power stearing reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I can't believe I'm asking this.. but.. is there any reason one would permanently remove the power steering reservoir cap On a 14' 2500 cummins?

I bought my truck and noticed it wasnt on there, I thought it was for the windshield washer fluid so I wasnt to worried about rushing out and spending money on the cap.

Well about a week ago I went and put a new radiator y pipe on cause mine was leaking. For the first time since I bought the truck I really got into the engine bay and starting looking around finding out where parts are looking for leaks ETC. I guess when I got over to it, I realized I have been driving around with out a cap for 5 months or more, depending on how long it was off before I bought it.

So I guess I have a few questions here.. For one do you guys think that I may have caused any long term issues for driving with out it for so long? Two.. Do I need to get it on ASAP, or is there an actual reason it may have been removed? Does it come from the factory without one, sorta like the fuel tank?

Boy am I dumb, cant believe I didnt figure this out sooner.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is a Cap for a reason. I believe that the opening has a fine mesh screen material. I know I have seen some that do. I would buy a Cap.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Buy a cap. It’s there to keep debris out of a hydraulic system. Some doofus either forgot to put it back on, or didn’t get it all the way on and it bounced off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigbuck92

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok I'll go out and buy a cap. Next question, When I went to the dealer he said they didnt keep them in stock. Would a auto parts store universal one be ok to use?