Question about those that own 6'4" vs 5'7"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocketjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all,
So I'm buying a new Ram. I have some specific requirements, which include the 3.92 rear, bucket seats, no tow package (I will not pay extra for manual mirrors) and 18 inch wheels. The wheels are not a deal breaker, but I would prefer not to pay $1500 for wheels, plus I like the ride on the 18s better (more sidewall).
I wanted a 5'7" because I don't really haul a lot that I would I need the extended bed for, and after reading some of the postings hear, do worry just a bit about manueverability.
Of course, we have not searched a 300 plus mile radius and cant find any of what I want that the dealer is willing to give up to the dealer I am working with.

My dealer has a 5'7 with everything I want except the bucket seats, and a 6'4" with everything I want with 20 inch wheels (again Im not too concerned with 20s as I would take them off and sell them after purchasing a set of 18 inch Rebel wheels and tires, probably come out at least close to even or a couple of hundred in the hole)

So for those that have driven both, what say you about living with the 6'4" box? Does it suck parking, does it slow it down? Any do any light off-roading or overlanding with it?

Thanks for your assistance. I'm really bummed out about it.

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
I’m a first time truck owner. Bought a 19 Warlock Quad back in January. Love the truck, the ride and the larger bed is no problem for me to park. Nice having a crew cab with a shorter bed if you have family traveling with you a lot. I don’t both my kid out of home now () so it just my wife and I. Love the Quad and the longer bed.

Stunt Steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I got my 1500 sport I decided on the 6’4” bed and I’m glad I did. The extra length is so practical and convenient.

Ended up with a quad cab cause I rarely have more than one passenger. That allowed the extra length in the bed without much of a difference in overall length. I can’t imagine having a short bed now.

Class IV hitch is worth the tow package and I’ve got the 3.92 axle ratio. I’ve towed up to a 33’ airstream with no problems.

Billy J Maclin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving a Toyota Camry for almost 2 decades, my 2014 Laramie with 6'4" bed is harder to maneuver, but there's not enough difference in the shorter wheelbase Ram to make much difference when trying to park in tight spaces. Rear wheel steering needs to make a comeback, maybe, but I don't have any problems.

As far as the 18" vs 20" wheels, it's all going to depend on the tires. I couldn't be happier with the ride and comfort of this truck with the 20" wheels/tires, P275-60R20 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A on my truck aren't super low-profile "****" tires that ride like a cattle wagon.

5942.jpg

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Asking a bed question to a truck forum is like asking a hoof or shoe question to a horse forum - you'll get three opinions for every two people.
But you asked, so I'll say.

Driveability? Really?
You're asking about if turning and parking an aircraft carrier is easier than a battleship.
Yeah, it is, I guess...

My 2005 quad cab had a 6' bed and my 2020 Crew now has only a 5' bed.

I miss my 6' A LOT. A LOT.
Psychologically speaking.
Practically speaking I do not miss it as much as I think I do.

The one REAL way I miss the 6' is when buy one long thing - say an eight foot lumber - in the six foot you just lay it diagonal and still close the gate and the tonneau.
In the five foot you either have to drop the gate or lift the tonneau all the way home.
I don't mind that for a load of cargo, because even with the 6' if I was hauling a full load o would load it's gate, too, lowered.
But for some reason having to tie down ONE thing that just won't fit just ****** me off to no end.

Why did I get the 5' then?
I MORE wanted the RamBox than a large bed
Glad I got the RamBox. Big fan. Huge.
Use it all the time.

Turns out I didn't miss the large bed too too much anyway.
We self-moved houses about 20mins away, and yes the 5' carried less per trip than I could have in the 6'.
But we were moving on our own, over many evenings after work, so the smaller bed was a blessing because it forced us into smaller more manageable loads each day, which was nicer in a weird way.

The only other time I regret the 5' bed is when walking back to it in the parking lot from shopping. For a brief moment I think it looks stupid with two Os with a 5' bed and a giant crew cab.
Then I think how much more beautiful the lines are compared to the other manufacturers, and I climb in and actually drive it, and then I love my 5' bed all over again.

Of course, ANY length bed is empty 95% of the time, anyway, so....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Being that my old 2008 ram that had the 6 foot box was only about 4 inches shorter than the new trucks with the 6 foot 4 bed, I really wouldn’t think it would matter unless you’re gonna be parking it in a standard garage. I’ve heard people say that the crew cabs with the longer bed seem to ride a little bit better because of the longer wheelbase however as far as if that’s true or not, I don’t know because I’ve never had one.

Since I don’t use my truck for a truck, I was fine and dandy with the shorter 5‘7“ bed. That’s all I need. Now, if it came down to when I bought my truck, if the longer crew cab is all they had to get what I wanted I don’t see no problem in having one, it’s just that I’m just happy with my short bed because that’s all I need. Having that back up camera on the tailgate and the back up sensors built-in to the bumper if you have it makes it nice for backing out of a parking spot in a tight parking lot even with the longer bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I know that 6'4" is the minimum needed for my requirements. And having bought my first pickup in 1968, a 6'4" bed is a short bed to me. The 5'7" is what I would see on the crew cab mini trucks in Central America.

Wheelbase is what matters the most in terms of maneuvering and getting in and out of parking spaces. I seldom have a problem with parking as I do not mind walking 100 feet to the entrance of a store.

Turning radius is also important for trail use and if towing a trailer where backing up to make a second try at a turn is seldom a safe option. Backing a truck and or trailer into a campsite is much easier with shorter wheelbase trucks. But the diffence between a Quad cab 5'7" truck and a CC 6'4" is negligible with the 1500 trucks although the turnng diameter is 2.5' greater with the CC and the longer bed.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hi all,
So I'm buying a new Ram. I have some specific requirements, which include the 3.92 rear, bucket seats, no tow package (I will not pay extra for manual mirrors) and 18 inch wheels. The wheels are not a deal breaker, but I would prefer not to pay $1500 for wheels, plus I like the ride on the 18s better (more sidewall).
I wanted a 5'7" because I don't really haul a lot that I would I need the extended bed for, and after reading some of the postings hear, do worry just a bit about manueverability.
Of course, we have not searched a 300 plus mile radius and cant find any of what I want that the dealer is willing to give up to the dealer I am working with.

My dealer has a 5'7 with everything I want except the bucket seats, and a 6'4" with everything I want with 20 inch wheels (again Im not too concerned with 20s as I would take them off and sell them after purchasing a set of 18 inch Rebel wheels and tires, probably come out at least close to even or a couple of hundred in the hole)

So for those that have driven both, what say you about living with the 6'4" box? Does it suck parking, does it slow it down? Any do any light off-roading or overlanding with it?

Get a standard cab with 6.4 bed. lol. That’s what I have but go ahead and get the 4door. My bed doesn’t slow me down at all. JMO

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Hi all,

No problem driving or parking this. 2500 Crew cab 8' bed. Driving & parking is a personal issue, not a truck issue. My wife drives this truck like a boss. If you aren't confident you can park a truck with a 6'4" bed, maybe you should be looking at Tacomas.
Good luck.8e33e6ae6bd5636a538038f59f3eade7.jpg

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Well an update to my update. Unfortunately the one I thought I had was sold. I have now found another that is two hours away. It has the NOrth package (which is great for factory elocker), along with my other requirements but it has the 6'4" bed. It is $2000 but has the North Package and it is a Big Horn 2, so it has a few more whistles. Also not an etourque hemi, which I am okay with. I think I will be fine with the 6'4" as I have thought it over and read the above posts. Of course my dream truck is a Power Wagon, and that would be the same dimensions so... If I can get the same type of deal, Ill be making the two hour drive.
Dude, the truck I bought was slightly over 3 hours away. I told them to go get it and if it checked all my boxes I'd buy it. Seven hrs later, they called me. "It's here". OK, see you in 15 min.
If they want to sell it, they'll go pick it up for you.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I went from a tiny sports coupe to a 1500 with a 6'4" bed. I wanted the extra bed space for hauling materials and would have gotten an 8' bed if it was offered on the 1500 crew cab.

The truck is a large vehicle, I can't see 7 inches extra making a significant difference. With either bed length, I take a careful approach to parking. I usually just park farther away at the back of the lot where I have plenty of space to pull in straight on. The back of the truck does hang out a little bit so I try to pull up tight to the edge.

The overall handling and road performance of the truck is really impressive to me. I don't notice any compromise in that aspect of my 1500 due to the longer bed.
Try going from a Fiat 500 Abarth to a 2500 CCLB. Ya just gotta reset your brain. Takes a couple days, and then, no problem at all.5c370da85a0e96a017e49a390798fd18.jpg

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a used 2017 Sport Crew Cab with a 6’4 bed. Traded it in for my current 2019 5’7. (The Sport was a Canadian build and thus the factory warranty was voided... had to get rid of it. Didn’t find out until after I bought it... Oops.)

Here are my opinions on the differences.

6’4 Pros:
Bed Space is almost never an issue
Rides slightly better due to longer wheel base
Looks more proportional with the crew cab

6’4 Cons:
Maneuverability in tight spaces
Slightly more parking issues, garage fit can be iffy
Slightly less fuel economy

Looking back now, I’m a 5’7 long term dude. I don’t haul stuff back there very much, and when I do it’s not enough for space to be an issue. That would really be the only reason I’d switch back to a 6’4.

Good luck with your choice, hope this has helped.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I have 2019 6.4 Hemi quad , short bed. It has the works 4.10 trailer tow, snow plow prep. My last truck 2006 quad long bed Cummins. Some jerk on cell phone broadsided me. I truly miss it Was a one owner lie mileage. But I do love my new 6.4 Hemi.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some days I wish I had the 8' box. Box was full, but had more to haul. One of my co workers called me a hillbilly. Can't imagine why.20200927_163935.jpg

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure from 3 pages of replies you've obviously heard a lot of opinions about this issue. So, here's another one...get what you really want - or what you think you'll need for your particular use. Sure, a longer truck is going to trail a little different than a shorter one but at the end of the day you've still gotta ask yourself what length bed do you need? To hell with the way it's gonna park, you can always find parking out in the back 40 if you can't figure out how to park it between the lines. My wife drove our 2500 CC with a 6'4" bed like a boss and loved it. **** don't fit in a 5'7" bed like it does in a 6'4" and it really isn't that much of a difference, but a load will often present you with a tailgate-down, or cross-bed load, or potentially part of the load hanging over the tailgate depending its length. But, again - my advice is to figure out what you want and get at it. If you haven't already made your decision I say good luck figuring out your priorities and hope you make the right one - for your benefit.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Some days I wish I had the 8' box. Box was full, but had more to haul. One of my co workers called me a hillbilly. Can't imagine why.View attachment 222920
8 foot bed is nice...cause you can haul a 6'4 Bed
20200601_184632_HDR.jpg
So glad I had mine when I tore down our camp and cleaned up
20200606_092537.jpg 20200514_201131.jpg
But sometimes...you still have to put the tailgate down
20200418_140754_HDR.jpg

shurik74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Try going from a Fiat 500 Abarth to a 2500 CCLB. Ya just gotta reset your brain. Takes a couple days, and then, no problem at all.5c370da85a0e96a017e49a390798fd18.jpg
hahah... nice picture! I sold my Abarth 4 months ago and kinda miss it, fun car to drive especially in the city!

keisur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have no justifiable reason for a long bed so the short suits me perfect. plus my Napier tent fits it great and I can l fit a queen air mattress in it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Going with the 6'4" bed and a crew cab model the turning radius is increased by 15 inches over a crew cab with the 5'7" bed. The wheelbase with the 6'4" box is only 0.5 inches longer. That is not much of a difference. I prefer a quad cab with the 6'4" box but I know that 95% of buyers want or need a crew cab and so it will be easier to resell the truck if I get one with the crew cab.

For me 6'4" is a short bed and 8' is a long bed and standard for pickups. I like that with the tailgate lowered I have 8' of length for sheets of plywood and sheetrock and that I can put our road bikes inside the bed with the tailgate raised. I am already paying a $3,000 premium to get the crew cab instead of a quad cab and so see no reason to also skimp on the bed of the truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going with the 6'4" bed and a crew cab model the turning radius is increased by 15 inches over a crew cab with the 5'7" bed. The wheelbase with the 6'4" box is only 0.5 inches longer. That is not much of a difference.
Wait, what? What cab/bed configurations you comparing to only come up with a half inch difference in wheel base? Not even talking about quad cabs because they aren’t as popular as the crew cabs but if you compare a crew cab 5-7 to a crew cab with the 6-4, the difference in bumper to bumper length is like closer to 7 inches.

For me 6'4" is a short bed and 8' is a long bed and standard for pickups.
That may be how you feel because it’s obvious that the 5‘7“ bed is useless to you but that’s not the case. There no longer is the 6 foot bed as the short bed. They don’t even have the 6 foot bed anymore. It’s either the really short 5-7 bed or the not as short
6-4 bed.

The 8 foot bed is no longer the standard length anymore because the most people who buy half-ton trucks, they buy them for anything other than for why somebody would want a truck and so that shorter bed is what’s mostly preferred.

It makes it easier for parking in most standard garages, and it makes it a lot better to maneuver around and tight parking lots.

I am already paying a $3,000 premium to get the crew cab instead of a quad cab and so see no reason to also skimp on the bed of the truck.

Sounds like to me that you actually use your truck bed to haul stuff but as far as I’m concerned, I don’t consider it skimping out when my new truck came with the shorter bed because that’s all I need. That’s all most people need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabo