Question about Bedliners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick Stewart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Deisel
Hello All,

First question and this is my first real truck. My experience is mainly with cars. So here is my question, Is a spray on bed liner worth the price or should I just install the Dualliner? I am asking for your opinion.

I was told by the dealership that they would have the liner sprayed in at their cost. I called the location and I was given a quote of around $500.00 since it is a long bed. Is that a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Line-X install is $450 around these parts, so if $500 is "dealer cost" that seems pretty high. If that is what the shop is quoting you direct that's inline, most places seem to run about $450-550 depending on model.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$500 is what I paid for my line x bed liner.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yes, get the sprayed-in liner and no, don’t have the dealer do it. Take it to a Line-X place yourself so that if you have an issue with the job, or a warranty issue down the road, you don’t have to work through the dealer. Direct is always best, IMHO.

Best,
DG

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, get the sprayed-in liner and no, don’t have the dealer do it. Take it to a Line-X place yourself so that if you have an issue with the job, or a warranty issue down the road, you don’t have to work through the dealer. Direct is always best, IMHO.

Best,
DG

This

Think I pod like $500-550 for line X premier... well worth it! Wouldn’t have went any other route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Line_X costs about $500 near me. I doubt I will ever do it again. It does look nice AND has a lifetime warranty but it does not take much abuse.
My Installer was not very good, so it is easily nicked and then peels off. Just teh tailgate, so far.

My old 1999 2500 had a plastic one piece liner inside its box. That truck liner took serious abuse. Worked it hard. Hauling heavy stuff, shoveling stuff in and out of it. While it had a few nicks, nothign went through and it still looked good. Protected the paint too. When I traded the truck, I was curious as to what it looked like, underneath. So, I lifted the liner out and bed still looked brand new, 15 years later.

Everything I read says the installer is key to these spray in liners. Paint must scuffed up, everywhere, in order for the spray liner to stick.
Plastic liner is imple, stick it in, forget about,bed box still looks new when you take it out.
down side is stuff will slide around.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently got quite from Line-X and Rhino liner , and they are both right at $500 near me. (Utah) and that's for their standard liners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I had my truck rhino lined a month after I got it. I think it's their hybrid liner or something . Just over $500 and looks good. Some overstay between the cab and bed. They had a reason for this, it's not a major issue and they gave me a discount.

I do really like this liner versus other plastic drop in liners. I've hauled wood, concrete block, old window parts, etc in it and it looks great yet. The one poster who stated no paint damage is lucky. Often times debris, cinders etc gets between the liner and the bed and over time that destroys the paint and the bed rusts.,, I've seen it many times. To each their own though. My liner is holding up great So far and I'm glad I had it installed.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had my oem plastic liner in for several years and to the end it still looked brand new. For my new Ram, I’m going with a bedrug as soon as a “ true “ 2019 one becomes a available.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I had my oem plastic liner in for several years and to the end it still looked brand new. For my new Ram, I’m going with a bedrug as soon as a “ true “ 2019 one becomes a available.

Did you ever remove it to see what the bed paint looked like?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Did you ever remove it to see what the bed paint looked like?
I’ve removed a few of mine over the years. Minimal paint rubbing in a few areas but overall good shape. I beat a bed up. I’ve had no liner, plastic liner, spray liner. Depends on how you use your truck really. The good quality plastic liners will actually prevent dents inside the bed. Everything slides. Liners hold up well, and stuff don’t slide as easy but bed can get dented “ I’ve done it”. Guess it’s really going to depend on what you want to spend and how you use your bed. I know I cant use a bed rug lol yuck between hay water and poop that’d be a nasty mess :boxed:

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the plastic drop in for my old frontier. Over the years it rubbed the paint of the bed in a few places. Nothing major but what seemed to be the bigger issue is that it trapped moisture and dirt which lead to rust through in some spots.

So if you have the drop in I would recommend pulling it out every year and cleaning the bed under it.

My RAM came with the factory spray in liner. I like it but it's rough on knees when climbing around back there. Added a full BedRug and now it's more comfortable than my living room! I do plan on taking it out once a year to clean underneath it, just like a drop in, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had 2 trucks with the plastic bed liners, never again, BOTH trucks ended up with rotted out beds. Plastic liners were super slippery. **** flew everywhere in the boxes.
When i bought my first 2010 hemi truck new (SC 4x4), no liner of any kind, just bare paint. Rotted between the spot welded panels just ahead of the tailgate.
My 2nd 2010, (QC 4x4) same thing happened... bed rotted in the same place as my first 2010 @60K miles. Even the bumpers rotted.
Then i bought a new 2014 sport, special ordered, option loaded, got the OEM sprayed liner... traded in @ 80K miles, no rust.
Just bought a new 2018 sport couple months ago. Same truck as my 2014, sprayed OEM liner.
Friend of mine, with a 2010 sport qc 4x4, OEM sprayed liner, 120k miles, his still looks new. His hasn`t chipped or peeled anywhere. Little faded, but thats fixable.

I use my truck as a truck, i didnt buy it to be a street queen, teenager show truck, midlife crisis truck. The OEM liners are holding up great in my opinion.
This 2018 sport i have now, i undercoated the box to preserve it better, its the last truck i`ll ever buy, hoping it holds up, i`m retiring soon (counting the days).

The thing about the aftermarket spray in liners, it all depends on the installer. I`ve seen good jobs, i`ve seen very bad jobs. Prep is the key here.
I opted for the special ordered OEM sprayed-in liner because i didnt wanna have to worry about dealing with all the issues with aftermarket bandits.
So with saying that, i`ll stick with the OEM... i`ve not had one single issue in 80k miles with the last truck. And they thru it in on the deal for free, BOTH times, BOTH trucks.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was never sure if the bed on my Frontier rusted out because of the drop in liner or just because I didnt take uber-care of it (like FluidFilm, etc). Ill take some of the blame, the drop-in liner did cause dirt to clog the small drain at the cab side of the bed, which caused water to pool there and eventually start to rust out the back wall of the bed. Granted, beds are not structural elements, but I had to remove mine to replace the rusted out (ha!) gas tank and it pained me to just put it back on full of holes.

If you have anything but a spray-in, I think the key is to remove the liner and clean out the bed. Sweep out dirt, dust, rocks, etc. then pressure wash it and let it dry completely before reinstalling the liner. Thats what I plan on doing with my BedRug real soon now, along with another spray of Corrosion Free on the undercarriage.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
Get LINE-X Premium, it won't fade like Rhino or the factory liner.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad claimed his buddies used to remove the plastic drop in liners, go buy a big bucket of grease and thickly grease the entire bed before putting the plastic liner back in. He told me they never had a rust issue. I never tried it and currently have my Ram sprayed with Line-X but if I was using my truck as a work truck and hauling nasty crap like metal and cinder blocks all day I would give it a shot. It sounds crazy enough to work.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad claimed his buddies used to remove the plastic drop in liners, go buy a big bucket of grease and thickly grease the entire bed before putting the plastic liner back in. He told me they never had a rust issue. I never tried it and currently have my Ram sprayed with Line-X but if I was using my truck as a work truck and hauling nasty crap like metal and cinder blocks all day I would give it a shot. It sounds crazy enough to work.

Its not really different than having the undercarriage sprayed with Fluid Film. You wouldnt coat a bed with just a spray-on liner because it would get all over your stuff, but between the bed and a drop-in probably isnt a terrible idea, but it will tend to hold dust and dirt in place rather than letting it possibly drain out the built in drain hole(s).

I havent pulled my BedRug yet...interested to see what is under it....it seems to fit far "tighter" than any drop in liner Ive ever had, so less chance of crap getting behind it.

Jeffmiller32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My spray in was $350 (AZ). I haven’t really used my bed yet for anything so can’t say anything about the durability. But it looks great. They did a superb job on the install. No overspray and super clean lines.

7D132CE3-D934-44CE-A63B-C058741D0D08.jpeg

415AA830-919C-4E89-BCE9-B98C9AB4FDFC.jpeg

469B2504-D81B-4B83-9E7A-774ED0854303.jpeg