Question on Software Updates on a used vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is probably a dumb question here, but I might be buying a 2018 Big Horn from a private dealer. Will all the software be updated on it or do I have to do that periodically on a used vehicle at the stealership? Does software even need to be updated or no? It has 40K on it. Anything else to look for? Thanks!

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I sure didn't like the update that locked out reverse if door open. So for sure there not all needed.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they happen automatically?

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U need to go to stealership for updates.
I've had some shifting hiccups appear and they said a update was needed. And it did solve that issue.

I know we had 2 Chevy cruze 2018's and when 1 hit 30k we started having issues with the touch screen not working and then a service system message. Took to dealer they said it needed N update and $120 later problem solved then 8 months later per other cruze hit 31xxx and magic touch screen issues and dealer had to do update lol .

They have to have it programed to mess things up so you need these so called updates

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U need to go to stealership for updates.
I've had some shifting hiccups appear and they said a update was needed. And it did solve that issue.

I know we had 2 Chevy cruze 2018's and when 1 hit 30k we started having issues with the touch screen not working and then a service system message. Took to dealer they said it needed N update and $120 later problem solved then 8 months later per other cruze hit 31xxx and magic touch screen issues and dealer had to do update lol .

They have to have it programed to mess things up so you need these so called updates

Damn so any update needed I have to go pay? That stinks! How do you know an update is even needed?

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn so any update needed I have to go pay? That stinks! How do you know an update is even needed?
Only got to pay if no warranty. We did t have warranty on the cruze's

Don't worry about an update unless you got issues with something.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make the dealership update it to 'latest and greatest' or walk away...That includes ALL TSB's too - Warranty or not...

This is a small private dealership. More a mom/pop type of place. Can they update that sort of thing?

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
It's cheap, make an appointment at a dealer to check and update your pcm and tcm as needed. If still under warranty, you can usually get it done for free.

My 18 has had several pcm and tcm updates so far.

Earl

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's cheap, make an appointment at a dealer to check and update your pcm and tcm as needed. If still under warranty, you can usually get it done for free.

My 18 has had several pcm and tcm updates so far.

Earl

Thanks Earl! Car has 40K miles on it so not sure if it’s covered for that.

BriamH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the updates happened either automatically or Fiat/Chrysler sent a notice including the update. That's the only way I've received updates the last few years.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought the updates happened either automatically or Fiat/Chrysler sent a notice including the update. That's the only way I've received updates the last few years.

I think only radio updates are done remotely.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is i telnet connection needed to get radio updates?

No, I have the 8.4 with nav and never renewed the uconnect thing. They still did the update.

Last edited:

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thanks Earl! Car has 40K miles on it so not sure if it’s covered for that.

My 2018 diesel came with 5 year 100k powertrain warranty, which I would expect would cover TSB software updates for engine and transmission. I don't know what gasoline trucks come with.

Earl

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
This is probably a dumb question here, but I might be buying a 2018 Big Horn from a private dealer. Will all the software be updated on it or do I have to do that periodically on a used vehicle at the stealership? Does software even need to be updated or no? It has 40K on it. Anything else to look for? Thanks!
Updates to things like radio and navigation cost money. Usually not much. To find out about recalls use the vin and look it up. Recalls are free.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html