Rambox value killer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The sales guy was spewing nonsense. Rambox is a great, completely useful feature. He just wanted to close the sale.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Interesting. What I like most about them is that I can carry all my tools, towing equipment and other random stuff without having to use a toolbox in the bed, and I can still fit 4 x __ sheets of plywood. That said, I can see not having the need for it and finding them to be not worth the added cost.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They will tell you anything to sell one on the lot. I was told in February that I could not order a 2018 Ram 2500 long bed 4x4, Longhorn package unless it was a diesel. The sales manager told me all orders of 2500 gas 2018s was locked out because Ram was putting out the 2019s. I said but not 2500s, no reply. I was even asked why I wanted a long bed. I said because they made them.

They are not going to tell me what I want if it is produced.

I went down the road, really less than 30 miles, ordered exactly what I wanted and got it in 4 weeks. I was even kept up to date on the progress including the day the factory officially started on it. As a matter of fact it was expedited for some reason. The salesman I ordered through said he loved special orders as he knew they were sold and did not have to walk around the lot in the Texas heat showing all the trucks and then the guy leaving without ordering.

Unless you know you are going to only keep a vehicle for a short time order what you want. Resale is not going to be that big of a deal a few years later. If the Ram box wasn't such a good deal why are they not on the lot. B/C They don't keep them because they sell so well. I see a lot on the road and very few used ones.

Get what you want.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have never heard someone say I don’t want that rig because it has Ram Box but I have heard the other way around. If I was Ram I would make the standard the Ram Box and if someone doesn’t want it they can delete it. This would help them get a leg up on the competition. No one can match it.

iland99

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Express 4x4
Engine
Looks like I'm the odd man out, I thought the Ram box looked awesome until I saw it in person for the first time and saw how much bed space it took up. No hauling a 4 wheeler in the bed, less room for hauling firewood, etc. Just wouldn't work for my needs.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have never heard someone say I don’t want that rig because it has Ram Box but I have heard the other way around. If I was Ram I would make the standard the Ram Box and if someone doesn’t want it they can delete it. This would help them get a leg up on the competition. No one can match it.

ive met quite a few that dont like them, so making it just one way would only do more harm than good, ive walked by some here in texas where the heat has actually warped the plastics on them and they dont fit right anymore, but one of my biggest complaints on them is i do not like seeing the body-line from them on the outside of my bed, my mom had a titan a long time ago and the little door they put on the side of the bed didnt set well with me either...

i willl agree that its a sales trick to just move whats on the lot, when i bought my motorcycle a month ago they did what they could to get me to take what was on the lot vs making them order another, but at the same time they told me thats what they were doing and even took money off the bike i bought so i would take one from the current inventory

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. No doubt.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive met quite a few that dont like them, so making it just one way would only do more harm than good, ive walked by some here in texas where the heat has actually warped the plastics on them and they dont fit right anymore, but one of my biggest complaints on them is i do not like seeing the body-line from them on the outside of my bed, my mom had a titan a long time ago and the little door they put on the side of the bed didnt set well with me either

I definitely did not want the rambox nor a sunroof, both of those were on my "must NOT have" list.

Domino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
In 2010 I bought my first RAM. The ram box was a mystery to me, I’d never heard of it and at the time they were in very limited supply. A black 1500 Sport, loaded with leather landed the morning I had returned from my test drive. It had the Rambox. I bought it without even blinking twice.

I’m bought two more since and the Rambox was a dealbreaker for me. No Rambox, no sale!

I respect that it is not for everyone, but the functional space for my purposes is perfect!

I have several friends that have purchased Rams since and after seeing mine have all purchased with Ramboxes.

When I sold my 2010, the buyer was half way across the country. He was looking for a rambox. I shipped the used truck by train to him.

R1200GS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bingo. I'd say its ********. I wouldn't go without ramboxs after having them personally.
I agree. I've had two Rams with Ramboxes...most practical option among many. Of course, it is an individual need situation, so for some, the boxes would actually enhance the resale value, for others, maybe not, but if the boxes were not useful, then look for another truck.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I definitely did not want the rambox nor a sunroof, both of those were on my "must NOT have" list.

id live with a rambox LONG before i took a sunroof, ill tuck tail and run from a sunroof, its not a matter of if, but a matter of when your car will have water in it...

Bin317

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD
So as I'm shopping I hit this thread since the Rambox was one thing I was on the fence about; but the bigger curiosity for me now is the anti-sunroof comments... I've had 2 trailblazers and 3 muranos with sun-roofs and never a leak. Of course they were leases and never exceeded 3-5 years with any of them.

Are there known issues with the '19(s) and their sunroofs? I suppose that's what insurance and warranty are for but if a known problem I'd rather make an informed decision before opting into including the sunroof.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
As a 7 time 09+ Ram owner and 5 of them having the Rambox option... It's a must for me. I carry tools, sports equipment, and whatever else I want need in them all the time. They lock with the truck and keep everything dry. For me it's perfect.

I am looking at the 2019's and I will wait until they get some here with the Ramboxes. Gotta have it!

P.S. I like sunroofs and a lot of those Rams had a sunroof, never had issues with them. If it came down between the two... Rambox wins.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as I'm shopping I hit this thread since the Rambox was one thing I was on the fence about; but the bigger curiosity for me now is the anti-sunroof comments... I've had 2 trailblazers and 3 muranos with sun-roofs and never a leak. Of course they were leases and never exceeded 3-5 years with any of them.

Are there known issues with the '19(s) and their sunroofs? I suppose that's what insurance and warranty are for but if a known problem I'd rather make an informed decision before opting into including the sunroof.

No no your fine, I’m just not a sunroof kinda guy

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
id live with a rambox LONG before i took a sunroof, ill tuck tail and run from a sunroof, its not a matter of if, but a matter of when your car will have water in it...

I have never not had a sunroof and never had a leak- VW GTI, Mazda 3, Mitsubishi Montero Sport, Lexus RX 350, Mercedes C350, BMW X3 and my current Ram.
Now I would never have an aftermarket sunroof added, but haven't had any issues with factory sunroofs leaking

That is the great thing about these trucks, you can get em exactly how you want em

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My recent 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a sunroof, I sold it last year when I got my Ram & it never leaked. It had 210,000 miles on it. My wifes 2007 Pacifica also has one with no issues.

Sonny188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The first thing everyone says after "Nice looking truck" is "How do you like those storage compartments?" Then they want to look inside and love them...I'd say value added.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I like the idea of the Ram box and think it's cool but the reality is it would never work for me, I need the bed space. Also doesn't work well on the HD trucks for towing 5th wheels.
I wouldn't say it's a value killer but I do think it is less desirable to "most" truck owners. It's really going to come down on how you use your truck. I honestly see very few of them on the road compared to the regular bed Ram.