Power fold, or Tow mirrors?

What should I do?

• Fix/Replace tow mirror myself, Sell power fold mirros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put on power fold mirrors (unsure what happens to tow mirrors after that)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Newbie here. Just finished a purchase agreement that I will be finalizing tomorrow. Trading in my '11 1500 Laramie and getting a '14 2500 Laramie w/ the 6.4 Hemi.

During the walkthrough, I discovered the passenger side tow mirror seems to function erratically. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Dealer said no problem, they'll take care of it.

Couple hours later, said dealer calls back and says they are the wrong mirrors for the truck. I've seen the build sheet, so I know they optioned up for the tow mirrors. Long story short, their "fix" for my mirror problem is to order the "correct" mirrors for the truck. The power fold non tow ones.

They gave me the option of 1) swapping the mirrors when they arrive to fix the issue, or 2) if I want the tow mirrors, they will just hand over the OEM power folds, and I can figure out the problem with the tow mirrors myself. There is a 3rd option - I tell them the tow mirrors were on the build sheet, are the correct ones, so order me a new passenger side tow mirror (least favorite of my options though)

I'm guessing its just a loose connection, because the mirror does work. Just not all of the time. Do I keep the tow mirrors on there, or should I just tell the dealer to put the power folds on? I actually thought the truck came with power fold tow mirrors, so I was disappointed to find out otherwise. I've never towed before, but am planning to buy a travel trailer this spring.

So, long story short - Do I keep the tow mirrors on, and sell the powerfold mirrors (or keep for a spare set); or do I tell the dealer to go ahead and put the powerfold ones back on, and just use some clip ons for the once every couple months we tow the trailer?

Thanks in advance - pretty dang excited about picking my truck up in the morning. Its Western Brown in case anyone cares. No pics yet

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also curious - I know power folding tow mirrors are an option now. Can I just tell the dealer to order me '15+ mirrors and have PF tow mirrors? Not sure if they would be a simple swap since I have the power fold option already in the truck

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just an update - did some research and it does sound like the 2015+ power fold tow mirrors are a direct swap (since I already have the power fold option installed).

With that being said - I opted to have the dealer swap the mirrors (when they come in) back to the powerfold non tow. The reasoning behind this, is the powerfold mirrors are nicer (with the dimming) -and I want to be sure my ECU still has the powerfold option. I've heard of people ordering the tow package, getting trailer mirrors and not having the powerfold option "activated", so when they add the mirrors, they don't work.

I figure my best option is to get the truck back, with fully functioning mirrors. Then I can swap to 2015+ mirrors, or go with the A1 option down to road. (The dealership also said they don't care if I hang onto the tow mirrors, so I will still have them if I change my mind again)

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or sel the tow mirrors sonce some of us dont have power folding. Glad you got everything worked out though.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have power fold tow mirrors on my truck. They were swapped in by the dealer and include the defrost feature, puddle lights and signal indicators. They work fine so I would say you are right with respects to a fault in the wiring or the mirror itself.

I say have them fix the problem because that is how the truck is equipped at the time of sale and stuff like this should work.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I'm going to say that the truck should match the build sheet and everything should work, end of story. Their problem to fix it. Ask for the name of the mechanic that inspected the truck(they had to sign off on it) and request that they never touch any of your vehicles in the future.

edit: if they can't handle a simple inspection then a tire rotation or oil change is way out of their league......

OP
OP
G

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, this dealer isn't close enough for me to use outside of the purchase. But as for the power fold tow mirrors, it appears they aren't an option until the 2015's. That's what I'm seeing on the forums, and the dealership also stated this. Maybe I will double check with my local dealer. I know you can get PF tow mirrors through A1, or the 2015's are a direct swap. I have it in writing on my purchase agreement that they are to fix the mirrors. So if you can actually get the power fold tows for 2014 - I will show them the build sheet, and have them order me the correct mirrors. I'll just have to verify that before I call them out on their mistake