Quiet flowmaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nosnibor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 40 series flowmaster installed on my 2007 1500 5.7 sport. I can't say I'm impressed with the sound. It's very queit and not much more loud than the stock.

Is there anyone else with a similar muffler that can help me know if this is normal?

In the past I had. 5.9 Durango with 2 40's which was way more loud but obviously because it was two but this single is not even half as loud as the Durango was.

Thanks for any info!

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Heck I would go for the quiet.I got Gibson dual tiped turned out on my 1500 I didn't put it on it .Let the right rear doors window down it will give you a headache .I wish it was out the back like it suppose to be.Too old for a wild hair up my butt this is for you young folks.

OP
OP
N

Nosnibor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heck I would go for the quiet.I got Gibson dual tiped turned out on my 1500 I didn't put it on it .Let the right rear doors window down it will give you a headache .I wish it was out the back like it suppose to be.Too old for a wild hair up my butt this is for you young folks.

Yeah I wasn't looking for headache. I was actually worried that it would be too loud. My previous car had a bad drone. However this is almost like stock. I can tell the note is different but I was expecting to at least hear it from the cabin with the windows down.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I had a 97 1500 with 360 5.9 at first come off cat straight to the rear now that thing was loud .Went back the next week put a flowmaster to quiet it down this truck was new at the time.You couldn't open the sliding glass window with the pipes coming straight off the cat it would make your ears hurt.This was one of my wild hair moments.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 40 series flowmaster installed on my 2007 1500 5.7 sport. I can't say I'm impressed with the sound. It's very queit and not much more loud than the stock.

Is there anyone else with a similar muffler that can help me know if this is normal?

In the past I had. 5.9 Durango with 2 40's which was way more loud but obviously because it was two but this single is not even half as loud as the Durango was.

Thanks for any info!

Did you remove the resonator(s) first? Those quiet things down A LOT!!! I'm probably stating the obvious here, but they are typically located between the cats and the muffler.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you remove the resonator(s) first? Those quiet things down A LOT!!! I'm probably stating the obvious here, but they are typically located between the cats and the muffler.
Every resanator I've seen has been one of the last things in the system. On my 17 they are behind the rear axle just before the tips.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every resanator I've seen has been one of the last things in the system. On my 17 they are behind the rear axle just before the tips.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My 06 they're between the cats and muffler. They can be anywhere in the system, I've just seen them between the cats and muffler mostly. Just for reference, my whisper quiet stock system that I plan on upgrading to a Flowmaster American Thunder 17423 or 817423 as soon as I have the funds. :)

20180804_162313.jpg 20180804_162319.jpg 20180804_162329.jpg

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I just had my muffler delete with straight pipe installed today. Stock cats and resonator left on, sounds VERY good! Not too loud but has a muscular sound. Let the Hemi do the talking! Cost me 55 bucks. Ya don't have to spend a lot of money to get the sound you like

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
My 06 they're between the cats and muffler. They can be anywhere in the system, I've just seen them between the cats and muffler mostly. Just for reference, my whisper quiet stock system that I plan on upgrading to a Flowmaster American Thunder 17423 or 817423 as soon as I have the funds. :)

View attachment 136396 View attachment 136397 View attachment 136398

The 06's are strange.. I only have 1 resonator and it was after the muffler. Some 06 owners say they have one before the muffler and others don't. Maybe just the Hemi gets 2 resonators??

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 06's are strange.. I only have 1 resonator and it was after the muffler. Some 06 owners say they have one before the muffler and others don't. Maybe just the Hemi gets 2 resonators??

I've been talking with some of my truck buddies at work and I definitely have a unique setup. None of them have ever seen or heard of 3 cans in the system (we're calling them that because they look like coffee cans). What we're thinking is that my system is resonator, muffler, muffler since that last can looks like a Super 44 with no Flowmaster stamping and it looks newer than the rest of the system. We have no earthly idea why this was done other than possibly ignorance by a previous owner. All the pictures/drawings I have found on AllData and the FSM show one large muffler for the 5.7L Hemi and nothing else. :wtf2:

Nosnibor, sorry I jacked your thread man, it wasn't intentional.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye