Portable pressure washer, great for winter washing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
This is a review of the WORX Hydroshot Ultra WG649. 725psi

I was looking for a way to clean my black Ram 1500 during the winter without a hose and I thought I'd give this a try.

First, all the weight is in the motor which you set in your water source..a 5gal pail in my case, so the pressure wand is basically just a little heavier than the 2 Lithium batteries which attach to it. I found the Wand with the hose attached to be quite comfortable to hold with the only issue being, actually just as with my electric washer, my MATCC Foam Cannon III quick connection connects at the end of the wand making it awkward. WORX sells it's own foam cannon which connects close to the handle but I'm very happy with the way my MATCC Foam Cannon III works so I'll suffer through it.

UPDATE: I just found a Short Extension which should put the Foam Canon close to the pistol grip. I'll post a pic when it comes tomorrow.

OK, so now the test. Even though I could have used my electric washer I decided to use the WORX so I could test it out. I have a 2020 Ram 1500 in Diamond Black Crystal Pearl and it was almost white with winter road salt and dirt so I thought it would be a good test as this is the exact reason I bought the WORX.

My process was 1.Rinse off the loose stuff, 2. Use the Foam Cannon and foam the truck and let it sit a bit, 3. Use the two bucket wash method to wash the truck, 4. Rinse off the soap, 5.Final Rinse with Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic wax spray and 6. Dry the truck. So that's 3 Rinses and a Foam. The foam actually uses more water than the rinse I think even though it takes less time to apply.

So again, 3 complete rinses and a foam. Water use was 3 buckets. The 725psi Pressure out of the sprayer was very good, maybe perfect for washing a vehicle and as I'm typing this I realize that I didn't have the presence of mind to try the low pressure option.

I bought the washer on Amazon for $269 which was the cheapest I could find it. I found that it is perfect for my application and while I had to fill the pails, there was even an advantage to using the pails over an electric or gas washer. You know what a pain it is to uncoil your high pressure hose, not once but multiple times during a wash? With the WORX that task is easy because you just let the motor end of the hose spin in the bucket as your getting the coils and potential kinks out of the hose.

Also, moving the pail around to the other side of the truck is much easier than moving my electric washer because the electric washer also has a hose and a power cord that you have to drag along. With the WORX it is just the pail.

In summary I'm am delighted with the way the WORX Hydroshot Ultra WG649 725psi washer performed. It washed my truck using three 5 gallon pails of water and still had battery power left after I was finished. Because it is not tethered to a power cord and hose the maneuvering around the truck was effortless as was keeping the pressure hose straight.

If this is you're only pressure washer you can use it year round. When it's warm you can attach the hose directly to the motor and forego the pails. It also comes with a 20' siphon hose that you can attach to the motor and drop the other end in a pool or pond for other cleaning chores. Like I said it works very well with the MATCC Foam Cannon III. WORX sells one also but it has a small opening for the bottle which does not work well for filling the jar.

Expensive, yes, but my only option for winter washing if I want to stay out of the commercial sand blasting car washes.

Last edited:

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the review! I’ll have to seriously consider adding this, dragging the pressure washer and all the associated hoses and cables leaves me RAGING by the end of every car wash.

OP
OP
bill-e

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Thanks for the review! I’ll have to seriously consider adding this, dragging the pressure washer and all the associated hoses and cables leaves me RAGING by the end of every car wash.
You will still need to deal with the buckets though I agree, I can't stand the hose and cord.

I ordered these but haven't tried them yet but they should solve one of the biggest problems I have with dragging a hose around your truck

Car Wash Hose Guide

OP
OP
bill-e

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
Great review!

I also noticed this one...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H7ZSNN...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

... similar idea, $100 less and actually claims more pressure. I recognize the WORX brand but this may be an alternative.

I really like the idea of a battery powered pressure washer and plan to get on at some point.
I looked at that and it may be great but I went with the Worx for 2 reasons. Multi use battery and no motor in the wand to reduce weight.

Buy it, I'd be interested in a review ;)

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I am on the fence with Foam canons, Do they really work as well as the videos show?
if you like getting your ram dirty,they help to lift dirt off as much as possible.i noticed my poweer wagon has soft clearcoat,so i always use my foam cannon before i wash mitt,never sponge or brush.

OP
OP
bill-e

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
if you like getting your ram dirty,they help to lift dirt off as much as possible.i noticed my poweer wagon has soft clearcoat,so i always use my foam cannon before i wash mitt,never sponge or brush.
Can't comment on an off road cleaning but for normal road dirt, I don't see really any difference when I foam. I do think however that after a good pre-rinse and foam, then use your two bucket method with the foam still on the truck and it assures that you have enough lubrication.

The reason touchless car washes work is because they utilize extreme, and coating damaging pH, to release the dirt. pH balanced detergents don't do that and by the way, I really like Carpro Reset for a detergent.

As for mitts, I wash with two mitts and use an above the line and below the line mitt when I wash...overkill maybe. And I like smaller mitts like the Autofiber Dragon for ease of control and wringing out.

And take everything I say with a grain of salt as I am not a detailer.