RAM almost here - things to watch out for during the Business Managers meeting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

My factory ordered 2018 RAM 1500 Night Edition will be delivered in the next day or two, which means I'll have to come in and see it, then sit down with the Business Manager and go over "final details" ( like rustproofing, etc. ).

This is my first "new vehicle" purchase and I'm looking to keep the meeting from "running away" on me as I get pummeled by all kinds of fees/extended warranty's/etc. I'm looking to come in, verify that the truck that arrived is the one I ordered, add rust-proofing ( I live in Ontario, CAN, and the snow will be here shortly ) and keep costs as close to what I had signed on for as possible.

Any common pitfalls, grifts, junk-offers, etc. that I should be wary of at this stage of the game?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom & experience,
Yak

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stick to whatever answer you WANT to give. In my case it was a categorical "no" to everything.

Finance/business manager said he still had to go through the schpeel (I get it, its his job). Whipped out a nice looking chart....amazing how close it looked to a "4 square" or "9 square". It offered all sorts of things like paint care, wheel coverage, ding/dent coverage, etc.

They were all spread over a certain amount of years, and once I saw the pricing I kinda got the feeling it was all bs. The 2 year plan was, literally, 30.00 cheaper than the 6 year plan. If the things were THAT worth it, wouldnt the price difference be greater? Sure there were a lot of "coverages" but Im guessing actually getting stuff fixed and paid for would be pretty painful. Googling around for dealer provided coverage shows similar stories. Had to make multiple visits before anyone agreed to cover the cost and fix, then multiple more to actually get it fixed, etc.

The ONLY thing I think MIGHT be worth it is the actual Mopar/Chrysler extended warranty. But dont let them bully you into it....not only can you buy the extended warranty anytime you want during the original factory warranty, there are multiple places online that will sell it to you, discounted far more than the dealer ever would!

The fact you can "wait it out" during the factory warranty is a good thing....if you feel like your truck is going to give you trouble after 3/36, you can consider the extended. If the truck is flawless near 3/36, chances are you wont really need the extended.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that's really helpful advice! Glad to know I can decide on it later. I don't usually like to "go on a salesman's word" and pay money on the spot - I like to do some research before paying any large sum of money.

Thanks again!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the truck was made at the Warren Plant, inspect the paint and body very carefully. The Warren Plant has been putting out crap paint jobs for the last 5-6 years ie; dirt in the paint, thin paint or door jams not painted at all and lots and lots of orange peel. If the truck has any of these problems, once you take delivery, history has shown, that the FCA tries everything they can to deny any type of remedy. Also if you decide to buy the truck, DO NOT let the dealer detail your truck. They, in all probability, will do more damage to the paint than you can imagine. You will end up with swirls and scratches in the paint that at some point will have to be corrected. Most dealers are not equipped to provide quality detail service.
Jay

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You will likely find them trying to add on some bogus charges like “etched glass registration” or “theft registration” or whatever. Often these are not even discussed or mentioned during the spiel for rustproofing, interior treatments, etc.—they just show up as a charge on the dealer paperwork. Carry a notepad into the finance meeting. First thing you should do when they slide the paperwork in front of you is to either snap a photo with your phone or at the very least jot down all the pertinent numbers. Then go over the contract charge by charge and ask what each item is. Do not pay for anything that was not included in your original written agreement. Sometimes when you question a charge, they will happily remove it and hand you another contract with the charge removed—but with a change in selling price, accessory price, or finance rate. In short, they’ll try to connive you any way they can. You need your notes or photos...

Good luck,

DG

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, that reminds me

VIN etching and wheel locks! My dealer tacked those on (in their defense, they were listed on the bill of sale before I signed).

I told them I didnt want either. But of course the VINs were already etched and the wheel locks already installed.

Told the finance guy I wasnt paying for them, he took them off the bill.

And I drove home with my VINs still etched and wheel locks still installed ;)

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
its very very simple. I hope you know exactly how much you are paying for the truck. By that i mean, the sticker price vs the price you negotiated.

Now, take your down payment and or trade in or both and subtract that from the negotiated price. The number left after subtracting those two is what you are paying ( either in cash or financing ). If you are financing, use a simple financial app and type in the amount being financed, the length of the loan and the interest rate. The number you come up with is your monthly payment. Dont forget to add the appropriate tax to the transaction too.

Just an FYI, i'm from new york, so the "rebates" dont save me any tax dollars, so I was taxed on the negotiated price before chrysler rebates and then the rebates come off the final taxed price. Not sure how they do it in your neck of the woods.....

Now back to business.......If the payment the "business manager" gives you is any different than what you came up with, than they are sticking you for some BS charge or fee. You need to know your numbers.......and if at any point you feel confused or uncomfortable, get up and walk away. Go home and look over the numbers, dont get all emotional bc of the moment and get stuck with some BS fees or made up numbers that dont match up....... This is your moment and YOUR money......They cant make you buy it.

Last edited:

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best thing to remember is to check it out very good. As was said earlier, check the paint. If ANYTHING is not to your satisfaction have them put it in writing that they will repair it BEFORE you sign any papers. Best to make them correct it to your liking before you drive it off the lot.

Last edited:

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They will try to seek you all the gimmick warranty. I just went through my 4th buying process and it's all the same. Plus you have to tell them NO multiple times as they continue to print out new contracts with different add ons. I told them no to absolutely everything. Then went out and bought the lifetime warranty for the same price they wanted on a 3 year extended warranty.

Just read everything carefully and don't fall for the sales tricks on the warranties.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the truck was made at the Warren Plant, inspect the paint and body very carefully. The Warren Plant has been putting out crap paint jobs for the last 5-6 years ie; dirt in the paint, thin paint or door jams not painted at all and lots and lots of orange peel. If the truck has any of these problems, once you take delivery, history has shown, that the FCA tries everything they can to deny any type of remedy. Also if you decide to buy the truck, DO NOT let the dealer detail your truck. They, in all probability, will do more damage to the paint than you can imagine. You will end up with swirls and scratches in the paint that at some point will have to be corrected. Most dealers are not equipped to provide quality detail service.
Jay
Amen to that. My 2017 has already been in 4 times trying to get the box lined up, door trim way out of whack, roof gutter rubber seal peeling off and paint repair where it split and started flaking off. All before 1000km. Warren Michigan plant build.

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I kept the standard 3 year warranty but that's bumper to bumper power train is 5yr, so do your research. Yes they will try you to upswell you more warranty, your choice... us Canadians don't have access to the FCA lifetime warranty.

I did splurge on the paint protection, uh huh, only as it came with the lifetime leather, undercoating, and rust proofing. Flat out asked them if I keep it for 30 years and it rusts out is it covered? Yes. The rust proofing looks like a waxy (waxol?) product.

Pick what you can live with. I would have bought the lifetime if it was available, they Tories to sell me the gold plus for $4000. No way!

If you can't dodge it... RAM it!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you only plan to keep it a couple yrs before trading, you probably don't need any add-ons. I've bought used vehicles which were rust-proofed and it really does make a difference if you live in N. states where salt is used. If not, you probably don't need it.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I equate Finance Officers to used car salesmen except, I believe the Finance officers are worse for BS. When I bought a new SUV 2 years ago I got a great deal on the vehicle and had a wonderful salesman. I paid cash and handed the finance officer the money. Then the rest of our conversation went like this. ? no, ? no, ? no. You get the idea. There are other places to get better services for less.

Stick to your guns when you say no, let them know, means no. This is the issue I had with my 2017 Ram Express. I got a phenomenal deal on it but the finance officer was hell bent on getting more money out of me. Even after he finally said I realize you don't want this warranty and I signed the paper that said, No I don't want it, he continued to talk of the benefits of it. I looked at my watch and told him that he promised to have us out of here by a certain time and that time was over and we had 244 miles to drive back home. When I threated to leave, the paperwork was finished, I handed him my check and we were done. We did have a wonderful ride home though.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you buy an extended warranty..make sure it is a factory Maxcare and not some aftermarket company. My dealership tried this on me when I bought my 2014 Durango R/T and when I got home and googled the company there were thousands of complaints. I immediately drove back and they changed it to a Maxcare. Got the same on my 2017 Ram.

OP
OP
Y

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, this is AWESOME advice!! Really stoked to hear all this because I know they'll be trying to screw me at every turn and I also know the best defence is knowledge, preparation, and a firm will.

I already signed a document in order to make the custom order and put $500 down payment. That's it thus far. I'm the type of guy who reads all the fine print so I won't be rushed.

Quick question about the paint. What is the fix for that? If I see paint damage, do I refuse the whole truck... "Order me a new one".... or can it be fixed well enough, as long as I make sure they do it? Does the regular warranty cover paint?

Do I test drive it to make sure it doesn't have some whine or rattle?

Rustproofing...I am looking to keep this truck for many years...at least 7, and I am in a salt province, so it will be needed. I heard about Krown, and would go with that instead of dealer-solution, but I don't want to void my warranty. Anyone know if going with aftermarket Krown voids the warranty?

Thanks again!
Yak

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I too someday in the near future am going to hopefully be ordering my new ride to my specs instead of settling with what the dealership has to offer which makes me wonder since this will be my first time ever to own a brand new vehicle much less order one, how does all this work? Do you have to pay a little bit before you can place your order? Do you talk to your local dealer first about your special order before you place the order for what you want, or what? Other than the options you choose making it cost more, is there typically a higher charge for ordering rather than picking something on the lot?

Also, will it be possible for a dealer to change up a few things from that the website won’t let you do? For example of what I’m talking about, I really like that sport hood....
d02d748b572b424d08b36868fe0990cc.jpg

....but it’s not available on the Laramie (which is what I’m more leaning towards on both the 1500 or2500), or like even on the Limited unless you opt for the Tungsten edition. I mean, if I really wanted the luxurious of the luxurious in the Tungsten, why does it seem like I’m being forced to have to have the body-color door handles, mirrors, front/rear bumpers, the exclusion of the chrome door moldings and the addition of the body-color running boards and body-color ‘RAM’ on the tailgate if I want all that in chrome? I realize it’s more/less what they think the Gemara consensus wood want but I thought that was the whole concept of ordering...[emoji41]

Another example is that I would consider the Limited a little more if I could opt for the 60/40/60 split bench up front but the only available option is the front buckets with the ginormous console between the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Krown does NOT void the warranty. I also live in Ontario and had my truck krowned.

If you PM me your email address, I can forward you an email directly from FCA stating it won't void the warranty.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Stick to whatever answer you WANT to give. In my case it was a categorical "no" to everything.

Finance/business manager said he still had to go through the schpeel (I get it, its his job). Whipped out a nice looking chart....amazing how close it looked to a "4 square" or "9 square". It offered all sorts of things like paint care, wheel coverage, ding/dent coverage, etc.

They were all spread over a certain amount of years, and once I saw the pricing I kinda got the feeling it was all bs. The 2 year plan was, literally, 30.00 cheaper than the 6 year plan. If the things were THAT worth it, wouldnt the price difference be greater? Sure there were a lot of "coverages" but Im guessing actually getting stuff fixed and paid for would be pretty painful. Googling around for dealer provided coverage shows similar stories. Had to make multiple visits before anyone agreed to cover the cost and fix, then multiple more to actually get it fixed, etc.

The ONLY thing I think MIGHT be worth it is the actual Mopar/Chrysler extended warranty. But dont let them bully you into it....not only can you buy the extended warranty anytime you want during the original factory warranty, there are multiple places online that will sell it to you, discounted far more than the dealer ever would!

The fact you can "wait it out" during the factory warranty is a good thing....if you feel like your truck is going to give you trouble after 3/36, you can consider the extended. If the truck is flawless near 3/36, chances are you wont really need the extended.

I purchased my factory warranty from a Dodge dealer in MI. Less than half the price of any other I found and full refund at the end of 4 years if I don't have a claim. How can you go wrong with that deal.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Yak I did the same thing and put $500 down when I bought my truck with the understanding that I would test drive it first and if it bothered my back (I have a messed up back) then I could reject the purchase and I'd get my money back. That being said, drive it first and make sure there are absolutely no issues. My dealership was in the mountains of ID so we drove on smooth pavement, road construction with dirt and gravel and paved with potholes to their local dump. On the way back to the dealership it was Interstate. I gave it the seal of approval and so did my wife.