question on Uconnect 8.4 soft reset - GPS dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The GPS in my 2016 RAM took a dump. Used the GPS 4 days ago and everything was normal. Tried it yesterday and it still thinks I am 35 miles from home, where I turned the GPS off 4 days ago. There are no bars showing on the GPS signal strength. What does a soft reset of the Uconnect 8.4 system reset? I know the latest software is 18.45.01 and I have 18.11.07. I’m reluctant to update the firmware as everything else on the Uconnect is working. I'd hate to try and update the firmware and end up bricking the system and then nothing would work. Before I pay a dealer $1.5k to $2K to replace the system I’ll buy the largest Garmin GPS and just sit it on the dash. At least with the Garmin I’ll get a free lifetime of map updates. Seems like RAM could have installed a more reliable system.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A like new used ra4 can be had for around 300.00 now if you look awhile.one just sold here for 300.00.and I just sold one on ebay and it didn't bring but 280.00.

OP
OP
CarrollB

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem was solved by doing the soft reset using the volume and tube buttons. The GPS now shows the correct location.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Glad it worked for you. On our 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee we ended up having the radio replaced when the GPS got lost. No signal when I checked from the satellites. Took it to the dealer, they tried to update it but it wouldn’t complete.
It was replaced, all is fine again.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have had the same issue for a few months now. I use Waze anyway so not a big deal, but I'll give the reset a try and see if it gives it a fix. Thanks for the idea.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The trouble with WAZE is that everyone uses it

I was on 1-10 heading West in El Paso Texas
I knew that it was afternoon rush hour, traffic started slowing & i had that Traffic thing along with the Navigation, it told me to detour & i did not detour. I knew that i was getting fairly close to Anthony. Traffic was stopped dead, so i took the next off ramp & followed the detour, i hollered at some other people that were also on the same detour & they were ALL using WAZE.

None of the mapping systems had indicated that there were 2 very good detours. Both were multi lane highway speed limit roads & there were both within 2 miles of where we were stuck in traffic.
Now i no longer take I-10 while going through El Paso
I use 375 now, it goes on the far side of the airport

RougeIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The GPS in my 2016 RAM took a dump. Used the GPS 4 days ago and everything was normal. Tried it yesterday and it still thinks I am 35 miles from home, where I turned the GPS off 4 days ago. There are no bars showing on the GPS signal strength. What does a soft reset of the Uconnect 8.4 system reset? I know the latest software is 18.45.01 and I have 18.11.07. I’m reluctant to update the firmware as everything else on the Uconnect is working. I'd hate to try and update the firmware and end up bricking the system and then nothing would work. Before I pay a dealer $1.5k to $2K to replace the system I’ll buy the largest Garmin GPS and just sit it on the dash. At least with the Garmin I’ll get a free lifetime of map updates. Seems like RAM could have installed a more reliable system.
At least doesn’t show you in 2200 miles away. Ended up taking it to the dealer because it was ghost touching as well. They tried the update and it bricked my radio and the Uconnect and dash lights would never turn off so I finally found the fuse while I wait for the new system to come in. I won’t have ac/fans or screen for now

Attachments

• BCFD2D34-9CE7-46DC-85B2-2B9F6F5983A0.jpeg
    BCFD2D34-9CE7-46DC-85B2-2B9F6F5983A0.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 8