud to stiffen it up, and now no noise.

20200502_101917_HDR.jpg

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad you found the issue and it wasn't serious.