radiator Cap dirt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Hello everyone hope all is well

Does anyone know what this dirt is on the rad cap? Truck is only 2 years old and only 40k miles.

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 12
  • rad (2).jpg
    rad (2).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 12
  • rad (3).jpg
    rad (3).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello everyone hope all is well

Does anyone know what this dirt is on the rad cap? Truck is only 2 years old and only 40k miles.
Possible the wrong fluid was mixed with the proper fluid. It can clump up when that happens and requires a flush to fix.

Edit: do you see any chunks in the fluid?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rad stop leak most likely. It was pretty common in the Jeep Wrangler 3.6's. See if you have some sediment in your overflow tank.

On the Jeep forum I am on someone figured out the FCA was adding it right on the factory floor.

I don't seem to have any in my Ram Hemi for some reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
my overflow dipstick does have a discolor on it at the bottom of it. Should I just be cleaning the cap once a while or do a flush?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
my overflow dipstick does have a discolor on it at the bottom of it. Should I just be cleaning the cap once a while or do a flush?
Are you still under warranty by chance? If you are the only owner and you know that you didn't put anything in there, I'd look into replacing the radiator cap first. Maybe its corrosion?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd replace that cap with the same psi and take it from there, It looks like corrosion from the spring and sealing ring.

OP
OP
S

simon_o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Thanks guys for the suggestions will look into replacing the cap first and go from there

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't bother replacing the cap, it should just wipe off, it did on our Jeep.

I would pull the overflow tank and clean it or suck everything out, whatever works for you, and refill with fresh coolant.

Keep and eye on it and when the time comes for a coolant change anything left in the system will get flush out.