TRANSMISSION REQUIRES SERVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBsan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7 L
Recently I've had 2 events related to the following message -T RANSMISSION REQUIRES SERVICE - DO NOT SHIFT OUT OF DRIVE OR SHUTOFF ENGINE - UNTIL - YOU GET TO A SUITABLE LOCATION - YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT. At this time I believe I went into LIMP mode as she would not shift UP past 1st gear. In addition I had multiple messages along with the CHECK ENGINE light. I was hitting 3k RPM at about 35 MPH. I limped to a local shop and they were able to read some codes but unable to reset the CEL. I had 10 engine codes, 2 transmission codes and 3 ABS codes. There appeared to be lack of comm between the TCM, ECM and the BCM. He couldn't nail down a specific failure with his reader. So, I thought I would buy AlfaOBD (for the PC) and the OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth and read the data with my PC. I am struggling with AlfaOBD. The CHECK ENGINE light was reset the first time by another shop. The second time it seemed to reset on it's own when I hooked up with the OBDMX. Struggling a bit with AlfaOBD as I could not find any current faults. I have an appointment with a dealer on Monday, but, I'm wondering if water ingestion might cause this through the rear window and the RF HUB or what have you?

OP
OP
BBsan

BBsan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7 L
So the dealer has determined that we should change the transmission valve module. I've received very little detail on how the technician came to that conclusion (last Friday after having the vehicle for 5 days). They sent a quote for their intended repair to my extended warranty company as I bought the truck out of warranty. They are quoting about $1000 in labor to change the subject part and about $5K for the module. You can buy one on-line for $2k or less. I talked to the service adviser yesterday to try and get more detail and she said she could only read me the computer entry as it is difficult or not set-up to print out. This apparently was discussed over the phone with the warranty company. So far, no feedback from the warranty company. To me it sounded more like an electronic issue and not a hardware issue, but I wasn't doing the T/S. Fult codes originally set and told to me by another shop before going into the dealer: U0129, U0102, U1141, U0402, U11C2, U1110, U110A, U11BC, U113E, U0001, P1DD2, U0140, U0002 and U0126.

OP
OP
BBsan

BBsan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7 L
Valve module.

Attachments

• VALVE MODULE.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 16

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So the dealer has determined that we should change the transmission valve module. I've received very little detail on how the technician came to that conclusion (last Friday after having the vehicle for 5 days). They sent a quote for their intended repair to my extended warranty company as I bought the truck out of warranty. They are quoting about $1000 in labor to change the subject part and about $5K for the module. You can buy one on-line for $2k or less. I talked to the service adviser yesterday to try and get more detail and she said she could only read me the computer entry as it is difficult or not set-up to print out. This apparently was discussed over the phone with the warranty company. So far, no feedback from the warranty company. To me it sounded more like an electronic issue and not a hardware issue, but I wasn't doing the T/S. Fult codes originally set and told to me by another shop before going into the dealer: U0129, U0102, U1141, U0402, U11C2, U1110, U110A, U11BC, U113E, U0001, P1DD2, U0140, U0002 and U0126.
Google all those codes,so you have a better idea of what they mean

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Time for a new battery...

A valve module dohokie costs more then the 4500 it should cost for a new 8 speed? Why not just get a new transmission at that point?

OP
OP
BBsan

BBsan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7 L
Time for a new battery...

A valve module dohokie costs more then the 4500 it should cost for a new 8 speed? Why not just get a new transmission at that point?
thanks. I do have a recent battery. So, a new transmission is $4500 less. Interesting. Waiting to hear from warranty company at this point. On hold actually.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
thanks. I do have a recent battery. So, a new transmission is $4500 less. Interesting. Waiting to hear from warranty company at this point. On hold actually.
Yeah one of the good aspects on the 8 speed was it had low replacement costs compared to other transmissions. Some people call them disposable transmissions.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah one of the good aspects on the 8 speed was it had low replacement costs compared to other transmissions. Some people call them disposable transmissions.
I think you have the ZF and the RFE mixed up Mike,lol.The RFE is a disposable/throw away transmission,as no matter how much money you throw at it's still gonna break and let you down,lol. If you hang around the hi-po facebook pages,there's at least 1 guy a week with a blown up RFE ;) Even in stock form the 8HP70 will handle 650+:waytogo: