Ra 5.0 to 8.4 radio bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
The place that makes these is about 1 1/2 away from me, LOL. I wondered why I was charged tax!

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
My bezel came in today, quality was as good if not better than stock. It took me about 10 minutes to remove the old one, disassemble and reassemble. Not one issue at all, I took a few pictures while doing this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421191157.039050.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421191173.598704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421191183.770827.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421191191.872170.jpg

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just like he said ^ $250 delivered to my door!

Wow is that a joke?? Or was the yard selling it all smoking something? Just did a search on car-part for the 8.4. Aside from all the "call to find out", the lowest priced one is nearly $600!

Btw the bezel is looking pretty good!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wow is that a joke?? Or was the yard selling it all smoking something? Just did a search on car-part for the 8.4. Aside from all the "call to find out", the lowest priced one is nearly $600!

Btw the bezel is looking pretty good!

Keep looking, deals pop up on there occasionally. You might also try calling one of them and offering them less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I found a couple non nav 8.4 for 150. Very tempting

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
No offense, and I'm curious why anyone would even consider buying an RA3 head unit, other than it came with the truck, I would think the primary reason for this upgrade is Nav.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
No offense, and I'm curious why anyone would even consider buying an RA3 head unit, other than it came with the truck, I would think the primary reason for this upgrade is Nav.

I believe that I read someone had a dealer update a non nav unit with nav. Without seeing the backs of the them to see if the non nav has a input for a nav antenna I don't know for sure if that's true.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Price is probably a big one for some guys. That and some might not want navigation but want the better UI/capability of the 8.4. That and when there aren't any cheap RA4's to be had, $150 is a lot cheaper than $600.

-JT

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I believe that I read someone had a dealer update a non nav unit with nav. Without seeing the backs of the them to see if the non nav has a input for a nav antenna I don't know for sure if that's true.

If this is true, I may consider getting an 8.4 RA3 now so I can wire up the OEM reverse camera, and then pay to have it updated with NAV in the future. The OEM cam is far more important to me now than NAV is.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Fiat dealers charge 600.00 to update the RA3 radio to Nav, and you might have trouble finding a dealer that will even do it because your truck did not come with that radio. I also believe that the dealer can't just do it, they have to get the required software licenses from Fiat, so I do not know if you could even negotiate with them.

So by the time you get the Nav added you will have spent a lot more money.

On top of that the RA3 doe not have HD radio, 3D navigation, Terrain mapping, Travel link and a few other minor things.
And one more thing that may prevent the update is the radio needs to be put into engineering / dealer mode, this may be impossible
because this is done by using the HVAC controls on the RA3 or RA4 bezel. Has anyone found a way to put there radio into engineering mode?

Here is link to the dealer procedure for the update (the title say jeep but it is for Ram as well)

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0800213c.pdf

Last edited:

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Fiat dealers charge 600.00 to update the RA3 radio to Nav, and you might have trouble finding a dealer that will even do it because your truck did not come with that radio. I also believe that the dealer can't just do it, they have to get the required software licenses from Fiat, so I do not know if you could even negotiate with them.

So by the time you get the Nav added you will have spent a lot more money.

On top of that the RA3 doe not have HD radio, or 3D navigation or terrain mapping plus a few other minor things.
And one more thing that may prevent the update is the radio needs to be put into engineering / dealer mode, this may be impossible
because this is done by using the HVAC controls on the RA3 or RA4 bezel. Has anyone found a way to put there radio into engineering mode?

Here is link to the dealer procedure for the update (the title say jeep but it is for Ram as well)

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0800213c.pdf

Wow. Right after I called my dealership and they told me it's not possible. Who was this service bulletin put out by? Fiat? I want to email this to my dealer.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Many dealers are ignorant when it comes to these trucks and many will tell you things can't be done, because they don't want to get involved, especially if you truck did not come with that radio.

But in general I have found I seem to know (as most owners do) more about my truck that the dealerships. Most service departments are very incompetent when it comes to Fiat trucks.

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Yeah I'm starting to see the trend. Part of me wants to email that document straight to them so I can convince them to actually perform the service, but I also don't wanna seem like a *******.

Do you see the small italic at the top? No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC

Now I'm hesitant to do anything with it

krb686

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Okay there we go, after emailing those instructions to the guy at the service department, lo and behold it's totally possible. For $625. Just like you alluded to cptwing, I'll stick to buying the RA4