Ram Box- yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, can’t seem to make up my mind on the Ram Box...lol. Hopefully here real soon I’ll get to place the order for my new 2018 Ram 1500 Limited and I’m kinda stuck on the bed options.

Oh, and I decided to go against the longer 6 foot- 4 bed length since I’m pretty much just buying the truck for the cab space, not so much bed space, but I don’t need a 3/4-ton either.

I don’t plan on towing a lot, probably hardly any at all or really even using the bed to it’s full extent. I like the idea of the tool boxes on the side to stow stuff in without having to use other containers even under a fairly secure tonneau cover and all but I’m not sure I like the visual appeal of the lids. Makes it look too much like a work truck. lol.

I don’t ever plan on putting a camper shell on it, never really liked that look anyways but I do like the function of a shell, tho. Just don’t like how it looks on the bed so that wouldn’t be a deciding factor so I️ wouldn’t have to worry about the issues one would face with the lids. lol.

I do like the big, lockable divider tho. I️ like how you can even unfold it out into a classic bed extender. However, I’m not a fan of the extra-wide bed rails. Looks kinda goofy....lol. That, and after a while of being out in the suns rays, the plastic covers will fade. I dunno, maybe the parts department wouldn’t charge you an arm and leg for a set of replacements if they even had them but what if you’re like me and would want a different type of bed rail cap? A chrome one, or even a stainless set or a diamond plate aluminum set? The Ram Box has been out since what, 2009, 2010 at least? Does anybody make aftermarket bed rail caps for the Ram Box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramhornet15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would not have one without the boxes. I love the functionality of them. I have a bac flip solid folding cover on mine. I haul plywood in it no problems. I don't miss the over the wheel space at all. It is my work truck so it is used as such. The ram boxes are low enough that they are easy to dig through when searching for that needed tool or strap.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question, and one I found myself pondering recently. I ordered my 2018 RAM 1500 Night Edition last month and I was faced with the same decision. I chose the 5'7" bed as I don't require my truck for work/hauling stuff often ( and the longer one wouldn't fit in my garage ) and after much thought, I went without the Ram Boxes. I like the look of them on the outside, I like the idea of having nifty compartments on the side, and I love the bed-divider that comes with it. What I didn't love was how narrow it made the bed. I don't necessarily need my bed for anything specific, but I didn't want to lose the space, and I had no real reason to go for the Ram Boxes ( extra $$, I don't travel with tools often...grocery/kid frigate ).

My truck arrived two days ago and I don't regret my decision. Good luck!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
For me personally it was a no. They are cool, but I don’t need them. I just tie down gear in the bed or put it in the cab. Also keep in mind they will lower your payload rating, which is already pretty abysmal on the Limited.

I have also seen a couple of people on this forum post about having their Ram Boxes violently broken into by some low lives.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love to have them...my next truck will. They would make great coolers for tailgating.... and I would like to keep tools back there as well, and keep the inside storage for stuff that should be inside (towels, dog covers, car cleaning stuff).

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good question, and one I found myself pondering recently. I ordered my 2018 RAM 1500 Night Edition last month and I was faced with the same decision. I chose the 5'7" bed as I don't require my truck for work/hauling stuff often ( and the longer one wouldn't fit in my garage ) and after much thought, I went without the Ram Boxes. I like the look of them on the outside, I like the idea of having nifty compartments on the side, and I love the bed-divider that comes with it. What I didn't love was how narrow it made the bed. I don't necessarily need my bed for anything specific, but I didn't want to lose the space, and I had no real reason to go for the Ram Boxes ( extra $$, I don't travel with tools often...grocery/kid frigate ).

My truck arrived two days ago and I don't regret my decision. Good luck!

It’s funny you say you went with the shorter bed because when i was at the dealership last weekend doing test drives and such, i was still pondering around the idea of the longer bed and even asked the salesman if he had any 1500’s with the longer bed and he said no. He said you probably won’t see an whole lot of them because apparently the “idea” behind the shorter bed was so that the truck would still fit in an average garage. Lol. I said mine won’t get that luxury of being parked in a garage but I sure don’t need the longer bed, that’s for sure. lol.

But see, the loss of the bed space in front of and behind the wheel humps is of no concern to me, tho. That would really only be a concern to someone who uses every square inch their truck bed for which it was designed.

It is a bit of an extra expense, tho. Like 1200 bucks. But like you, I️ have no real reason for it either but as I mentioned tho, I wouldn’t no longer need my little box that has my tools in it sliding around in the bed and I wouldn’t no longer need my little plastic tote box thing that has my jumper cables, receiver hitch, few tie-down straps, tow strap, stuff like that, sliding around back there, either. I could stow it in the bed rail boxes. I really wouldn’t even need a tonneau cover except for on long trips to protect luggage and well, to help with fuel mileage.

You really don’t technically lose space depending on what you need that space for. If you’re hauling around big boxes for example, that space by the humps won’t do you much good anyways. Lumber, same thing.

Not trying to change your reasoning, just saying..lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me personally it was a no. They are cool, but I don’t need them. I just tie down gear in the bed or put it in the cab. Also keep in mind they will lower your payload rating, which is already pretty abysmal on the Limited.
The payload rating is lower on the Limited? How’s that and why? I could understand how it could lower how much stuff you can fit back there but how would it lower payload capacity?
I have also seen a couple of people on this forum post about having their Ram Boxes violently broken into by some low lives.

I’m glad you brought that up. Even a good quality hard tonneau cover, whether it be a tri-fold or one of them high-dollar, in-channel retractable ones probly aren’t totally immune to a prybar but the Ram Box lids didn’t really look any more secure, either.

Even if you didn’t have a lot of money in them bins, replacing a tonneau cover after someone tried to break into it, might be a helluva lot cheaper and a whole lot easier to deal with than new lids, latch, weatherstripping, paint job and or body work on the bed itself. Lol.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
I am on my second Ram with them and would not own another without them. If the thugs will break into your Ramboxes they will break into an in bed toolbox or your cab anyway so that isn't really a consideration.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love to have them...my next truck will. They would make great coolers for tailgating.... and I would like to keep tools back there as well, and keep the inside storage for stuff that should be inside (towels, dog covers, car cleaning stuff).

Yeah, I read that too somewhere that, I don’t know if it’s in each box or not but they’ll supposedly fit 170 cans of beer with ice. Lol. And they do have drains but, you’d probably be going through a lot of ice tho, as I don’t think the plastic tubs or even th bottoms of the lids are insulated so, you and your buddies would have to drink that beer pretty fast before the ice melted. lol.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am on my second Ram with them and would not own another without them. If the thugs will break into your Ramboxes they will break into an in bed toolbox or your cab anyway so that isn't really a consideration.

That is highly true. Probably the main thing is trying not to park in a vulnerable area which yeah, I know, is kinda difficult for those of y’all that live in the city. Lol.

How did your Ramboxes hold up? I’m assuming pretty well if you’re on your second truck now with them and said you won’t have another truck without them.

I take it they last pretty good in the age department about keeping dust and moisture out and especially don’t rattle? Are the latches at least adjustable?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't haul much give em a try. At this point I think if you DON'T get them you're going to have a serious case buyer's remorse! :)

If you don't keep anything in there too expensive ...like some emergency hand tools, I doubt people will be messing with them too much. Just throw an ugly towel on top of the tools and set an old bag that has "Diapers" written on it with marker, on top the tools with some wadded up diapers around it. Nobody's going to mess with them!

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't haul much give em a try. At this point I think if you DON'T get them you're going to have a serious case buyer's remorse! :)

Yeah, that could be true. All the indicators point to getting it as opposed to not but I just can get over the look of them wide bedrails. Lol.

If you don't keep anything in there too expensive ...like some emergency hand tools, I doubt people will be messing with them too much. Just throw an ugly towel on top of the tools and set an old bag that has "Diapers" written on it with marker, on top the tools with some wadded up diapers around it. Nobody's going to mess with them!

Funny, but that’s just the thing about the ole aluminum diamond plate Delta truck box, tonneau cover (hard or soft) or these Ram Boxes, thieves can’t see what they’re hiding or what they’re possibly not hiding unless they know for sure you have something of value in there. Kinda that whole, “outta sight, outta mind” thing.

I think they would come in handy, tho.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
With all the goodies in a Limited, the payload can easily be under 1000 pounds. Dont believe the numbers on Ram's website. I believe the Ram Boxes add 150-250 pounds to the truck. So even if the payload was around 1200 pounds, Ram Boxes just dumped you down to around 1000. I believe a fully loaded Limited 1500 will leave you with around 900 pounds of payload on the door sticker.

If you arent going to be doing much hauling, camping, working etc, then it isnt a big deal. I bring it up because a lot of people end up surprised when they look at the sticker on their door.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all the goodies in a Limited, the payload can easily be under 1000 pounds. Dont believe the numbers on Ram's website. I believe the Ram Boxes add 150-250 pounds to the truck. So even if the payload was around 1200 pounds, Ram Boxes just dumped you down to around 1000. I believe a fully loaded Limited 1500 will leave you with around 900 pounds of payload on the door sticker.

If you arent going to be doing much hauling, camping, working etc, then it isnt a big deal. I bring it up because a lot of people end up surprised when they look at the sticker on their door.

Hmm. I still don’t really see what makes the Limited that much heavier than the other trim packages like the Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and the Rebel, tho. I️ can however see the increased curb weight, lowering the max payload a little from the Ram Boxes, tho.

I know this is a little off topic but since making this thread I may once again be reconsidering the Ram Box as an option so, I may have to drop down a couple trim levels to the Laramie because unless that salesman I’ve been dealing with says otherwise, I️ couldn’t get the Ram Box option to show up while building a Limited on the site which is funny because they had a Limited there in the showroom with it. I don’t remember what model it was, I️ guess it could have been a 2017 but that wouldn’t make any difference, would it? The 2018 Limiteds should have the Ram Box as an option, right?

I dunno, I could do up another thread about that but the only reason I like the Limited is because primarily of the badging, the nicer wheels that aren’t the chrome-clad, plastic over aluminum and the interior is a little bit nicer but, the regular Laramie is pretty nice on the inside too and I can get those fancy front and rear floormats as an option with all the same bells and whistles the Limited has.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My opinion, worth everything you're paying for it - if you're not sure, you probably don't need it. I have the in floor storage boxes, and don't know what to do with those. Tossed a couple things in one of them, but just because it was there. If it wasn't, I'd have put them under the seat. Also, in my case, the truck came with the Alpine stereo, so I only have the driver side rear under seat storage. Still more than enough for me. Think about what you might do with them before paying for it.

And yes, the more options the truck comes with, the less payload it has. It surprising how fast it can add up.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Just looked on Ram's site and they did indeed remove the option for Ram Box on the Limited for 2018. :think:

If you have a lightly optioned Laramie then it will be a few hundred pounds better payload than the Limited. But all of the upper trims in 1/2 ton are going to be within a few hundred pounds of each other on payload, so if you really like the Limited and payload isnt a big need for you than I would say dont worry about it and get the trim you want.

Not sure why they got rid of the Ram Box as an option on the Limited. I also checked on the HD and it isnt available there either.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My opinion, worth everything you're paying for it - if you're not sure, you probably don't need it.
Well, need, want and having it anyways just cuz are three different things...lol.

I have the in floor storage boxes, and don't know what to do with those. Tossed a couple things in one of them, but just because it was there. If it wasn't, I'd have put them under the seat.
I think they all pretty much come with those floor boxes nowadays, especially if you opt for the 9-speaker sound system with the rear sub considering the sub takes up part of your storage under the rear seat.

Also, in my case, the truck came with the Alpine stereo, so I only have the driver side rear under seat storage. Still more than enough for me. Think about what you might do with them before paying for it.
Oh yeah, I have a big speaker box under my rear seat now and the fold-out tray things are in storage in the house..lol. My music is more important that storage. Lol. Gotta have the tunes man....[emoji41]

And yes, the more options the truck comes with, the less payload it has. It surprising how fast it can add up.

Yeah, I’m seeing more and more how that makes sense.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked on Ram's site and they did indeed remove the option for Ram Box on the Limited for 2018. :think:

If you have a lightly optioned Laramie then it will be a few hundred pounds better payload than the Limited. But all of the upper trims in 1/2 ton are going to be within a few hundred pounds of each other on payload, so if you really like the Limited and payload isnt a big need for you than I would say dont worry about it and get the trim you want.

Not sure why they got rid of the Ram Box as an option on the Limited. I also checked on the HD and it isnt available there either.

I think I️ can be happy with the Laramie, too. It’s also available in that Bluestreak Pearl coat color whereas the Limited isn’t for some reason.

And yeah, even tho the wheels on the Laramie are the cheap, chrome plated-plastic covered aluminum, that could just be more of an excuse to upgrade someday to a set of aftermarket wheels than would probably even be way better than what comes stock on the Limited.

As I said, that Limited I sat in Saturday that I didn’t get to test drive because it was inside the showroom, might actually have been a 2017 model. Honestly don’t remember. Lol. I was too busy drooling over it. Lol.

Last edited: