Questions about Upper Control Arms and a lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to get a 2.5 inch front coilover lift for my truck. I read that there is a ball joint issue with them because of the geometry of the factory UCA after being lifted, so with this lift:

( https://maxtracsuspension.com/i-305...|model=1500||submodel=BIG HORN, V8, 5.7L, GAS )

Will I be okay without UCA, or do I still need them? My truck is also a 2WD.

If I do need UCA, which ones would be a good choice?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I'm looking to get a 2.5 inch front coilover lift for my truck. I read that there is a ball joint issue with them because of the geometry of the factory UCA after being lifted, so with this lift:

( https://maxtracsuspension.com/i-30500044-2002-17-dodge-ram-1500-2wd-2-5-front-lift-coils-w-fox-shocks-v8-hemi.html#!year=2019||make=RAM||model=1500||submodel=BIG HORN, V8, 5.7L, GAS )

Will I be okay without UCA, or do I still need them? My truck is also a 2WD.

If I do need UCA, which ones would be a good choice?

You won't be able to take advantage of coilovers on the RWD trucks unless you modify the front end. You need taller front coil spring buckets like the 4x4's in order to fit. You'll also need the stock 4x4 lower control arm to attach to.

Now on the UCA I recommend Maxtrac for the RWD.

3 reason

1.They use stock style bushings that attach to the frame. The reason for this? Noise. Poly bushings are noisy. These are not.

2. They are stout! They are made of forged aluminum. I had mine powdercoated red to match the rest of my suspension.

3. If your lifting/leveling the front end you're taking suspension travel away. The UCA's give you back some lost travel. Plus you won't murder the stock ball joints 20190204_103321.jpg

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't be able to take advantage of coilovers on the RWD trucks unless you modify the front end. You need taller front coil spring buckets like the 4x4's in order to fit. You'll also need the stock 4x4 lower control arm to attach to.

Now on the UCA I recommend Maxtrac for the RWD.

3 reason

1.They use stock style bushings that attach to the frame. The reason for this? Noise. Poly bushings are noisy. These are not.

2. They are stout! They are made of forged aluminum. I had mine powdercoated red to match the rest of my suspension.

3. If your lifting/leveling the front end you're taking suspension travel away. The UCA's give you back some lost travel. Plus you won't murder the stock ball joints View attachment 202861
Ok cool thank you! So I should definitely go for the Maxtrac UCA to solve that main ball joint issue.

As for the link I posted for the 2.5 lift coilovers, those won't work? It says 2WD in the title but I really also don't know. If those won't work what would you recommend I get for the front? Looking to just level/lift about 2.5 inches

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I have had two trucks, Maxtrac kit, used factory UCA, no issues.

20190511_122346.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ok cool thank you! So I should definitely go for the Maxtrac UCA to solve that main ball joint issue.

As for the link I posted for the 2.5 lift coilovers, those won't work? It says 2WD in the title but I really also don't know. If those won't work what would you recommend I get for the front? Looking to just level/lift about 2.5 inches
what you get from Maxtrac should be everything you need.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

yes that kit will work on 2wd

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll be another Maxtrac fan! Good product, great customer service.
And, they are on this site.
@Maxtrac Suspension
Ope just one more thing I thought of, where did you order your parts from? A local place or online? Online doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for so I'll probably just go into one of the local motorsport shops that's a dealer

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ope just one more thing I thought of, where did you order your parts from? A local place or online? Online doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for so I'll probably just go into one of the local motorsport shops that's a dealer

I've ordered both from their online store and authorized dealers. If memory serves I picked these up for $600 ish from a local authorized dealer. Couldn't pass it up.