Problems wiring up LED running board lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sentient_beard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey all, newbie first post.

I just finished mounting and running the wires through to the cab for some LED running board lights that are supposed to illuminate white with the dome/courtesy lights(this works fine), amber with the DRL/driving lights as well as the turn signals (this does not work so well). I tested the light strips before mounting them, so I know they work. But I can't seem to find the correct wires to tap into for the DRL and the turn signals. I also can't seem to find any helpful diagrams for a DIY-er like myself. I'm not an electrical engineer, so wiring schematics are like deciphering hieroglyphics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2018 RAM 2500 Big Horn, Crew Cab, Longbed, 4x4.

OP
OP
sentient_beard

sentient_beard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've been able to get the dome and driving lights working. Still haven't been able to figure out the turn signals though.

Kalill Nieto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello there. The "easy" way is taking those signals from each headlamp, you need right to right and left to left right? Both with parking. So, take the left headlamp and take both signals from the headlamp harness, parking and turn, then send the wires to that side. The same with the right side.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Side taps and connect to fuses in fuse box under engine hood. I have similar setup that I have had for a while but have yet to install. I had checked options as I'd rather wire in engine bay vs bring in to cab. The interior light had been an issue for me, but it looks as if I can tap the headliner dome light wire by removing dash panel on drivers side of dash beside the door. Is that were you tapped for interior light?

PS, if you use the side taps I suggest installing in the reverse of the package direction. The reason is that the package sets it up so that the old circuit draws only thru the original fuse and the new thru its own. The problem here is that the feed wiring could in theory could be overdrawn and not protected should there be an issue as both circuits could draw up to their fuses max without popping, i.e. an original 10 am circuit with a side tap using a 10 amp fuse installed in the standard direction could draw 20 amps from the feed circuit and overload it. If you install in the reverse the feed circuit is still drawn thru the original 10 amp and is protected, while the "tapped" circuit also draws thru the original 10 amp fuse so it can't overdraw the feed circuit. I also plan to use a much lower fuse on the tap circuit, like 3 or 5 amp as its only LED. Should I need more current then I would use the tap as a trigger signal to a relay and connect the relay switched / load circuit to the battery or other main power connection point and fuse it out separately. (i.e. is I was using the running lights as a master control to assure off road lights turn off when the trucks lights are off)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sentient_beard

sentient_beard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for those tips!

I've got the wires from each LED strip grounded under the hood, and then run through a grommet in the firewall on the driver's side, that's where I tapped into the dome and running lights.
I suppose I could pull the turn signal wires for each LED strip back into the engine bay and route up to each headlamp for the turn signals.....

ISKRA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added 5050 SMD LED light strips under my cab to add in illumination with the mirror puddle lights (approach lighting). To make this work with the computers/modules of the truck, I had to run a trigger wire from the door module to a relay in the engine bay. That gave me the power I needed since the module isn’t strong enough to run a strip. More wiring than I cared for, but it works!
136C7C11-9583-4D55-AF8B-DA8947E09A66.jpeg

waross63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Where did you all locate the wire in the engine bay for the courtesy lamp. I have baffled. I have less along running boards and only desire to hook them to courtesy circuit. Spent two hours yesterday trying to find a place to put a wire through the firewall and finally have up.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wire goes through right by steering shaft. You’ll see a big grommet there, rubber, push that out of the way with a flat head screwDriver (easiest to use), then push your wire through. This is how I do all my wiring in my 2011 1500.

LexXxus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wire goes through right by steering shaft. You’ll see a big grommet there, rubber, push that out of the way with a flat head screwDriver (easiest to use), then push your wire through. This is how I do all my wiring in my 2011 1500.

That is not the answer to this question....

Please show where in the fuse box the fuse location to where we tap into.
What is the number of the fuse in the fuse legend on the inside of the fuse box cover?

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuse? Check YouTube (forget channel) or even better look at the manual for your truck. Sorry I wasn’t any help.

Riddawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for those tips!

I've got the wires from each LED strip grounded under the hood, and then run through a grommet in the firewall on the driver's side, that's where I tapped into the dome and running lights.
I suppose I could pull the turn signal wires for each LED strip back into the engine bay and route up to each headlamp for the turn signals.....
Where is the dome light wire that you tapped into? I’m wanting to add running board lights and I can’t find any information on the dome light wiring

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have interior LED courtesy lights under the rear seats or under the dash, you can tap into the plug wiring at those locations. I used the plug under my rear seats for the floor LEDs to power the white LED lights on my side strips. Tapped into each sides turn/running lights up front then ran that back through the firewall into the cab, under the door sills and then down through the rear storage bins to get to the light strip connections..