Preparing Trailer for Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer that I don’t think I’ll be using in the winter. Plan is to put it in my barn but I would like to get some input or tips and tricks on how to winterize/store until I need it.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
An enclosed empty cargo trailer? No water tanks? Nothing to do.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Wash, wax, put on jack stands so tires are off the ground.

Or do what everyone else does, pull in garage and check tires when you go to use again.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Wash, wax, put on jack stands so tires are off the ground.

Or do what everyone else does, pull in garage and check tires when you go to use again.

^^^This^^^

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had a 7x14 I bought new and never did anything. I think I may have thrown a tarp over it but that was it

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Swap out the air in the tires..... just to be safe :)

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Awesome thanks guys! Anything for the undercarriage? I assume it’s pressure treated wood but I just want to make sure I get many many years out of it.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Awesome thanks guys! Anything for the undercarriage? I assume it’s pressure treated wood but I just want to make sure I get many many years out of it.

It may be too late in the year for it now, but a suggestion for spring would be to jack it up and use a decent roll-on bedliner on the underside. You'll need to do several coats, but it will help make it last. I presume you're going to be storing it outside if you're worried about the undercarriage.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
You could apply FluidFilm to the metal if there's any concern for corrosion.

OP
OP
MojaveWarlock

MojaveWarlock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It may be too late in the year for it now, but a suggestion for spring would be to jack it up and use a decent roll-on bedliner on the underside. You'll need to do several coats, but it will help make it last. I presume you're going to be storing it outside if you're worried about the undercarriage.

It’s in the barn now but I like the idea of bed lining the bottom once the temperatures get back up next year. Difference between roll on and the spray on?

Gave the axel and leaf springs a good soaking with a similar style of fluid film from work when I first got it in June. Think it needs another coat?

I don’t know if it’s enticing enough for mice to try and nest in it, but is there any suggestions to keep them out or stop them from chewing the wiring?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I

I don’t know if it’s enticing enough for mice to try and nest in it, but is there any suggestions to keep them out or stop them from chewing the wiring?

I've read that Irish Spring soap repels them. Get a couple of bars and shave off pieces and spread around the trailer.
Moth balls also work.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It’s in the barn now but I like the idea of bed lining the bottom once the temperatures get back up next year. Difference between roll on and the spray on?

Gave the axel and leaf springs a good soaking with a similar style of fluid film from work when I first got it in June. Think it needs another coat?

I don't know of many quality spray-ons that you can do yourself. Most of the stuff that comes in a rattle-can tends to flake off. The roll-on stuff you can determine the thickness yourself.

Might not hurt to put another coat on your springs and axle, but honestly you're doing WAY more than most people even consider doing for a trailer.

If there's no food or bedding type materials, chances are the mice will leave it alone. Some other suggestions have been given, though, that will help.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've read that Irish Spring soap repels them. Get a couple of bars and shave off pieces and spread around the trailer.
Moth balls also work.

This! I made the mistake one year of not putting moth balls in my travel trailer and that is the only year I had mice get in it.

I also found out where they were coming in at and sealed it real good. But I won't chance it agsin

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I store mine inside a polebarn, so all I've ever done is wash it, max the air pressure, relube (repack if not ezlube) the bearings, lube any hinges (doors, ramps, tongue, etc), and make sure it's level when parked. Now if it was out door I'd probably make sure to have it tilted so the water would drain off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990