Question..small problem with 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Laramie with the 8.4 Uconnect. I have 2000 miles on it. Love it so far.

This morning I got in my truck and the XM stereo, broadcast radio, and Bluetooth connection to my phone would skip in/out every few seconds. I checked all 3 so I could narrow down the potential issues like antenna reception, XM signal, local radio signal, etc. It was almost like a speaker wire was loose. But seemed too consistent and uniform to be a loose wire.

I tried turning the radio on and off hoping it would reset it but that did not help.... but when I turned off the truck and let it sit for 4 hours I got back in it and now everything is fine. Any ideas?

One factor that might be related is the truck sits outside at night and it did rain last night. When I turned it off and it's sat for 4 hours it was not raining. Probably not the cause but the only other thing I thought might contribute to the problem.

Any theories would be appreciated. I'm not too worried about it because it is obviously under warranty but I really despise going into the dealer to let them waste my time. Even oil changes turn into big projects for them. They advertise express service but want you to leave the truck for an afternoon???

Ram makes really good trucks I just wish there dealers were better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI® V8
It’s been my experience (specifically with CarPlay issues) that things don’t actually reboot with turning off the engine and restarting. I am not sure how long but it seems it needs to sit for a little bit to fully “reboot”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Leonard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s funny to come across this post because I’m experiencing the same thing in my 19 Laramie. Got in my truck this morning and the sound keeps coming on and off like someone is pushing the mute button continuously. I have the 8.4 as well. Called the dealer and of course they haven’t heard of anyone having issues. Taking it in this afternoon and hopefully it just needs an update or something.

Lurker55

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
So our trucks actually stay on for approximately 10 mins after the engine and leaving the car/truck. Honestly don’t know what exactly it’s doing but it does.

A full power cycle is consider after the truck sits for 10 mins. That is when you get the full reboot, unless you pull the radio fuse or negative power cable from the battery.

My recommendation would be to see if there is an update for the radio, and start there. Www.driveuconnect.com. Put your VIN number in and see if an update comes up.

If there is then you have 2 options, update yourself or have the dealership do it. Given your issue I’d suggest the dealership (especially if you still have a warranty). But you could do the update yourself also.

If the uconnect says your up to date, send me your vin and I can check the dealer/engineer versions.