Rambox Rail accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricknhank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Crew Cab,
I’m looking to see if anyone makes accessories that will fit into the sides of the cargo rails on the bed (other than the OEM tie downs) with Ramboxes. I want to haul a couple of kayaks and I know that there is a company that makes a light duty ladder rack that slides into the TOP slot of the cargo rails but I just installed a TruXedo Pro X15 and that utilizes the top slot for the tonneau rails. If I could find something that would slide into the side of the Ram cargo rails I could make a rail or even mount some type of bed rail to make it easier to haul the kayaks side by side.
Thank you in advance
Hank

erickpl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Not sure myself, but I'd like to know more about the rack that uses the top part of the rails. I don't have a tonneau (yet), so something like that would be great for my application (kayaks as well).

Have you considered fabbing something? That is the route I'm looking at unless I can find a good setup.

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Outside of the ladder rack that @unxpctd posted above, has anyone else found other compatible racks that you can use with the ram rail system? Mopar has some, but they are too low profile. I'm hoping to find something in between the low profile Mopar ones and a full on ladder rack that extends above the cabs

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it actually work with the DT Rams though? It shows 2009-current, meaning probably the DS/Classic Rams. Plus, with the DT Rams so far, you cannot get the Rambox with the 6.4 bed in the 1500s, whereas you could with the 4th gens (DS).

It's a good question and point. I'm planning on contacting them today anyway to ask about compatibility on a couple of their options with the ram box Rams. I'll see if they can confirm the above!

Utah Biker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just following up here... sounds like the Front Runner Simline II Tray/Rack will work but for the 5'7" beds they require rails that aren't tonneau specific (the lip on the tonneau rails interfere with their foot adapters). If you order their rails, you'd have to cut theirs because they don't have short enough ones. Seems like a bit of a pain, but it does sound like the Rack/Tray would fit just barely with the ramboxes.

Below is the quote they provided me.

upload_2020-8-11_9-8-57.png

Ktoomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hank - not sure if you found a good rail system to take advantage of those side rails + the ram box? If not... I did stumble across these (although the link is promoting the deck drawers system), the photo shoes some adjustable height rail towers that seem to connect into those bed side rails. I'm trying to find these myself...so if you found something similar that works please let me know.

See here

Ecotanker

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with Electric Assist
If you are interested in DIY, This is what I built. When I had everything the way I wanted it, I used leftover Monstaliner to give it a black textured look. As long as you have the tie down rails (that I believe come with the Ramboxes) there is no drilling or anything done to the truck itself. Might have been $150 in parts... I habitually carry two Kayaks and just recently used it to transport a bunch of dimensional lumber that was bigger than the bed.

Attachments

• Kayak with Ram box open.jpg
    Kayak with Ram box open.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 33
  • dual rack low.jpg
    dual rack low.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 33
  • in bed single kayak rack wheels.jpg
    in bed single kayak rack wheels.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Strut attachement on U bracket.jpg
    Strut attachement on U bracket.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 29
  • U bracket on rail system.jpg
    U bracket on rail system.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Rack for Rambox.jpg
    Rack for Rambox.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 31

Ktoomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
This is excellent EcoTanker! Very similar to what I was trying to envision in my mind lol! I think for me, I'd like to clone that except make the rack sit up higher out of the bed so I could widen the outside rails... to extend over the top of the open Ram Boxes (e.g. raising yours equivalent up by maybe 8-10"), because my kayak racks are saddle type... so I need wider cross bars extend out to the edges of the truck bed more... as i need both my kayaks to sit on their bottoms in the saddles (hence the wider crossbars needed). But I think using your design and just having longer vertical pillars, then attaching those to wider frame bars extending out over the ram boxes to the edge of truck, it would accommodate longer cross bars for my saddles to mount too.

By chance did you have an inventory list of all the parts you used for yours? Looks like a pretty slick build man, nice job!

Darrin

1651511042789.jpeg

Shiggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is excellent EcoTanker! Very similar to what I was trying to envision in my mind lol! I think for me, I'd like to clone that except make the rack sit up higher out of the bed so I could widen the outside rails... to extend over the top of the open Ram Boxes (e.g. raising yours equivalent up by maybe 8-10"), because my kayak racks are saddle type... so I need wider cross bars extend out to the edges of the truck bed more... as i need both my kayaks to sit on their bottoms in the saddles (hence the wider crossbars needed). But I think using your design and just having longer vertical pillars, then attaching those to wider frame bars extending out over the ram boxes to the edge of truck, it would accommodate longer cross bars for my saddles to mount too.

By chance did you have an inventory list of all the parts you used for yours? Looks like a pretty slick build man, nice job!

Darrin

View attachment 492381
Looks like he is using the unistrut/channel rails and its accessories.

I am also looking into getting a ladder rack that extends the height of the cab with retractable tonneau cover. Haven’t had a luck finding that. However, love the @Ecotanker design and might just use that.