UPDATE: Radio Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I'd buy it myself if I was still looking! Apparently it's from the original owner too and was taken out immediately after purchase.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Smh. I got mine on Friday. I wish this would have shown up before then smh. O well what can you do but hope the best for someone else

2018 Black Pearl Ram 1500

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted this on reddit, too, but I didn't know the best place to get some feedback. So, my apologies if you see this twice!

So, I am the proud (and new to the brand) owner of a 2018 Ram 1500. Just bought it last week (too delivery on Wednesday), and I'm loving it so far. My one complaint was the lack of Apple CarPlay functionality. Obviously, not a deal-breaker, because I know I can install something aftermarket, but disappointing nonetheless because I made the erroneous assumption that most 2018+ Rams had it. So I know that's on me. The 5" touchscreen radio (I think the UA1) is serviceable for the time being. I was surprised when I contacted Ram that there is no way to order one through them (with CarPlay) and have the service department install it.

The point of my post was to get some opinions on a replacement. I'm not very knowledgeable in the audio upgrade / aftermarket scene, and I was looking for some feedback. I drive a lot, so having maps/directions display would be great and since I'm an Apple customer I figured CarPlay would scratch that itch (and help with talking calls, etc). What are some good options for a replacement for that size unit? Or would it be better to just leave it as-is (I already do get a good bit of functionality from the Bluetooth connection to my phone) and use my phone when I need a map? Opinions/feedback would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve installed the “Tesla style 10.1”. It has a full touchscreen, Bluetooth, satalite capable, navigation software. It comes with vehicle specific harness and it you have the manual climate controls on yours you can ditch those. This radio has integrated controls for that. Camera controls. And a ton of goodies. Look up Phoenix android

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My personal choice would be to go with the factory radio/nav unit. I would make that choice because of theft. Seems the aftermarket units are more of a target, that's just my personal experience. Not trying to start a debate...

Djoker04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500 2015
Engine
HEMI
Okay, I think it's all coming together. I promise, I'll stop asking questions soon! :)

Sounds like four parts: radio, bezel, heater control module, and harness. Harness comes from M2Mods. Sounds good.

Radio: uaq 8.4" with NAV. I see a lot on Ebay that come from various models. Does that matter? I'm guessing not, as long as it's the radio I want. Where are the best places to order one of these? Ebay has quite a few, but I saw what I think I needed on Schram. Is one place better over another?

Same question for the heater control module - where's the best place to get this?

Is allmoparparts the best place for a bezel? This (https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-dash-control-unit-68268191aa/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Y2x1c3Rlci1hbmQtc3dpdGNoZXMmaT1UTTEzNjUwNSZyPWxheWVyXzEwJmE9cmFtJm89MTUwMCZ5PTIwMTgmdD10cmFkZXNtYW4mZT0zLTZsLXY2LWZsZXg=) looks like the right part, and is decently priced, but I'm no expert.

Thanks to everyone who has posted answers and advice.
Look for my thread...i got rid of my OEM and bought a AVH-2330 And love it....it has everything want...on my thread i has a list of everything i bought. Total less than $700.... if you don’t have SAT XM less than that....

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just wanted to update this thread.

With the assistance of SitKneelBend, who clued me in on a gentleman selling a UAQ radio, I was able to purchase one of these bad boys for $545 (which included Priority Mail shipping to me in Florida). With the kind suggestions and helpful advice of those on this thread, I am now ready to start buying the rest of the components to upgrade my radio. So, over the coming days I might be asking more questions...I hope that's okay!

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Here what you need for your 18 ram 1500 with an Ra2...

7 speed conversion harness $145 (M² Mods)

Plus from Mopar/salvage yard/Quirk Parts, etc you will need...

18 HVAC module (@ $120) see below
13-18 8.4 bezel ($80-$180)
18 UAx Radio ($700-$1300)
>> 68331631AH (UAQ w/nav) or 68331635AH (UAS)

When using a 18 UAQ or UAS radio (Android Auto/CarPlay) you will need ...
18 HVAC module (vs 13-17) (@ $120)

* 14-18 ram 1500's have a variable displacement compressor (typ. associated with the 7 speed fan)
>> 14-17's = 68268186Ax HVAC module
>> 18's = 68366552AA HVAC module ( get this one)

& Need to match the HVAC module to the 8.4 radio year.

Directions/details & radio PNs can be found in there 2 threads ...

- DIY: 2013+ RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Conversion Upgrade

How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM.

PS: I'm about to take my lunch break and can talk by phone if you want in the next 5mins. Just send me your phone# by private message/conversation

M² Mods.

I've got the bezel and the HVAC module ordered. Only thing left is the conversion harness. Mpgrimm2, I'll need you to hook me up with one of those, sir!

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the bezel and the HVAC module ordered. Only thing left is the conversion harness. Mpgrimm2, I'll need you to hook me up with one of those, sir!

You got that radio for a STEAL. Lol if you have any question just ask. Nothing is a stupid question. Did you confirm the part number on the radio to be a Ram UAQ radio? Is it the one he posted above? If it is. That’s all you should need. @Mpgrimm2. Looks like you have another customer. @sword3274. Send him a message through the forum and he will let you know everything that he needs from you

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion(in progress)

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Yep, sure is. The guy said he removed it from his truck as soon as he bought it, so it's technically brand new. Here are some pics. But yeah, I've got to get that harness next! :)

00B0B_8mKefJBlQEj_600x450.jpg

00K0K_1xZMx550e4g_600x450.jpg

00L0L_gmDZtMmvMBq_600x450.jpg

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, sure is. The guy said he removed it from his truck as soon as he bought it, so it's technically brand new. Here are some pics. But yeah, I've got to get that harness next! :)

View attachment 144509

View attachment 144510

View attachment 144511

Might be a good idea to get the vin off the truck that the radio was in, in case you want to update the firmware. That is if he will give that info to you since it’s his truck. Some people just don’t like doing that. Wouldn’t hurt to ask.

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Might be a good idea to get the vin off the truck that the radio was in, in case you want to update the firmware. That is if he will give that info to you since it’s his truck. Some people just don’t like doing that. Wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Yes sir. I had already thought about that - when I called and talked with him, I asked he had the unlock code, which he did not. So I told him in order to get it I would need the VIN. He snapped a picture of it and send it right over to me! :)

wblynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question: do the unlock codes change over the life of the unit? Or does it stay the same once you have it and can be used again and again?

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Question: do the unlock codes change over the life of the unit? Or does it stay the same once you have it and can be used again and again?

Thanks
Stays the same...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was literally the easiest conversion I have ever done with the M2 mods harness. The hardest part was waiting for everything in the mail. It took me about 15 -20 minutes to remove the old bezel and radio and instal new bezel and radio.

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion!

OP
OP
sword3274

sword3274

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
This was literally the easiest conversion I have ever done with the M2 mods harness. The hardest part was waiting for everything in the mail. It took me about 15 -20 minutes to remove the old bezel and radio and instal new bezel and radio.

LED Tail Lights, Black 4 Quad Halogens with HID conversion, LED Black 3rd Break Light, Blacked Out Emblems, 8.4 UAQ conversion!

Yep. I've got everything on order. The radio is supposed to be here today. The bezel and the HVAC module are on order from the Internet, and the two harnesses are on order from Mpgrimm2 & DeereGuy. I'll be putting the OBD Link MX or order soon. Just waiting now and yeah, it sucks! It'll probably be close to a month before everything gets in and installed.

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay
So i just got off the phone with AT&T Car connect. by chance if you ever want to subscribe to the vehicle hotspot and sign up for the data plans you are going to need the original VIN the the radio head unit came out of. this means as long as you have the original VIN number thats the one you use to sign up on the AT&T car connect website, you DO NOT use your VIN. every radio has a VIN/Donor VIN from FCA attached to it for the u connect and car connect services. if you can get that you can subscribe

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Genuinely curious if there is any mischief that could arise from giving out your VIN. I have an 8.4AN that I’ll be replacing at some point with a Kenwood. I am hoping to sell it here eventually.