Ram owners with 3.6 V6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I never owned a 4.7L v8 Magnum ram (test drove a few, but with 6spd). Do you have a 3.6L v6 Pentastar Ram?
(gas mileage was great on my 13 v6 compared to my 18 Laramie 5.7L now... If there had been a deal on a V6 Laramie, I would have bought it over the v8 for the amount of highway driving I do for work).

M² Mods.

I own a V6 RAM and 2 V6 300s. They’re amazing engines, and the 8 sp makes it better.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I currently have the 4.7 in my Dakota. 221,000 miles, and runs great, but burning about 1 quart every 500 miles.

Mine has 425K on her and she runs great minus the exhaust starting to act up, haha

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I never owned a 4.7L v8 Magnum ram (test drove a few, but with 6spd). Do you have a 3.6L v6 Pentastar Ram?
(gas mileage was great on my 13 v6 compared to my 18 Laramie 5.7L now... If there had been a deal on a V6 Laramie, I would have bought it over the v8 for the amount of highway driving I do for work).

M² Mods.

Also, Just to add onto this, my 4.7 gets the same gas mileage as my 3.6 does, sometimes even better.

I can get 20 city and usually 27 highway but sometimes 30 if i push it.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealership replaced my oil filter housing free of charge when they did my first oil change. Said, the redesigned ones don’t crack like the originals so they replaced it to be pro active at no charge. Haven’t had a problem since.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has 425K on her and she runs great minus the exhaust starting to act up, haha

425?? Holy crap, that's impressive. Are you burning oil yet on it?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

No oil burning at all, and i don’t know how that’s possible.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

I still think it’s hilarious how people say chrysler’s don’t last, how FCA is crap, but yet their vehicles somehow manage to last the longest. FCA owners seem to know what “general maintenance” is, meanwhile everyone that ***** on them sees to see a quart of oil that says it could last to 20K and test the theory to see if it could, then complain about how their engine exploded.

I don’t think i can take anyone like that seriously, especially when every Chrysler/FCA vehicle i’ve had has lasted longer than any of my ford/toyota/GM vehicles.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
It slips past the rings when the rings wear.

I know that lol. I’m saying i don’t know how a 425K engine can not burn oil.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that lol. I’m saying i don’t know how a 425K engine can not burn oil.

Oh, Ha ha ha, sorry. Got you mixed up with the owner of the 425K engine.

Wait, I'm all mixed up here.

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The later year 3.6L motors still have fragile oil cooler housings. Not to mention left side head problems due to design. Had a number of Wranglers with this motor and would never buy another one EVER! Go with the 5.7L and save yourself the headaches.

[emoji1787] are you serious? The 5.7l has a litany of problems in almost every Dodge application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWG88ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He read it on the internet so it has to be true.... hahaha!!!!

I loved my Challenger with the hemi but holy ****, that car. People had timing chains snapping on the highway amongst other mind-boggling problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
So I changed my oil at 1300 miles, just because. Put in the new O-ring, lubed with silicon grease, lightly. I did not like the "feel" of the plastic threads when replacing the filler cap, kinda gritty(?) or rough. So I lubed the threads with a little silicon grease also. Then it went on smoother. Typical plastic threads. Did it hand-tight plus 1/8th of turn---compressing rubber/viton/whatever material in an O-ring right? Now have 1900 miles, no leaks so I don't think any further tightening was needed. I'm glad this forum thread was here, to make me cautious and not just "Gorilla" that nut-cap.
BTW: I bought a short socket specifically for this job: made by Lisle; 24mm, 3/8" drive, 6-point from Amazon for about $10. With a small flex handle, it works fine to R&R that nut.
And I have a little boroscope/endoscope (Amazon again) that fits into a laptop for something under $30. It's only 5.5mm to fit into my rifles' bores and should see any oil leaks on the valley cover.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I changed my oil at 1300 miles, just because. Put in the new O-ring, lubed with silicon grease, lightly. I did not like the "feel" of the plastic threads when replacing the filler cap, kinda gritty(?) or rough. So I lubed the threads with a little silicon grease also. Then it went on smoother. Typical plastic threads. Did it hand-tight plus 1/8th of turn---compressing rubber/viton/whatever material in an O-ring right? Now have 1900 miles, no leaks so I don't think any further tightening was needed. I'm glad this forum thread was here, to make me cautious and not just "Gorilla" that nut-cap.
BTW: I bought a short socket specifically for this job: made by Lisle; 24mm, 3/8" drive, 6-point from Amazon for about $10. With a small flex handle, it works fine to R&R that nut.
And I have a little boroscope/endoscope (Amazon again) that fits into a laptop for something under $30. It's only 5.5mm to fit into my rifles' bores and should see any oil leaks on the valley cover.

I’m jealous of how prepared you are. I need to grab few things,lol

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have never heard of a 400K+ engine not burning some oil.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I’m jealous of how prepared you are. I need to grab few things,lol

It's because I read a lot of "Cautions" right here in the forums---and I'm grateful to all who posted those dangers to keep me from problems, thanks to all! :driver:

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I have never heard of a 400K+ engine not burning some oil.

Could just be that my oil change intervals are incredibly short and i don’t give it enough time to burn oil. I check it around every other other other time i go get gas and it’s always where it started off as.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could just be that my oil change intervals are incredibly short and i don’t give it enough time to burn oil. I check it around every other other other time i go get gas and it’s always where it started off as.

Sent from my Blue Onyx RAM 1500
I had a 400k 305 Chevy that never lost a drop on the dipstick. The rings were so worn that the gas just diluted the oil to the right level over time.