Radio/uconnect issues 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would agree with this IF every other brand was having an issue, I recently went back to Ram from getting out of a Toyota Tundra, I had no connectivity issues w the last truck, my wife has a Subaru Outback that runs Starlink and has no issues. I now have a 2021 Rebel with the 8.4 screen, I am constantly getting the "Device not supported" message on screen, it pops up literally every 3 seconds. I not only disconnected the phone from the radio, I deleted UConnect from my phone along with Apple car play, the radio will not do a soft restart so i took it to the dealer...........

Yesterday I got a call from the dealer and they told me that they CAN NOT work on the truck or change the head unit because "Corporate" is working on a fix? The service department gave me a copy of the memo from corporate that was released in March of 2022 and the case number of S2208000068 (this is for everyone that is getting this same message), we are to call STAR center 1-800-334-9200 and deal with the issue ourselves. Sooooooooo I called and basically they don't know what is wrong, don't know how to fix it and have no timeline on when it will get fixed. This is the part that really ****** me off, I have a 60K truck with 14k miles that I really can't stand to be in now, you can't use the nav because of the pop up every 3 seconds, I guess I can use the nav on my phone but should I have to? I will give it a month and I will just get rid of the truck, it bothers me that bad.

If you are having these issues I honestly feel bad for you
Check the Lemon Law's in your state. Don't let them get away with it if you have the LL option.

Macnh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A software update hit for my 2022 1500 Bighorn 3 months ago....instead of losing all of my presets (FM and Satellite) every 10 days, it goes 6 to 8 weeks before losing all of them. Progress is relative.

JohnnyAlabama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A software update hit for my 2022 1500 Bighorn 3 months ago....instead of losing all of my presets (FM and Satellite) every 10 days, it goes 6 to 8 weeks before losing all of them. Progress is relative.
We must have the same issue. My 2022 1500 Longhorn is on the same cycle of frustration.

KevinB1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
My 2021 did that, the horn stopped sounding on lock. Had to switch it off, restart the truck, switch it to one press, restart the truck, and then switch to two press and restart the truck. I didn't do this all in one sitting, just over a few days when i would get in to go to work, then on the way home.

booster410

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just found this thread. I have a new 2022 Rebel night edition diesel w/ the 8.4/Alpine Uconnect system. Truck is 2 mos old. The dealer has been super frustrating to deal with. They don’t care that you spent a lot of money on a new truck with annoying lack of function to a part of the vehicle you use every time you enter it. I have had the same issues of presets lost, XM loss of channels, intermittent XM service, but also had loss of cameras function as well as the the display changing completely to a hazy light blue/grey. The dealer doesn’t seem to care. The truck has been there multiple times and when I asked about lemon laws they told me it was my fault for having an Apple phone even though I don’t connect it via CarPlay and I don’t have a problem with my phone working with any of my other current cars or past cars I own/have owned. Besides that the truck is great. If service doesn’t get better on this issue though I will sell it. If Ford hadn’t ditched the F150 diesel in 22 or if it didn’t have such delays on the hybrid I probably would have already sold it.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Check out the lemon laws in your state. If it seems like you'd qualify, contact a LL lawyer. I believe the dealer/manf have to pay the lawyer fees if you win.

Daviddnv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here... I posted a while back about these quirks. It's a pain, but it does seem to be better with every software update. I never tried the dealer, I just waited for an update. I'm not sure if the updates will keep coming automatically or not.

I did find a pattern (I think). The loss of presets seems to have to do with turning off the radio while the signal is lost. For example, I was going through a car wash, knowing that I'd would not have a signal, I turned off the radio. I come out of car wash and turn the radio back on and all of the presets are gone. It happened a few other times with the same type of scenario. So now, I keep my radio on, so far so good... we'll see.

David

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel & have been having problems with my U-Connect every winter! To explain: when the temps reach 28F or colder, I loose SXM, heated steering wheel/seats, NAV, Bluetooth. Sometimes, I can control heat/def from the NAV screen but the control buttons below the screen will not work (u press the button & the light will come on for about a second & go out). Sometimes I can control the climate from the NAV screen & then sometimes the climate goes out!
I reside in NC & the temps may/may not reach 28F or colder, so this issue has been going on for (4) yrs now! Yes, the dealership has been able to see the problem but so far, they haven't found a fix for it. I had to contact Chrysler/RAM (x2 yrs now) to escalate the problem. This past April, Chrysler auth the dealership to replace the entire NAV/Radio to see if that would rectify the problem & unfortunately, it didn't. So far, I have taken my 2018 RAM 2500 CD (still under warranty) in for service on this problem x5! I only have my truck to drive & Chrysler/RAM contacted me by email to tell me to take my truck back into the dealership (even though they have no loaner to give me) & Chrysler/RAM would give me $40 per day for a rental. We'll we all know the current rental situation due to COVID-19 and "if" I can even find a rental, they want $130 per day!! I responded to Chrysler/RAM & said it was totally unacceptable & they should provide me a loaner at "no" cost to me due to the fact that I have already spent quite a bit of my own money on UBER, lost time-off work & plenty of stress/anxiety dealing whit this for (4) yrs now!! You guessed it, Chrysler/RAM never responded to my email request!
Have you been able to check the outside temperature sensor?

Stebone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L eTorque
I just purchased a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie with uConnect 8.4 Nav on 6/23/22. When I use either Car Play (Apple Maps) or the uConnect NAV maps and the HUD is set for MPH or any other display (e.g. economy, tire pressure, etc.), the directional NAV overides what you have set. Why do I need directions in two places when the uConnect 8.4 screen is already giving me directions. There has to be a way to not allow the navigation system to override my current HUD.
Check out the lemon laws in your state. If it seems like you'd qualify, contact a LL lawyer. I believe the dealer/manf have to pay the lawyer fees if you win.
Don't even go there @jejb ;). I just got FCA to buy back my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn due to a issue with the transmission popping out of gear when I come to a stop. I'm at the latest uConnect firmware.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just purchased a 2022 RAM 1500 Laramie with uConnect 8.4 Nav on 6/23/22. When I use either Car Play (Apple Maps) or the uConnect NAV maps and the HUD is set for MPH or any other display (e.g. economy, tire pressure, etc.), the directional NAV overides what you have set. Why do I need directions in two places when the uConnect 8.4 screen is already giving me directions. There has to be a way to not allow the navigation system to override my current HUD.
[/QUOTE]
All the issues with uConnect 5 really worry me. My wife's 21 Pacifica has that version, and is buggy too. Promised fixes that never come, etc. I have a 22 2500 on order with the 12" uConnect 5 and I expect to have issues with it. Kind of makes me wonder if getting rid of an awesome 18 2500 with a fully functional uConnect 4 is a smart move.
Don't even go there @jejb ;). I just got FCA to buy back my 2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn due to a issue with the transmission popping out of gear when I come to a stop.
Good for you!

Stebone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L eTorque
Well surprise surprise, I figured it out. In vehicle settings on uConnect 5 under "Display", there is an option to enable/disable "Navigation Turn-by-Turn Displayed in Cluster" which is enabled by default. Disabling it fixed the issue. There are some settings under uConnect 5 that weren't there in 4, so its a matter of getting use to it.

Stebone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L eTorque
All the issues with uConnect 5 really worry me. My wife's 21 Pacifica has that version, and is buggy too. Promised fixes that never come, etc. I have a 22 2500 on order with the 12" uConnect 5 and I expect to have issues with it. Kind of makes me wonder if getting rid of an awesome 18 2500 with a fully functional uConnect 4 is a smart move.

Good for you!
[/QUOTE]
@jejb , I guess trade-offs have to be dealt with. My transmission popping out of gear was a safety concern. A friend I met on another forum has the 2019 Laramie with the same issue. We spoke with other day and he mentioned a friend of his has a Jaguar and has the same issue. And they talk about a "Driver-less" vehicles. I would never trust it :D. Nothing is perfect being in the technology business for the past 44 years. All car manufacturers seem to be very slow or ill equipment technology wise to fix these issues. Overall, I like the RAM trucks and to go to Ford, GM or Chevy, it could be worse. I have a good friend that has a Chevy 1500 and is in court fighting a "Buy Back" issue with his drive train. They keep pushing his court date back. His next court date is in early 2023.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@jejb , I guess trade-offs have to be dealt with. My transmission popping out of gear was a safety concern. A friend I met on another forum has the 2019 Laramie with the same issue. We spoke with other day and he mentioned a friend of his has a Jaguar and has the same issue. And they talk about a "Driver-less" vehicles. I would never trust it :D. Nothing is perfect being in the technology business for the past 44 years. All car manufacturers seem to be very slow or ill equipment technology wise to fix these issues. Overall, I like the RAM trucks and to go to Ford, GM or Chevy, it could be worse. I have a good friend that has a Chevy 1500 and is in court fighting a "Buy Back" issue with his drive train. They keep pushing his court date back. His next court date is in early 2023.
I agree, they all have issues. I have no thoughts of going to a different brand. 2 of my top must haves are Megacab and Ramboxes, like my current truck has. The only reason I'm updating from my much loved 18 to a pretty much identical 22 is because my 18 is worth about $15-20K more than I paid for it, and the only way to use that "equity" that makes sense for me is to get a new one. But my 18 is loaded, only has 40K on it and is dialed. Do I really want a new set of issues with a new truck?

Maybe I just read these forums too much, but it seems like the newer trucks are more buggy than I may want to deal with. I'm looking forward to some of the high tech collision avoidance stuff and the uConnect 5 upgrades on the 12" screen, but not if Ram can't get it right. We've been fighting uConnect 5 issues since last October when we bought a new Pacifica. And I've read threads that the collision avoidance doesn't work. I'm a programmer, and it blows me away they can't fix these issue. Says to me that it's just not a priority to them. But it damn sure should be. The customer with issues on those, like my family, cusses the vehicle every time they go to use it.

Maybe that's the way the industry runs these days. Which truck is "less bad" than the other. Seems like the bar is lowered for pretty much else, so why not this too?

Colorado-PM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
I've been having the same issue since last June on my 2022 1500 Bighorn. 3 trips to the dealer later, they put in a Star ticket. The response was that it was a known issue and that they expected a fix early this year. So far I haven't been able to find a dealer that knows about it though.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've been having the same issue since last June on my 2022 1500 Bighorn. 3 trips to the dealer later, they put in a Star ticket. The response was that it was a known issue and that they expected a fix early this year. So far I haven't been able to find a dealer that knows about it though.
Yeah, we had them tell us the "next year" thing once on the U5 Pacifica problem. Make sure you get a copy of the expected fix. It will detail the issue(s). Make sure it actually aligns with the problems you are seeing. In our case, it did not, so they were just trying to stiff arm us.

My 22 Ltd Longhorn's U5 12" system has been good so far. Not perfect, but I have no real complaints about it.

Timothy2023

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone had a resolution they can pass on?

I have a 2021 Limited 2500 and have had volume issues since I drove it home from the lot. It drops down on the volume like I am losing a speaker, but it does not do it on Sirius or if I take it off of HD. I have been involved with 5 new stereos, 2 off them where the wrong ones. One of them shut the whole screen off, so I am afraid of getting one that is worse than what I have! Thanks, Tim

tugboaterus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey y’all. So I’ve got a new 2022 night edition 1500 bighorn. I keep having issues with the uconnect/xm and dealer can’t figure out nor can mopar apparently. Just seeing if anyone else has ran into this. So number 1, I have it set to honk on 2nd press of lock button. It will work a few days then randomly stop a few, then start working again. Yesterday I got in it and all my radio presets were gone as well as I only had 9 xm channles. (Truck is 2 weeks old) now today the channels are back but had to reset presets. Horn still doesn’t sound on lock (yes it is checked in the settings) hope someone can shed some light. Thanks
My 2022 constant issues now picking it up at dealer with no radio nav etc.they can't get new file downloaded that they claim came out 2 weeks ago. Said they would do over air update in few days. Not happy camper