Ram outdoorsman 5.7 MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First, I have had about every engine Mopar has made, I got 18 on big blocks and 22 on small blocks.
Second: My 2016 Ram is identical to yours except I have a hard cover. "If" I drive 70mph, with CC, I get 24 mpg. If I drive "80-85" (normal for me) I get 20mpg. So your in the ball park. See my picture.

View attachment 237704

Nope not identical to the OP's, and actually pretty far off lol.
His is leveled and doesn't have air suspension which lowers the truck at speed.
What were your rpms at that speed in the picture?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently bought a 2016 Ram outdoorsman and have been averaging 12mpg and I do not have a lead foot.

Is this normal?

From what I can tell these are my specs
5.7L Crew cab 4x4
8spd 8HP70
3.92 axle
2" leveling kit
20" stock wheels with BFG Ko2 A/T
Leer camper shell
Yakima Racks on shell and cab

Truck has 96k miles on it. I knew the Hemi was a gas hog but I see people talking about 20mpg range?!? on the interstate going 70 I barely see 15mpg.

I bought it with the Camper shell on it but I assumed it would help it rather then hurt, I know the yakima racks cause a little drag but didn't actually notice any drop in MPG after I put them on.

View attachment 237458

You mpg will go up a couple of mpg come summer time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Cruise control to cruise control eliminates the driver - there are vast differences between the trucks.
For ex., my 16 CC 4X4 3.92's highway tread tires Outdoorsman stock would get 17 mpg @ 74 mph on cruise control. And it really didn't matter to much where it was - flat coastal to hilly areas - the only area that causes big changes is the mid west - since for some reason I am able to manage driving into a headwind going west and coming east, go figure.

Yet, others with a similar setup are claiming 23-24 mpg and at higher speeds to boot.

I have since did a few mods underneath, that will let me hit 20 mpg @74 mph in a no wind situation. Add a headwind coming from a 30-45 degree angle at the front and it quickly drops - driving straight into a headwind actually gives better mpg than the angle wind.

Maybe the stock fender flares are costing me aero drag?????

You'll never get good milege numbers using the cruise or running at 74 mph,lol. Bring your speed down to 50 or 55 mph and drive it very carefully,and look a mile ahead,so you can plan for anything that'll slow you down. Little tidbit,if you have to replace brake pads before 100,000 miles,you're not going to get good milege numbers in your day to day drive cycle.Anybody who has to do brakes between 30,000 to 50,000 miles is not going to get decent milege numbers.Stand a jug of oil up in the box,and see how far you can drive before tipping it over,if you can't make it a whole day with-out tipping it over,you need to change your driving habits if you want to get the most miles out of a gallon of gas.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 2500 6.4L 8 speed transmission. I carry 700lbs of sand in the back for traction. (Don’t even know it’s there with this truck) but.... around town I get 11-12 ( by fill up not evic) and highway anywhere from 16 - 19 mpg. (Summer time it gets better.) I drive spirited but not pounding the pedal constantly. I think it’s fantastic mpg for a 2500 HD! Yours ...... not so much!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, but what I am saying, is there are plenty who do use cruise and there are significant differences between what should be similar trucks.

For ex., on my truck (stock except for highway tires installed instead of the OEM AT tires, and ARE fiberglass tonneau cover), the only time eco and mds would come on when cruising on flat interstate @ 74 mph was only if there was a vehicle in front of me off in the next lane ( usually a 100 yards or so ahead of me). Once I would pass them and if there weren't any other vehicles to disturb the air, eco or mds was not coming on.
So that meant, I was in 8 cyl. mode at all times - which would be about right at 17 mpg.

I do have a solid tonneau, and maybe that is messing with the aerodynamics as I see some really strange patterns back there when the snow is on it.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
I am running 3.21 diff with an Eaton LS unit . During this cold weather my mileage is down to 17 but I also do little city driving. Highway I have gotten as high as 24.5 but that is on fairly level ground and holding at 65mph. Even my 4.7 RAM with a 3.92 diff is not getting very high numbers. Warmer weather is 2 weeks out then our numbers will come up some.

Michael L Hensley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned a 2016 1500 and now own a 2019 1500. Both have 5.7 hemi with 3.92 differential. I have averaged 18+ life of vehicle with mixed driving and living in Utah spend a lot of time driving up the mountains.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are the people who had the 20+ mpg checking their mileage with a real calculation ? I mean when you go to the pump pick out your number of miles and divided it by the gallons you really used to do this number of miles... maybe the truck computer is a little optimistic...

Been there...done that.....truck is very accurate.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
His key to the mpg is the very slow speed.
On the level with 3.21 gears and that slow speed, you are basically cruising around just off of idle.

Yup. Any rpm above 1900 will yield garbage mileage. On my long USA trips in my 2500 5.7 6 stick I drive 50 to 55 mph usually on interstate highways where I use cruise control most of the time. I get a calculated 18 t0 19 over long distances with good driving conditions. Once you hit the 2000 rpm value your mileage dies a fast death.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lets see, "16" 2500, 4x4, 5.7, 6 spd, 4'10's & cclb Outdoorsman. 2 inch level 35 12.5 18's Falken M/T's (HEAVY). when bought used was still stock, even had the Transforce tires still, was getting 15-16 on cruise doing 65 ish. winter dropped to 13-14. after level tires and topper summer mpg's dropped to 14-15 at 65 ish 13-14 at 70 ish. winter drops to 10.5-11.5 at 70 ish. all on 87 octane. but as a lot of people say we didn't buy these badass trucks for mileage.

Macfolk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am amazed at how many are getting much better mileage than I am. I average 15.4 or so with about 4 miles of highway driving in the AM and some back roads and all back roads on the way home. I am not a leadfoot and live in the flatlands, Sarasota, FL.

I have a '17 Express with the Hemi and 8spd. 2WD. So far it's stock and on the original tires. I run 87 from Shell.

How are you guys getting 17-19 in town?

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the camper shell the tires and the gears are why it gets bad mileage.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are you guys getting 17-19 in town?

Ever since the 90s when forums were called bulletin boards there were always dudes saying their lifted beater on 1-tons and interco boggers gets 40mpg all day long because they swapped in a diesel from a box truck or something.

Everyone's gotta have a dream just ask my independently wealthy, professional volleyball playing wife ;)

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My .02 cents...
Mileage varies based on so many things. Location, truck mods, truck condition, driver variables, etc.
Location. Driving through the mountains, like when I drive from New Mexico to Utah. I fill up half way. And in every single vehicle I have driven thru that route, the second tank is ALWAYS better. Because When I drive thru the mountains, what goes up MUST come down. Whatever horrific mileage I get climbing that mountain more than makes up on the other side. It's no different than in an airplane. I'm a pilot. If we're trying to save gas, we always try to get as high as possible, so we can "make gas" on the descent. However, driving I-10 thru Texas, the constant up and down eats the mileage bigtime. The climbs are just enough to rob the fuel economy, and the descents just aren't long enough to recoup the loss. I've noticed this on ALL the vehicles I've driven on that freeway. Arkansas is rolling hills, and this might have something to do with it.

Truck mods. If you lift/level the truck, you're gonna lose a little. I have an ARE topper, and the weight and the aero interference affects the mileage negatively. Larger tires, gonna take away mileage. If the truck isn't running in top shape, it's going to affect mileage. Your gears are gonna affect mileage as well. 3.92's will be better around town than 3.21s, and 3.92s will be better for moderate highway speeds. Anything over 65 or 70, and your RPMs are higher, thus getting worse mileage. However, 3.21s don't get any better, I have found, at higher speeds. What you might "gain" due to lower RPMs at speeds will be negated by the higher wind resistance. It is what it is.

Driver variables. Well, we all drive different. 'Nuff said on that.

My truck. It's a 4x4 5.7L Laramie. Front is leveled. Slightly bigger-than-stock E-rated tires. 275 65 20's. I have a tuner, bigger throttle body, headers, high-flow cats with new O2 sensors, Gibson cat-back exhaust. 6.4L Hemi Manifold with SnB intake. Only reason for the SnB intake over stock is because the 6.4 intake manifold routes the intake hose different. And prolly a couple other mods I'm forgetting.

With the tune, I run slightly aggressive throttle response, but a fuel-mileage tune. I'm corrected for tire size. First and foremost, I love this truck! I love the sound with the exhaust mods. The tune and all the other small mods add to a little more power and make it a joy to drive. Second, it's a truck. I would love to get 25 mpg, but that's a pipe dream. It's a truck. However, if I was getting 12 mpg on a regular basis, I too would be concerned. If I had my foot in the throttle constantly, my joy would compensate for the frown from the mileage. But if I was trying to get better, then I would try to figure out why.

With my tune, running the fuel economy mode doesn't do much for daily driving, or when empty. It did, however, bump up my towing mileage by 2-4 mpg. No joke. I was getting 10-11 towing, and now, with the same trailer, same load, 12-14. And this is alway HAND CALCULATED.

A couple of things I regularly do if I notice mileage going down, I try to drive mellow on the next tank to see if I was driving a little spirited on the last tank lol. I check the tire pressure. E-rated tires, I run 60-65 psi. This will help the mileage, and the mileage of the tires. BTW, I've had these Cooper Discoverer ATP's for 80k miles. Yes, 80k. Put them on at 17k, getting rid of the crappy "BadYears" and have almost 100k on the truck now. Still an eighth of an inch from the wear bars. Keep the truck tuned. Check/replace the plugs. Either take out the injectors and clean them, but what I would do first is get some Sea Foam and put in the tank. Recently, I took two cans of Sea Foam and put in the oil and the fuel tank. 1 oz per quart of oil in the crankcase and 1 oz per gallon in the tank. So, I bought two 16 oz cans. Put about half of one can in the engine oil, and the rest in the tank. I did this before the last oil change. If you've not heard of this, you can look it up. Putting Sea Foam in your oil 100-300 miles prior to an oil change. Anyways, then I drove about 150 miles over a couple of days and changed the oil. Used Royal Purple 5w20. I'm getting 1-2 mpg better. The first tank, I was like "No way." The next tank, same thing. The next tank, I was like, "Let's see if I can do better." Started driving really mellow. No JackRabbit starts, kept my speed under 70 on the highway, etc. And my normal mpg is 16-17. I was getting 18-20. Hand Calculated. So, check your tire pressure, use some Sea Foam and use good oil, do what someone mentioned and put a bottle of something in the back and see if you can drive without it falling over, and see what happens. Oh, and what others have said, your mileage will go up in a couple of months anyway when the winter blend is gone.

Last edited:

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Recently bought a 2016 Ram outdoorsman and have been averaging 12mpg and I do not have a lead foot.

Is this normal?

From what I can tell these are my specs
5.7L Crew cab 4x4
8spd 8HP70
3.92 axle
2" leveling kit
20" stock wheels with BFG Ko2 A/T
Leer camper shell
Yakima Racks on shell and cab

Truck has 96k miles on it. I knew the Hemi was a gas hog but I see people talking about 20mpg range?!? on the interstate going 70 I barely see 15mpg.

I bought it with the Camper shell on it but I assumed it would help it rather then hurt, I know the yakima racks cause a little drag but didn't actually notice any drop in MPG after I put them on.

View attachment 237458
Things like this make me feel good about my MPG avg. I have the 545 RFE and a 7in lift w/35's and avg. 15mpg highway and 13 city.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP, 12mpg is ok in the city, 15mpg is ok in the fwy. I wouldn't worry about it too much especially given the mods the truck has.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
CCAA44B7-D953-49CC-BC0F-626A73122ED6.jpeg Running around in 4auto the last week or so in the snow... last fill up mine got 8.9mpg. But that’s a lot of idling and hauling wood to folks. Pretty decent for 199k mile 2008 model 5.7 I reckon.

El_Lobo_Gris1500C

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Classic, 5.7L with the 3.92 gears, Toyo Open country AT3’s stock size on 20” stock wheels, bed cover, K&N intake and Flowmaster 50HD muffler and 5” tips, pedal commander set at sport -2 or -3 and I drive about 7-8km each way to work all city stop and go and I am currently at 14.7 MPG. On the highway instant was showing around 24-28 MPG but average stays around 14.7MPG.

DC Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 Ram quad 4x4 went from 16.5 HWY to 14.5 when I put a fiberglass shell on.
If you have an aggressive tread on the tires I would think your close the what you would get. I do agree to one of the posts Plugs,Filter injector & oil service are going to help milage.