Pure gold Key ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
I just called the dealership to order a spare key fob for my 2012 Ram...The guy said with tax and all, it would be about $270...:eek:...Thats almost as much as I paid for my old 83 Plymouth that cruised me all over the place as a teenager...Times sure have changed..I have become the grumpy old man that remembers cheaper times...:cool:

I think I did $125 at Carmax.

Hop head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter V8
I have a 2012 that I bought last September and it only came with one key that was worn out. I got a replacement from a local locksmith and it was just under $200 programmed. Ouch! The dealership wanted close to $300.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
FYI, I did some sniffing, and apparently, Ace Hardware does keyfobs for Rams as well... the only caveat is that you have to buy one of their fobs to do it (you can't just bring one in - apparently it has to do with the fact that they use their own custom-made fob circuitry, so they can only program their own stuff.)

I intend to test this out either this week or next, depending on how much spare time in-town I have tomorrow (or next Tuesday)... this is just what I got off the phone. Also note that I just have the basic remote-lock/panic-button fob w/ the built-in valet key ("fobik"?) Not sure ab't the ones with the remote-start and/or suspension-rig buttons.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just called the dealership to order a spare key fob for my 2012 Ram...The guy said with tax and all, it would be about $270...:eek:...Thats almost as much as I paid for my old 83 Plymouth that cruised me all over the place as a teenager...Times sure have changed..I have become the grumpy old man that remembers cheaper times...:cool:
What did you end up getting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DirtyWipers

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you end up getting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I still havn't gotten one yet...I just can't see spending that much for a spare key...Maybe I'm just being too tight? :think:

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Being that RAM is now an Italian brand - FIAT owned - chances are your key was designed by Versace in Milan - Thus the high price :artist1:

Jeremiah walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought a new key off ebay for around $40. My local locksmith charged me another $40 to program it. You just have to make sure the key is new and never programmed to another RAM or it wont work (made that mistake the first time).

warwickram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have maxicare read your warranty,you are intitled to 2 free key fobs .lost or broken.i walked into my ram dealership walked out with a new free fob

warwickram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you have maxicare read your warranty,you are intitled to 2 free key fobs .lost or broken.i walked into my ram dealership walked out with a new free fob