Power Wagon has a virus?

Mod your truck more or less during lock down

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warwickram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate. Super easy to install. There is a bracket holding the lower portion down to the axle. I could see this being an issue for the rock climbers but shouldn’t be for me. I’m goi g to put some lock tight the bolts and cut the excess off.

View attachment 200410
where did you buy it from

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate. Super easy to install. There is a bracket holding the lower portion down to the axle. I could see this being an issue for the rock climbers but shouldn’t be for me. I’m goi g to put some lock tight the bolts and cut the excess off.

View attachment 200410

That could be hard on the bags. When my axle droops down the bags are several inches from the daystar cradles. And if I try to pull them down to it there is no way in hell I can get them that far.

Although maybe the factory mounts raise them on the axle quite a bit...I dont know, I just tossed them aside on the install. Never really looked at them.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nobody’s drinking corona anymore?? Haha
It’s the vaccine! I’m immunized now and Dos Equis has shown to have some cross protection too. So a six pack of each is recommend but just not at the same time or else you may get one of those “hey y’all watch this” reactions.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where did you buy it from
8lug truck gear. Paid $475 to get the ultimate which has the internal Jounce bumper. Believe you can save $100 to skip the internal bumper. I really don’t know how important it is to have them.

Last edited:

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That could be hard on the bags. When my axle droops down the bags are several inches from the daystar cradles. And if I try to pull them down to it there is no way in hell I can get them that far.

Although maybe the factory mounts raise them on the axle quite a bit...I dont know, I just tossed them aside on the install. Never really looked at them.
I kept the factory lower strike plate on. I believe you removed yours to put the cradles on. I had the back as high as I could get the truck and the wheels were still contacting the ground. I went ahead and mounted the bags to the top brackets(lifted bag with one hand and started screws with the other then tightened with wrench)and then dropped the jack and the bags compressed on the lower jounce bumper strike plate. I thought why the hell did they have you jacking the axle up when that’s all you have to do. So yeah, mine are compressed on the axle even with no air. They recommend keeping 5 PSI in them so you’re not constantly using the internal bumper. With 5 PSI, the truck rides the same as it did without them.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a great deal on my boat during the last recession!

Save that money. Just hook anything big up to that Cummins 3500 that matches your PW. That’s a towing beast!

exactly. The PW is more cosmetic upgrades right now. Really want to focus on lighting but that gets expense fast also

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the decked system and the softopper due to this virus. If I need to head to my cabin in the woods I don’t want anyone’s seeing what’s in the bed/ it’s necessary since everything will fly out do to the loss in bed depth with the drawers. Lol

I also added my PA/ siren system back into the truck. Good for moving stupid people out of the way in a hurry.

I do plan to add lights soon. Virus around these parts is pretty intense. I’m blessed we are able to be in the woods for the most parts of the day with my kids to keep them busy. Not a person in site thankfully. Everything else is closed. I feel bad for people that aren’t in my position and stuck inside. Extremely difficult. Green space is important!

I am doing the same thing. I plan on buying the decked system today. Did you get the SKU number DR4? I didn't see a specific part number for the power wagon, only 6'4" beds on 2500. I'm assuming they are the bed is the same for the PW and standard 2500.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kept the factory lower strike plate on. I believe you removed yours to put the cradles on. I had the back as high as I could get the truck and the wheels were still contacting the ground. I went ahead and mounted the bags to the top brackets(lifted bag with one hand and started screws with the other then tightened with wrench)and then dropped the jack and the bags compressed on the lower jounce bumper strike plate. I thought why the hell did they have you jacking the axle up when that’s all you have to do. So yeah, mine are compressed on the axle even with no air. They recommend keeping 5 PSI in them so you’re not constantly using the internal bumper. With 5 PSI, the truck rides the same as it did without them.

Yea, I never even looked at the lower mounting hardware...only mounted the upper section and used the cradles for the base.

Did you keep the factory power wagon upper bumpstop spacer? If so, between that and the lower hardware being used I reckon you annihilated your compression travel...especially since you keep air in them. I have never left air in them...I thought that was the whole point of the internal bumpstop?

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am doing the same thing. I plan on buying the decked system today. Did you get the SKU number DR4? I didn't see a specific part number for the power wagon, only 6'4" beds on 2500. I'm assuming they are the bed is the same for the PW and standard 2500.
I’ll look back at the order form but the beds are the same yes. I don’t believe they distinguished my truck was a power wagon on the order form. I did order it from OK4WD in nj. Fastest pickup. Took a day to get it in stock

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, I never even looked at the lower mounting hardware...only mounted the upper section and used the cradles for the base.

Did you keep the factory power wagon upper bumpstop spacer? If so, between that and the lower hardware being used I reckon you annihilated your compression travel...especially since you keep air in them. I have never left air in them...I thought that was the whole point of the internal bumpstop?
The upper comes off and a plate is mounted in its place. I was surprised the lower bracket came in contact with the strike plate when I let the truck down. The contact did occur at the the last inch or so of the drop so there was barely any compression of the bag. I thought the same thing about the jounce being there so you could run with no air. I called Air Lift about it and they said it best not to constantly rely on the jounce. But I wondering how much travel it takes to use the jounce? I’m guessing maybe a huge pot hole?

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Pic of the final assembly. I came into the office today with all air out of bags. To me it looks like it would be hard to even use the jounce without something extreme.

B5D0691B-B5BB-4B33-82AA-04F83EC2206A.jpeg

Last edited:

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll look back at the order form but the beds are the same yes. I don’t believe they distinguished my truck was a power wagon on the order form. I did order it from OK4WD in nj. Fastest pickup. Took a day to get it in stock
Thank you much. I can get it at the local Home Depot with home delivery. Once I know I have the right part number I'm pulling the trigger.

OP
OP
Trailmaker

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
A handgun mount is on the short list!! Without the center console, I don’t have many options. and I would not like to pull it off my belt and just put it in one of my 3 cup holders. Not secure plus the 19PW doesn’t have 13 cup holders like the last generation.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The upper comes off and a plate is mounted in its place.

Yes I know how it mounts...was just wondering if you left the power wagons specific spacer above the bumpstop or not.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I know how it mounts...was just wondering if you left the power wagons specific spacer above the bumpstop or not.[/QUOTE
Sorry, I think I just figured out what that is. I’m a novice at this suspension stuff and can be slow in the head! Yes, there was a metal spacer between the jounce bumper and the frame that I removed. From memory it was about 1” wides. I removed that spacer so the Air Lift upper bracket mounted directly to the frame. Being that I’ve never taken a jounce bumper off I didn’t realize it was specific to the PW. By the way, if you google imagines of of Daystar Cradles, your rig comes up!

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called Air Lift and talked with Mike. Great guy and very knowledgeable about their product and physically installs the product . 800-248-0892 ext is 2108 if you ever have any questions about the product. He said it’s fine to run 0 PSI and knows of people doing it for 10 plus years. Running 5 PSI is good for the rubber in the bag and prevents the internal jounce bumper from constantly being used if you do crazy stuff like accelerate through speed bumps or some other abusive exercise. If you drive normal, you’ll be fine with 0 PSI. With the axle mount, you do lose a little wheel travel at 0 PSI and lose more with them inflated for sure(up to 6 or more). If it will last for 10 years at 0 PSI when not in use, I’m good because it will have over 300,000 miles at that point. My question is, will the truck last as long as the air bags?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank