Ported tb questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
Ok so on a semi stock truck upgrading to the vararam intake. Is it worth the extra 300$ for a 85 or 87mm tb? Or should I wait till I get headers and some other mods?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It's one of the cheaper mods to do, but I recommend getting all your bolt-ons done then putting the throttle body onto it. You can do it in any order you want, but the stock TB will flow more than enough air to feed your mods, the ported TB just does it a little smoother.

OP
OP
mattmid101

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
Ok thanks for the info. Is there any big difference in the 85 and 87? Final plans is a nitrous kit. But they only provide 85mm plate kits. Just match it with a 85mm tb?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference between an 85 and 87mm. Fastman are nice, but I like the 87 I got from Moe's - it looks completely stock unless you actually take the air cleaner off and look inside.

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
So the Fastman TB is 85mm opening to an 81mm bore... and Moe's is 87mm opening to?

DERJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the Fastman TB is 85mm opening to an 81mm bore... and Moe's is 87mm opening to?

Moe's have a bore of 87mm - these are OEM 80mm TBs bored out to 87mm. Maybe Matt will jump in with more details.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
All the ported throttle bodies out there use a stock diameter butterfly, that's the nature of a ported TB. I'm not a fan of them myself but they're priced low enough that it's low hanging fruit for most people who aren't willing to drop $1K on a single mod.

Ok thanks for the info. Is there any big difference in the 85 and 87? Final plans is a nitrous kit. But they only provide 85mm plate kits. Just match it with a 85mm tb?

You'd want an 80mm nitrous plate, the intake manifold inlet diameter is 83mm so a larger plate bore would only introduce a large perturbation into the air flow and defeat any benefit of the smoother flow a ported TB would get you. Flow velocity is what you want to maintain, you're less worried about flow volume unless you're running high RPM or a bigger cube engine

I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference between an 85 and 87mm. Fastman are nice, but I like the 87 I got from Moe's - it looks completely stock unless you actually take the air cleaner off and look inside.

Generally, no, you can't tell the difference between an 85mm and an 87mm. Too many people tell me a Moe's 87mm TB flows more than the BBK 85mm but they don't bother finding out that the 85mm BBK is a true-bore TB and runs an 85mm butterfly compared to the 80/81mm butterfly of the ported TBs.

Moe's have a bore of 87mm - these are OEM 80mm TBs bored out to 87mm. Maybe Matt will jump in with more details.

Again, 87mm is NOT the butterfly diameter, only the throat is bored out.

The Moe's is a factory blade throttle body, 81mm. They give you the size of the inlet and outlet. The Fastman 84 mm is a 84mm blade.

The Fastman 81mm has a half shaft to flow even more despite the factory blade, something Moe's doesn't offer.

Why does most advertise so, because it's marketing and showing numbers to make money not power...

It's a no brainer to go with a Fastman, cheaper and better flow. Or buy into Moe's marketing...

I won't get into your bickering over Matt's marketing, it's tiring. Dan has a good reputation and it's keeping him in business but he obviously doesn't want to go full potato or he'd be out advertising on the forums like he was when I first got into the hemi scene. K&N are not the best intake out there but they're the highest volume selling one, can't take that away from them; same can be said about Matt's TBs, they're good enough for most people to be happy with them. You also can't call Dan's cheaper unless you're sending your TB in to him, his '251's are $377 if you purchase the new TB, same as Matt's $379. Convenience is a BIG market driver, you know this.

The half shaft is all Dan's ported TBs have going for him, they're fractionally better than the other ported TBs and do maintain a lower flow interruption but it's still a ported TB. What does it say about them that if you were to tout the benefits of a ported TB over on the LXF or MMF that you'd be laughed off the board by people who have a LOT more experience with the hemis than most of us combined.

Reactions: doz
OP
OP
mattmid101

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
Damn lots of good info just got served up right thur

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Something else that Jay hasn't seemed to understand yet is that our throttle body is ported to follow the path of the airflow as the TB blade opens. The blade never opens 100%, so its always open at an angle. If you look at our port design, its ported wider at the points where the blade opens the most. Having a larger blade only helps if the blade opens 100% and allows you to utilize the full opening of the port. Keeping the stock blade with the larger port is actually letting more air through.

Carry on with the vendor bashing...

phillips66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 13 Ram 5.7, S&B CAI, Bully Dog Tuner, Magnaflow 2 in - 2 out muffler (Y-Pipe Removed), Oil catch can too. I was running Moe's tb at the time. Truck ran great except for the drone sound when it should upshift and wouldn't. About a year ago I purchased fastmans tb. I installed it at the same time I had the muffler mod done. In my opinion the truck ran better. I rarely get any drone sound now.
After the install of those 2 mods I noticed a drop in MPH. In my normal day to day driving I was get about 16, after the mods it dropped to 15.5.
Here's my question:
With the ported tb, it lets more air in, does that mean it will take more gas to keep the same ratio for what the CPU calls for?