Question about those that own 6'4" vs 5'7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So for those that have driven both, what say you about living with the 6'4" box? Does it suck parking, does it slow it down?
If you know how to use you sideview mirrors, parking isn't a problem with a CC w/6.4' bed. I love having the larger bed, it does take making turns slightly wider and some parking spots are a no-go if you don't like having your truck sorta hang out.
I'm not too concerned about speed, but it does tow a 28' trailer nicely.

OP
OP
L

lilsebastian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well an update to my update. Unfortunately the one I thought I had was sold. I have now found another that is two hours away. It has the NOrth package (which is great for factory elocker), along with my other requirements but it has the 6'4" bed. It is $2000 but has the North Package and it is a Big Horn 2, so it has a few more whistles. Also not an etourque hemi, which I am okay with. I think I will be fine with the 6'4" as I have thought it over and read the above posts. Of course my dream truck is a Power Wagon, and that would be the same dimensions so... If I can get the same type of deal, Ill be making the two hour drive.

JonnyQuest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque Hemi
The only real concern I can see with getting a CC with the longer bed is fitting it in a garage. Many garages aren't large enough to accommodate a truck with this configuration.

It is worth checking, but mine fits perfectly, and we have shelves that take up some of that space as well. I have a 6'-4" Laramie. I haven't had any issues with maneuverability at all, and I really like the extra space, particularly when packing up things to go to the Outer Banks, NC.

BigMary

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 2019 1500 Classic Crew with with the 5'7" bed. The truck came with the hitch so I got the dealer to throw in a brake control because I plan on getting a camper and I also didn't want the trailer mirrors. This is my third truck with a 5'7" and any time I need a little more length in the bed for hauling anything I left the tail gate down.

Picdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
No the Tow Mirrors on the 1500 delete the power mirrors. They are not power folding and not heated as far as I know. I don't want them.
They are heated and power but not power folding . At least on my 19 classic

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Myself I have a 2015 Crew with the 6'4 bed. I find it perfect for me, but you do have to be more picky about what parking spots you choose, and mine does not fit in my garage due to the length, but I don't find it to be an issue. Remote start gets the truck nice and warm in the winter and makes getting the ice and snow off easier. The backup cam and rear parking sensors I find very handy and certainly make parking easier in parking lots, because as others have mentioned it is much easier backing into a parking space.

Michael L Hensley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regarding the length of the bed. I cannot imagine owning a truck with the short bed. I know there is only an 11 inch difference, however that can be a game changer for moving items (my kayaks are 10 feel long). Driving and parking is never an issue. When it comes to parking, I prefer to back in as it is much easier to precisely aim the vehicle with the pivot point (rear wheels) leading. Besides, if you can not handle a truck...drive a Prius and quite taking up multiple parking spots. If nothing else, please park out in the open where there is plenty of space.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Just to add; if you get the Ram boxes, which all owners who have them will recommend, you get a longer ram box with the longer bed. Several more cubic feet of storage.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
No the Tow Mirrors on the 1500 delete the power mirrors. They are not power folding and not heated as far as I know. I don't want them.

They have fixed that in the 2021 models from what I hear. The "tow" mirrors will fold, heat, and have the cameras built-in too. Someone may need to verify that though for us....

Elwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I started out looking for a 5'7" but ended up with a 6'4". The shorter bed would've allowed garage parking, but it would've been tight. I'm liking the longer bed, can carry longer items with the tailgate closed. Enjoying a less crowded garage I can actually use. I park outside, but for $24.99 I have a plan with the car wash up the street, go there 3 times a week. Dirty windshield, hit the car wash. I tow a small trade trailer sometimes, no issues. Even towing it, 3500lbs, over hills and passes have seen 15 mpg and 24 sometime not towing on level ground. Think I have 3.21 gears, based on downloaded window sticker.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
They have fixed that in the 2021 models from what I hear. The "tow" mirrors will fold, heat, and have the cameras built-in too. Someone may need to verify that though for us....
Yeah. It is true. A couple posts in I said that.

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2012 Power Wagon Crew with the 6’4” bed. It’s a big *****, on 37’s and a Century Cap. I drive it anywhere, everywhere as much as I want and park it wherever I want. Get what you want enjoy it and why oh, sweat the small stuff.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I have the quad 4 door 6.4 yes a little hard I use to go down more and park were no one is and pull threw so I can just drive right out ! I do love the 6.4 cuz was able to fill it up a lot when using ! I wanted a truck so no problems just learn real fast how to turn it park it ya know !

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
I just realized the loaner I got last year for a week, when my GC was in the shop, was a Dodge (Ram?) crew cab with long bed. It had to have been a 2015-2018 cause it had the old grill. All I remember was that thing was very nice to drive, had a Hemi, but that bed had to have been at least the 6’4. Driving it and parking it was a bit of a learning event but not worse than driving a HMMWV/LMTV in downtown Seoul (that was not fun).
Now you have me considering the 6’4” instead of the short bed I was originally thinking about. Only thing that would stop me is if the Ram boxes aren't available on the long bed.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Only thing that would stop me is if the Ram boxes aren't available on the long bed.
As mentioned a few times. The 5th Gen DT Ram 1500 2019/20/21 does not have the RamBox available on the 6'4. Only available on the Crew Cab 5'7.

Last edited:

Njt07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 etorque
As mentioned a few times. The 5th Gen DT Ram 1500 2019/20/21 does not have the RamBox available on the 6'4. Only available on the Crew Cab 5'7.
Ah I didnt see that it wasnt available in the 2021. Was hoping that was “fixed” for next year.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ah I didnt see that it wasnt available in the 2021. Was hoping that was “fixed” for next year.
I do not believe it is. I also haven't heard for sure that it won't be a mid year option.

Is has been rumored to show up the entire life of the 5th Gen...but not yet and no new rumors.

My guess is not until the HeavyDuty gets its new bed

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went from a tiny sports coupe to a 1500 with a 6'4" bed. I wanted the extra bed space for hauling materials and would have gotten an 8' bed if it was offered on the 1500 crew cab.

The truck is a large vehicle, I can't see 7 inches extra making a significant difference. With either bed length, I take a careful approach to parking. I usually just park farther away at the back of the lot where I have plenty of space to pull in straight on. The back of the truck does hang out a little bit so I try to pull up tight to the edge.

The overall handling and road performance of the truck is really impressive to me. I don't notice any compromise in that aspect of my 1500 due to the longer bed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I came out of a Gen 3 2500 with 8' box extended cab. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to park a new 2500 with crew cab and 8' box in garage. Looked at the 6'4" beds and liked the fact that with tailgate down I could carry 8' sheetrock and wood. I actually ended up with a full 8' bed CC 2500, fits in garage with about 4 inches to spare and too of door opening by about an inch and a half. But as I said 6'4" beds do provide a bit more flexibility in my mind. Good luck!