Proven Ground C&L performance muffler review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

versicolor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I been looking to install a muffler on my 2018 ram 1500. Wasn't looking to go too aggressive and like most others didn't want it excessively loud in the cab or to have much drone. Its my daily and I also take a trip a few hours away every month. Just wanted some extra grunt is all. Settled on this proven Ground setup with 5 inch tips. The videos and reviews seemed to be what I was after.

Just installed it last night. Removing the stock muffler was rough going but install of the new one was no problem. Everything fit and lined up perfectly. Took me a couple hours to cut out and remove the old system but only about a half hour to install the new one. Truck on the ground.

So how does it sound?. Its not loud. First cold start it had a nice low, deep tone, a little rumble. Revving it up is nice. Its a sweet, smooth tone. Nothing raspy. I would say it's on the more mellow side. Louder and meatier than stock but not by a ton. Inside the cab with windows up it is actually very quiet. You can hear the idle but it's just a low rumble. While at cruising speeds, it's quiet. You would be hard pressed to guess there is a different muffler in there while highway driving. Zero drone and very smooth. Its when you get on the gas that you feel and hear it. And even then I would say it's on the more mild side of sound. Its definitely better than stock and obvious that something is under there other than stock. But you aren't going to wake up the neighborhood in the morning. It does wake up the hemi. Its nothing crazy and doesn't scream. But it goes about one or two levels up from stock so you know you got something.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. If I'm being honest it could be a little louder, a little more growl, a little more aggressive. This is the performance model and I see that they also have the aggressive model. I would be interested to hear that one, but I'm gonna roll with this one for a while and I think I'll be happy. It checks off most of the boxes for me. Its just a touch on the mellow side of what I was after. Otherwise it's just right. on a scale of 1 to 5, stock being one, I would say this muffler is level 2 on volume and 3 or 4 on sound. Its does have a nice sound to it.
I'm installing a cold air intake today. I know that's a debatable addition but I'm gonna do it and I'll see if that increases the volume at all. I'm not counting on it but you never know.IMG_20211015_100835903.jpg Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to answer.
IMG_20211008_082310768.jpgIMG_20211015_100906302_HDR.jpgIMG_20211008_082330561_HDR.jpg

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had that on my truck since the first of the year it will get a bit louder. I swapped out about a month ago to a jones flowpack.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably about 6 weeks. Sounded good, just wanted a different sound, changing the exhaust makes it seem like a new truck to me, so I don't buy a new one.

OP
OP
V

versicolor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the cold air intake installed. It did give a little more grunt to the sound and the truck feels like it has a bit better acceleration. At least my brain thinks so. I also noticed minor leaks on all 3 pipe joints to the muffler. So I removed the clamps and applied some permatex putty to them. Seems to have taken care of the leaks but I'm gonna keep an eye on it because I'm not 100% sure. The entire setup is sounding and feeling better and better as it breaks in. I'm actually really liking the exhaust tone and the volume. Its nice to have zero drone but still be able to have that little extra meat to it.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been looking at this system and the aggressive model as well. I like the 5 inch tips for sure! Hard to decide between the 2 models. My truck is also my daily and I tow a camper in the summer occasionally so I don't want anything obnoxious or with drone. Maybe I will look more at this. Good to see some feedback on this. Keep in touch on how it holds up!

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice looking truck and review. Every muffler I've ever had has gotten a bit louder over the first few months. I'm sure yours will change a little as well. Glad you like it. Took me several before I was happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio