PowerStop or StopTech??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mjscharlotte

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Thanks guys - looks like PowerStop is the way to go. They have great feedback and are reasonably priced. I have noticed that some people have gone with the Z36 kit and some with the Z23 kit. It looks like the rotors are the same but the pads are different. I only tow my 6'x14' utility trailer a few times a year. It only weighs about 1500lbs. loaded. The rest of my driving is basic everyday driving with 50% being highway. I do plan on upgrading the wheels and tires to aftermarket rims and 35" Nitto Trail or Ridge Grapplers. Should I go with the Z23 or Z36 being that within the next 12 months I will have 35" tires? Thanks for all the input - you guys are great.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Thanks guys - looks like PowerStop is the way to go. They have great feedback and are reasonably priced. I have noticed that some people have gone with the Z36 kit and some with the Z23 kit. It looks like the rotors are the same but the pads are different. I only tow my 6'x14' utility trailer a few times a year. It only weighs about 1500lbs. loaded. The rest of my driving is basic everyday driving with 50% being highway. I do plan on upgrading the wheels and tires to aftermarket rims and 35" Nitto Trail or Ridge Grapplers. Should I go with the Z23 or Z36 being that within the next 12 months I will have 35" tires? Thanks for all the input - you guys are great.
I got the z36 & 35’s, installed by Quick-Shifter, he also did fluid flush I have been very happy with them & would definitely change the fluid when you do the brakes46D8ECE9-02E1-4372-A252-50A025F6D777.jpeg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything but R1 concepts! I was torn between powerstop and R1 for my RAM and decided on R1 because at the time, they were the only company that sold aftermarket rotors for my wife's Lexus RC350 F-sport aside from the dealer at $400 each and they gave me a good deal for both vehicles, Drilled and slotted with their black coating for mine and slotted black for hers and ceramic series pads for both. I was also sold on the fact that the sales rep said these would be a big improvement over stock for both vehicles. Damn was he wrong! After installing and bedding the brakes in properly, braking distance increased on both vehicles, hers almost doubled to the point it was unsafe. in addition to the increased braking distance, the brake dust is horrible and the black coating has turned white and looks terrible behind black wheels. talked to their customer service and was told the pads that were sold to me were the wrong pads so they sent me different pads for both vehicles. After bedding the new pads in per their procedure, braking distance improved on my truck, and slightly on her car but the dust is horrible. talked to customer service again and this time was told that their technical dept advised that "their brakes are not really compatible with my wife's car that "They fit and will work, but they do not come close to stock performance and recommend buying OEM pads and rotors from Lexus" I have done countless brake jobs on all of my own vehicles as well as numerous friends and family vehicles and have never had this kind of issue even with the cheapest off brand from the local parts store. I wish I had just gone with my gut and done Powerstop or Stoptech, hell anything but R1.

Which R1 rotors did you use, E Line or Geomet? the E lines are not recommended, the Geomet are! R1 pads are not recommended either. That is why our package consists of the R1 GEOMET rotors and Posi-quiet pads

Had a buddy with a ctsv and I put the R1 rotors and pads on it. Had the same results with his.

Which R1 rotors did he use, E Line or Geomet? the E lines are not recommended, the Geomet are! R1 pads are not recommended either. That is why our package consists of the R1 GEOMET rotors and Posi-quiet pads

Sorry to hear about your experience with the R1 brakes . I got mine from Nick and I noticed a decent improvement over stock and I certainly don't have dust issues.

Personally I would recommend the R1 package I paired it with new oem calipers and stainless flex lines and I flushed the whole system with new fluid l. This was all fine at 85k and in now close to 100k..

Thank you. You have the Geomet rotors which are much better than the E line rotors from R1, also you have the Posi-quiet pads. That is why your experience is better than these. This is a package we personally put together and tested MANY times. Glad to hear you are happy with them and are recommending them, THANK YOU

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I asked in a separate thread. I’m at the point of rotor replacement. Thoughts on a good caliper aftermarket. I can’t seem to see the doing rotor changes without a good caliper change. If I’m doing the power stop I’d like to upgrade the calipers. Any help would be great!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Anything but R1 concepts! I was torn between powerstop and R1 for my RAM and decided on R1 because at the time, they were the only company that sold aftermarket rotors for my wife's Lexus RC350 F-sport aside from the dealer at $400 each and they gave me a good deal for both vehicles, Drilled and slotted with their black coating for mine and slotted black for hers and ceramic series pads for both. I was also sold on the fact that the sales rep said these would be a big improvement over stock for both vehicles. Damn was he wrong! After installing and bedding the brakes in properly, braking distance increased on both vehicles, hers almost doubled to the point it was unsafe. in addition to the increased braking distance, the brake dust is horrible and the black coating has turned white and looks terrible behind black wheels. talked to their customer service and was told the pads that were sold to me were the wrong pads so they sent me different pads for both vehicles. After bedding the new pads in per their procedure, braking distance improved on my truck, and slightly on her car but the dust is horrible. talked to customer service again and this time was told that their technical dept advised that "their brakes are not really compatible with my wife's car that "They fit and will work, but they do not come close to stock performance and recommend buying OEM pads and rotors from Lexus" I have done countless brake jobs on all of my own vehicles as well as numerous friends and family vehicles and have never had this kind of issue even with the cheapest off brand from the local parts store. I wish I had just gone with my gut and done Powerstop or Stoptech, hell anything but R1.

My wife's Lexus is horrible with brakes .... when she first got it she went through 2 brake changes front and back ... now she's gotten better but Lexus are notorious with any brake system ... We did her brakes about 5 months ago maybe and also did the rotors but I don't remember what we added ... next time shes up for brakes im doing powerstop for sure ....

Glen OS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the Z36 PowerStops and their calipers in January. The pedal is solid, love the way it stops. No dust. The bedding process wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, did it on a Saturday morning when traffic was light. The coating on the calipers makes for a tight fit going together.
The red calipers look so cool, my wife wants the same look on her Audi Q5

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
I have the powerstop on mine. Had it now for almost 2 weeks. I love it, I’ll take pictures later.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
So help me out with this:
I have had the powerstops in my cart for awhile, hesitated buying them because someone told me drilled rotors can crack if they get too hot and then cold. (I'm thinking off-roading and then drive through a puddle) is this something I should be worried about?
Also those Wagner pads look awesome, I wonder if using those with my stock rotors would eliminate dusting.

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
I have had the powerstops in my cart for awhile, hesitated buying them because someone told me drilled rotors can crack if they get too hot and then cold. (I'm thinking off-roading and then drive through a puddle) is this something I should be worried about?
Also those Wagner pads look awesome, I wonder if using those with my stock rotors would eliminate dusting.

I personally have never heard that. I have heard that drilled eats your pads faster. The pads that come with the kit or carbon fiber. In two weeks, my wheels are definitely a lot cleaner than they normally are. Also, know that their shipping times are not realistic. Mine took about a week longer than they said they would. I’m sure this has to do with Covid.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

You're over thinking this....

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
What calipers do you have?

The ones provided in the Z36 kit. Got the slotted and drilled rotors front and back, pads, and calipers Red of course :favorites13:.

Pros: they do exactly as advertised! They stop the truck with lift, tires, hauling, towing etc.

Cons: I probably could have made it to 100,000 miles with the stock brakes just to say I did it but I swapped them at 87,000. Truck has 108,000 and I'm thankful every time I have to exit the Arizona freeways at 75+ mph :headbang:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The ones provided in the Z36 kit. Got the slotted and drilled rotors front and back, pads, and calipers Red of course :favorites13:.

Pros: they do exactly as advertised! They stop the truck with lift, tires, hauling, towing etc.

Cons: I probably could have made it to 100,000 miles with the stock brakes just to say I did it but I swapped them at 87,000. Truck has 108,000 and I'm thankful every time I have to exit the Arizona freeways at 75+ mph :headbang:

Ah ok good **** lol ...and dude those Arizona freeways are "SPEEDWAYS" LOL ! ...