Puff of black smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had not thought about the filter being the issue, but that would make sense. I'll swap it and try that out shortly!
It was a joke Bud.I do really have no love for K & N though.

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
It was a joke Bud.I do really have no love for K & N though.

Got it, but it is still something to check as that is something that I swapped out right before the puffing started. That and the tuner went on about the same time and I still noticed some puffing after disabling the tuner for a while. Doesn’t hurt to check since I think I have another filter laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get rid of that KN oiled filter , run a dry filter , manufacturers got rid of oiled filters back in the 60s for a reason.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would be a little surprised if the damage has not already been done. If the engine is dusted and you will know shortly after replacing the filter. If the smoke doesn't go away, I believe you have internal engine damage.

Mike

OP
OP
KyleW2

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I would be a little surprised if the damage has not already been done. If the engine is dusted and you will know shortly after replacing the filter. If the smoke doesn't go away, I believe you have internal engine damage.

Mike

Only noticed it one time on the road (quick puff under heavy acceleration) and nothing since. I haven’t noticed anything on the garage floor lately, but I am curious now that the check engine light reappeared if it will spit some again on start up.

I know the truck does burn some oil(not a lot), but the “lifetime” powertrain warranty claims that burning a quart of oil every 750 miles is acceptable so they refuse to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk