Portal Axles vs standard lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was always under the impression that the Rebel had specially built skid plates for it as an off road package and that covered most it.
I believe AEV make some skid plates for the Ram 1500 and 2500.
Would be interesting to see what they make of the new 5th ones. I was a fan of the Ram Recruit they make.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you thought of designing a line of skids for the 1500 ? Could be something simple with better built crossmembers that sit higher than the Mopar crap.
Around us not many 1500s let alone any that offroad. Wouldn't be hard though, would need a test truck. About a few months ago we just did a long travel system made from scratch on a 1500 that will beat a Raptor

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4th Gen 1500, and i think including the 4th gen Rebel have a fairly basic set of skids from Mopar only.
Front axel skid that covers the front diff and depending on your crossmember there is a 2nd skid that will protect the power steering. I have an Express and my crossmember doesnt have the holes in the rear of it to get that power steering skid right besides the front diff. I thought to simply drill the crossmember and get a couple of bolts and nuts on that side, but rather than using 2 skids in there i'm thinking to fabricate something on my own and put just one.

Same for the trans, there is nothing that covers the trans at all, Mopar or not.

Transfer case skid is from Mopar only, and that includes a crossmember than hangs low for offroading. sure it works but the crossmember could be drilled to be mounted higher, aftermarket could do better with all these skids, including more sturdy crossmembers as well with better clearance.

No gas tank skid from Mopar or anybody. The gas tank is made of hard composite. it's well made considering is plastic and i'm sure it can whishtand some minor hits, just how many it's something i don't want to find out hehehe.

5th gen 1500's have a skid from Mopar that protects the gas tank (offroad package). Don't know if they have a trans skid, and don't know how the transfer case or front axel skids look like, but i figure somebody at FCA finally thought some people with 1500's like to do expedition/overlanding etc with their rigs so they finally included an e-locker and gas tank skid as part of the offroad package. We didn't get that lucky with the 4th gen.
Haven't owned a 1500 since my 06. Bur if the freshness are relatively the same (if memory serves me they are) most of the skid will work on a 1500. You can be the test truck :D

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Raptor beater?.. I'd like to see that truck.
No pics as it was a customer's truck not mine lol. Dodge actually made a Raptor beater from the factory called the Ram Runner but stopped for some reason.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering if AEV or Expedition One would have skid plates for the 4th Gen RAM; especially AEV since they have the Ram Recruit package.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the gas tank skid from the power wagon and that’s not plug and play. Ended selling that one in Craigslist. Don't know if the other skids from the 2500 will fit.
Im talking about the ones my company makes. They fit the 2500s I'm sure they will fit a 1500 with little or no modification