Question about those that own 6'4" vs 5'7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went from a long to a short and even though I use my truck for deck building, the shorter bed hasn't made a lot of difference. It is easier to park and U-turn in an intersection. Also makes trailer maneuvering a little easier.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
It is only in recent years that crew cabs became the norm for small trucks. I remember seeing the crew cabs even on mini trucks in Central America where the truck was the only vehicle that the family would own.

Then 30 years ago the super cabs started to appear on U.S. pickups and with the longer cabs came shorter beds. Now with crew cabs that are even longer the beds are made even shorter to keep the truck short enough to fit in a garage or a parking space.

Regular cabs are still available with the standard 8' box but with crew cabs buyers they need to decide on a short or a very short box. With the Rebel trucks if one wants the crew cab version then they are stuck with the ultra short box.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with a 6-4 bed. Had the 5-7 and wasn’t enough. That’s what she said

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then 30 years ago the super cabs started to appear on U.S. pickups and with the longer cabs came shorter beds. Now with crew cabs that are even longer the beds are made even shorter to keep the truck short enough to fit in a garage or a parking space.

Regular cabs are still available with the standard 8' box but with crew cabs buyers they need to decide on a short or a very short box.
This only concerns half-tons, man. You can get a crew cab 2500 even with an 8 foot bed.

As I’ve said many times; when it concerns half-tons, the majority of people are looking for cab space, not bed space. They like trucks, but they’re not interested in how much stuff they can fit the bed. That’s just how it is with modern day half-tons. Most people don’t buy half tons to work out of. They buy em as daily drivers... take the kids to school... take the kids to soccer practice.... and travel in. People who want to park these things in their garage. Make a quick U-turn at an intersection. Fit in a normal parking space. The majority of people these days who look to buy half ton pick ups, that’s what they look for in these trucks so that’s why it only makes sense for them to make what the general public wants.

With the Rebel trucks if one wants the crew cab version then they are stuck with the ultra short box.
True but if that longer short bed is just that absolutely of a must to settle against the Rebel, it’s not like you can’t just choose another trim that does offer a crew cab/6’4” bed configuration and outfit it to damn near the same exact specifications as the Rebel. You can get the locking rear diff in other trims. I’m pretty sure you can opt for the regular transfer case that the Rebel has. You can even opt for the off-road package; factory LT offroad tires. May not say “Rebel” on it but it’ll be pretty much the same truck. Even with air-conditioned seats; something that’s not even available on the Rebel...lol.

But as far as why the Rebel only comes with the shorter short bed in CC form, I have no idea why that is. Makes no sense. It’s not like there’s anything different in the Rebel frame that wouldn’t allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: