Power Steering Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping one of you guys have run into this issue before. I got a new power steering pump and I got the pulley off the old one fine but the tool got stuck so I held it while my son tried to loosen the screw but the pulley broke into 3 pieces and I'm not sure why. Called all around and no one sells just the pulley so I call Dodge and the only way to get the pulley is buy a brand new pump through them. So my question is does any one know if there is one that will work? I Googleg the dodge part number on it and it brings up a Dorman pulley but it is a 7 rib instead of a 6 rib. Thanks for any help

OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every junkyard within 2 hours of me doesn't seem to have any. Are they 4.7 pulleys the same as the 5.7?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The pulley is made of a very hard plastic so to keep the weight down on the truck aim sure if you keep looking on line you'll get the pulley you try rock auto.com summit or jegs lots of part sites

OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried all of the above. When to the junk yard to look at Durango with a 5.7 but it's different. Looked at a Dakota and Durango with the 4.7 and they are similar but the center bore is different. Called the dodge dealer back and was thinking about biting the bullet but he told me according to the computer it would be a two week wait. Went back to the parts store and had my friend grab several different pulley and we measured them all but they all had something different about them

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
DID U try going to a junkyard, and have them get on their Intranet listing (U know the junkyards are connected), and order the exact one from another junkyard? What I had to do when I needed an engine for my '85 Cadillac eons ago. Just a thought

From Auto Zone: Looks like a 6 rib, but dunno,., But a thought.

ps pump.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went to the pick and pull this morning (we only have one that you can actually walk around in) and called about 15 that are within 2 hours of me. Called a guy that works at one in Ames and had him get on his computer and check any place that I didnt call or that I couldn't find on car-part.com. After I exhausted that is when I went back to Oriellys and we pulled out anything that I could find that was similar. That's for the responses I guys. According to the parts guy at the Dodge dealer there hasn't been a pulley available for quite a while, aftermarket or OEM.

OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did find one for a 2010 Ram 4.7l that is 2 hours away that I'm going to get tomorrow but I'm not sure it they are the same. When you look at Rock Auto, the "Cardone" part numbers are the same between the 5.7l and the 4.7l but the "Mopar" ones are different.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went to the pick and pull this morning (we only have one that you can actually walk around in) and called about 15 that are within 2 hours of me. Called a guy that works at one in Ames and had him get on his computer and check any place that I didnt call or that I couldn't find on car-part.com. After I exhausted that is when I went back to Oriellys and we pulled out anything that I could find that was similar. That's for the responses I guys. According to the parts guy at the Dodge dealer there hasn't been a pulley available for quite a while, aftermarket or OEM.

well you might have to bite the bullet and purchase the whole unit with the pulley on it simple part can make your whole day go in the *******

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I forget that some people are lucky enough to live where there isn't a lot of businesses, people, or houses. Sometimes it can work against you though. I have 2 junk yards within 2 miles and one has a pick and pull. There are 3 other pick and pulls within 20 minutes. Iowa is a nice place I had been to every Walmart and Sam's club in the state as of 10 years ago for work so I saw a lot of it.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought: A pulley that has either 6-7 ribs should make no difference, as long as same size as old one: Mounts same way, same circumference/width,, if U R running a serpentine belt, just a Thought as w/o looking at, no way can judge... I may be on planet Pluto on this, just my afterthoughts, and those are always skerry...

OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ribbing is different. I just drove the 2 hours to pick up the pump from the 4.7l and the only difference is the pulley. The pulley is bigger on the 4.7l but I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. Might need to try a little longer belt though.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much bigger? Yer tension idler should just keep the vbelt tensioned. Not sure on a larger one, guess all depends. GOOD luck on yer item.

Just an afterthought: U may be able to possibly move the power steering pump is it has an adjustable bracket or maybe the alternator a bit to loosen up the belt a lil if too tight. Of course slightly larger belt may also do it since the adjusters are all automatic spring loaded, not manual and cannot be adjusted that I know of.. But maybe I am talking out the back end, Just some thoughts.....

Again good luck on yer issue

OP
OP
V

ViewAskew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So hopefully this may help someone else with '09/'10 Ram 1500 Hemi if their power steering pulley breaks. The pump from the 4.7l is identical to the 5.7l pump. The pulley for the 4.7l is bigger by about an ⅛" around when lined up center to center. Seeing as how the belt only rides on about a quarter of the pulley I didn't even try to find a larger belt and just ran with the stock belt and it has been driving fine for 2 days now. Thanks again for your help fellas, it's much appreciated.