Radiator Tank Keeps Cracking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About 2 years ago I replaced my radiator due to a small crack that had formed at the upper hose connection. At that time I noticed that the bolthole near the centerline of the upper core support didn't line up and the lower foot was about 1/4" (give or take) to the right of where the old radiator sat. Since then, I have already replaced the "new" radiator with another as it appears the stress caused a crack to form on the tank and have recently started having the same thing happen again.

Before I get asked, yes, I reused the old isolators because they were soft enough to compress enough to allow me to get the bolt in the hole, the new isolators were just too hard.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Obviously, I'm going to have to replace the radiator and I don't want to go through this every year. And no, I can't afford to or justify upgrading to a full aluminum radiator at $500 to $600.

20201221_164323.jpg 20201221_164331.jpg 20201221_164350.jpg

JimmyJimJims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
I had a very similar thing happen to my 03 Ram, the tank cracked in that same spot and the isolators literally went missing (as in the bolt backed out and they flew off somewhere). What I did was install a larger washer that covers the entire diameter of the isolator to prevent so much flex and wobble. I also installed a longer bolt so the new rubber stops would compress and the bolt wouldn't magically go missing

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Open up the holes some more ,oval them ,something to relieve the pressure.

OP
OP
LoneWolf3574

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open up the holes some more ,oval them ,something to relieve the pressure.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing. I'd rather not, but it seems to be the most viable option.