Puck system- Removal and install issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
On my new 2020 Ram 3500 I have the factory puck system. I also received the Mopar M25 5th wheel hitch with my truck. I followed the directions for the install and all went well. I removed the hitch to use the truck bed and it was tight, but removed with out tools or pry bar.

Reinstalling I used a chain fall. But I was not directly under the chain fall, Off by a couple of inches. So I wasn't perfectly straight going in. And I had issues re-installing the hitch.

I will have time this evening again to play with the hitch. Are these hitches so close in tolerance to require a very close alignment to "drop in". Once in, the handle close easily, with a slight resistance.

What have y'all found?

JRS950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I don't have the Mopar hitch, but my B&W goes in and out without too much trouble. I line up the pucks as close as I am able and then tweak it to get it all the way in. You just have to make sure the handles wide open. It takes some time to get good at installing.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Do you leave in the little trim ring when the center caps are out? That ring will mess you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Digger Dan 188

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD Big Horn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 370HP
My present 2019 2500 HD Big Horn did not have the puck system in it. I ordered it on the internet and installed it myself in a day. By using a couple of slight modifications I did not have the unbolt the bed per the instructions. But that's another thread.
My previous Ram (short box) had the puck system, so I have a BW Ram Puck Type Companion Slider Hitch (300 lbs +). You don't move this puppy by yourself!! Takes three to move it comfortably. I just bought a fifth wheel lifting bracket from BW ($42 on Amazon). It locks into the jaws and I can lift my hitch almost level. Had a small chain fall from Harbor Freight that I rigged up on a truss in my shop. It worked out GREAT!! I was able to put my hitch in by myself. Lifted hitch off the storage cart I built to store it high enough to clear the bed. Backed under hitch, lowered it in place, and it went right into the pucks. I had to do some minor adjustments to get it to lock in, but not a big deal. I agree these hitches are very close tolerance, but once you get it dialed in you'll love it!!
I recommend checking out the BW site for this lifting bracket. It is well worth the price.
Be Safe out there!