radio drains battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi I have a problem with my radio and also with my battery draining but i think the two problems are connected. i have searched this but only parts of this come up. Ok now i will explain whats happening. For about the last 4 months the power to my radio has been shutting down at random times not really connected to anything specific (heat,cold etc) sometimes for a day at a time. I've found others with this through search. Now the other thing is my battery went dead while i was at my work camp. The truck was parked for about a week and i went to start it and nothing. The radio had no power going to it at the time. So today when the radio lost power i was listening and i heard a sound coming from the radio like it was trying to eject a cd but there was no cd in it. This is weird because the radio was black, dead but something was happening inside the radio. I think i need to hook up a meter to the battery when the radio is working normal and when it's not working to check for a drain. I would like a radio that worked all the time, i had a 1978 D200 with a radio that worked all the time, and a dead battery when i left my lights on and i wish this was that simple. So what do i do, dis connect the battery everytime i park or just pull the radio fuse? Help...