Ram 2500 Promaster 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas 6 Cylinder
Hello,

I have a 2019 Ram promaster 2500 van with a 6 cylinder gas engine. The transmission had a catastrophic failure at 97K miles. Most if not all highway miles with not much weight in the van. This vehicle is well-maintained and now I'm finding out that Ram does not have any replacement transmission anywhere. I am being told 3 to 6 months on top of the month that it has already been down. I have an extended warranty through Mopar and this does not mean anything as it relates to expediating a new unit.
What should I do?
I feel like a vehicle with less than a 100K miles should not have transmission problems.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Unfortunately that's the way things are right now. Parts shortages are affecting pretty much everything. Our 2020 1500 Limited has been waiting for a new RF hub for almost 2 months now. Transmissions are complex mechanisms. They can and do occasionally fail with less than 100k miles. Fortunately for most people it isn't common. Unfortunately for you it happened to you. Maybe @RamCares can help you out with getting a replacement sooner.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I feel your pain. 2012 Outdoorsman with just under 75K sitting at the dealership right now for a transmission. They cannot source a RAM transmission at all, but they can get a Jasper (not thrilled by this) and it takes 4 weeks to get there. At least it will get me back on the road, and when the warranty on it is approaching being up (3 years or 100K miles) I'll trade it off. At least it died sitting in my driveway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bighits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas 6 Cylinder
I feel like I am going to buy online a used transmission to just get it running and trade it off. I know I will never purchase another Ram product if I have to do this. The pandemic issues with shortages should be in the past and are in my business. Just frustrated and appreciate any ideas and thoughts...
#Ram
#Promaster

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
See if they can source an aftermarket transmission. At least you will be up and running and should have some type of warranty with it.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello,

I have a 2019 Ram promaster 2500 van with a 6 cylinder gas engine. The transmission had a catastrophic failure at 97K miles. Most if not all highway miles with not much weight in the van. This vehicle is well-maintained and now I'm finding out that Ram does not have any replacement transmission anywhere. I am being told 3 to 6 months on top of the month that it has already been down. I have an extended warranty through Mopar and this does not mean anything as it relates to expediating a new unit.
What should I do?
I feel like a vehicle with less than a 100K miles should not have transmission problems.
Hey there,

We're grateful to be tagged in this thread. We'd love to get you some assistance with your transmission. Would you please send us a direct message with your VIN?

Callie
Ram Cares

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I feel like I am going to buy online a used transmission to just get it running and trade it off. I know I will never purchase another Ram product if I have to do this. The pandemic issues with shortages should be in the past and are in my business. Just frustrated and appreciate any ideas and thoughts...
#Ram
#Promaster
You're fooling yourself it you think Ram is the only car maker suffering from parts shortages. I don't know what business you're in, but in my industry (power protection) we're still very much affected by parts shortages. It's unfortunate you got a van with a bad transmission. But that can happen with any brand. It's your money and your decision. And if you feel better about buying a Ford or Chevy, more power to you. But you're mistaken if you think these issues are limited to Ram. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
B

Bighits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas 6 Cylinder
Hey there,

We're grateful to be tagged in this thread. We'd love to get you some assistance with your transmission. Would you please send us a direct message with your VIN?

Callie
Ram Cares
I have sent a direct message awaiting your response. Thank you