Power steering pump noisy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
99.9% sure that’s the power steering pump, sounds like a bearing has had it, but. Had it dealer before to have them find “nothing is wrong” it’s 20*f so not extreme cold (I know pumps can be noisy when cold out) anyone else’s truck sound like this?

2016 3500 crew, srw, Cummins (listen closely to video, it does no justice as it’s a lot more noticeable in person)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
How many miles are on your truck?

Your sure that's not belt noise? How old is the belt?

I'd be taking the belt off and spinning everything by hand to check and see if you can isolate where that's coming from. Good luck

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
35k on the truck, it’s been doing it for awhile, belt is original so 2 1/2 years old

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Reading online only makes my head spin more, some guys have had the clutch fan bearing go, and that’s not cheap, some have had idler pulleys, and others a combination of them, bad part is, I have a trip booked for Wednesday, and I need my truck, so by the time I get back, she’s gonna be knocking on 36k. Gonna stop by a ram dealer Saturday and let the service writer listen to the video and see if I can drop the truck off that Monday I get back

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update: appears the tensioner bearing is fried, started listening abit closer to where the sound was coming from, and it’s not the power steering pump (makes me feel a touch better), and it’s not the ac pump (doesn’t stop when it engages) and it’s been doing it since before the water pump recall (got a new pump under that) so that leaves the alt which I highly doubt is shot at 35100 miles, and the clutch fan assembly, again, I doubt it’s shot at 35100, the tensioner seems to be a common failure point, so I ordered a new one and gates green belt from geno’s and have it coming in time for my trip, so I’m gonna toss that stuff in the trailer with my hundreds of tools I’m bringing (snowmobile life [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]) and see if I can get the truck to the dealer right after my trip (I’ll be pushing 36k then) and see if they can get it do to it for them and replace it and keep the one I got for a back up. Or if not, run it for the next month till I can get my car out once winter is done and get it swapped then.

Side note.... as being a machinist by trade, and running lathes on the daily.... has my brain thinking, would an aluminum pulley be a good replacement, since I’ll likely have the old parts I’m half tempted to measure the new one up, and duplicate it out of aluminum on my lathe and go get some high quality bearings and press them in and rebuild the bad one for a back up/improved unit, or if aluminum is bad. I’ve got access to other materials (Delrin, stainless, etc)
01810ab339f5a84c0507e38fa1dc98d6.jpg

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 15 5.7 has made a noise when dirty cold since new.I've always thought it sounded like a cheap bearing in a tensioner or idler pulley warbling.Doubt the dealer will do anything about it until it's a permanent noise.

kanatachris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
‘14 Ram 6.7HO Aisin. Over the last few months, developed a loud whining sound between 1000 & 1500 RPM. Very noticeable when driving around a parking lot or coasting to a stop at a light or sign. Steering input or brake application changed the tone. Replaced the high pressure line, pump to hydro boost. Noise gone. For the life of me can’t figure that one out, but I can here the engine again.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Overdue update: not a tensioner, ac clutch bearings. Running it till she pukes the compressor

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Update: appears the tensioner bearing is fried, started listening abit closer to where the sound was coming from, and it’s not the power steering pump (makes me feel a touch better), and it’s not the ac pump (doesn’t stop when it engages) and it’s been doing it since before the water pump recall (got a new pump under that) so that leaves the alt which I highly doubt is shot at 35100 miles, and the clutch fan assembly, again, I doubt it’s shot at 35100, the tensioner seems to be a common failure point, so I ordered a new one and gates green belt from geno’s and have it coming in time for my trip, so I’m gonna toss that stuff in the trailer with my hundreds of tools I’m bringing (snowmobile life [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]) and see if I can get the truck to the dealer right after my trip (I’ll be pushing 36k then) and see if they can get it do to it for them and replace it and keep the one I got for a back up. Or if not, run it for the next month till I can get my car out once winter is done and get it swapped then.

Side note.... as being a machinist by trade, and running lathes on the daily.... has my brain thinking, would an aluminum pulley be a good replacement, since I’ll likely have the old parts I’m half tempted to measure the new one up, and duplicate it out of aluminum on my lathe and go get some high quality bearings and press them in and rebuild the bad one for a back up/improved unit, or if aluminum is bad. I’ve got access to other materials (Delrin, stainless, etc)
01810ab339f5a84c0507e38fa1dc98d6.jpg

I wouldn't recommend aluminum unless you're going to have it anodized. There is a possibility, however unlikely, that it will wear quicker. I do always upgrade any plastic pulleys to stamped steel if possible (grooved ones are almost never metal).

Overdue update: not a tensioner, ac clutch bearings. Running it till she pukes the compressor

Check with your dealer to see if they have a new clutch assembly available. My wife had the clutch bearings go out on an old Durango, and I thought sure I'd have to replace the entire compressor, until I called up a dealer and they not only listed a new clutch assembly with bearings, but had it in stock.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i changed the clutch assembly on a dakota sanden compressor last year and it was easy as pie

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
‘14 Ram 6.7HO Aisin. Over the last few months, developed a loud whining sound between 1000 & 1500 RPM. Very noticeable when driving around a parking lot or coasting to a stop at a light or sign. Steering input or brake application changed the tone. Replaced the high pressure line, pump to hydro boost. Noise gone. For the life of me can’t figure that one out, but I can here the engine again.

I apologize for the trouble, @kanatachris. We kindly recommend following up with our Canadian Customer Care team for further support. You may either call 1-800-361-3700 or submit your info at https://forms.chryslercanada.ca/contact/en/contactCCI.php?brand=dodge to receive an email follow up.

Mark
RamCares