Rambox value killer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i know there are stories of sunroofs not leaking on vehicles, but in my neighborhood, i can name 3 vehicles that throw a tarp over their trucks in the rain, and ive known MANY more that just accept the leaks, ive also known many to not leak, for me i just dont want a big hole in my trucks roof, most i allow is cab lights, and those i seal up 7 ways to sunday so that they dont even have the option of leaking....

if it has a rubber seal, and if its a moving part, it will wear out, and it will leak, depends on its use and how its cared for of course as to how long that will take.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I totally agree as no matter what once you drill into something and use a gasket, it’s prone to leak.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I have never heard someone say I don’t want that rig because it has Ram Box but I. have heard the other way around. If I was Ram I would make the standard the Ram Box and if someone doesn’t want it they can delete it. This would help them get a leg up on the competition. No one can match it.

Let me be the first.... No rambox for me. I don't care for the looks. It serves no purpose for my needs It takes up usable space in the bed. I don't think my dealer stocks them for inventory. They are more than happy to order one but obviously there isn't much call for it in my area. If there was, they'd have a bunch.....

mlwapw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel 6.7
This my second Ram with ramboxes. I wouldn't have one without them.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
I couldn’t decide on Rambox until I learned can’t get Gooseneck/Fifth wheel prep package if you get Ram boxes, so made decision easy. It makes no sense to me to have a 3/4 Diesel and not the prep pkg. If gas engine it is not as critical in my opinion.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Around here it seems that some dealers order nothing but, and others order hardly any.

Reminded me of a dealership I visit now and then in Calgary.
2013 I asked about RAM Boxes a sales guy said total junk, they won't have them on the lot, too easy to break into.
2014 same sales guy told me buying a truck without them was going to make it next to worthless from a resale perspective, it's a must have.
2015 same sales guy told me you could not pay him to drive a truck with them, let alone buy one. They had a few but I'd never regret anything more. Takes too much space, basically useless.
2017 same sales guy told me he had them on his last few trucks and his wife would never forgive him if he traded it in for one without them.

I like mine, but they aren't for everyone. I go back and forth on getting them again. Added weight means reduced payload capacity, less space in the box, harder to reach into the box from the side, no topper or in bed camper, more expensive covers, etc..

Paul Rey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all... I'm new here and just bought a 2019 1500 with the RamBox option. And although I appreciate the storage capability, I need to carry lumber, ladders, kayaks and other long items. As such, I'm regretting getting the RamBox.

Has anyone found a decent lumber rack for the RamBox bed? The ones I've found have only a 150 lb. capacity....

Mazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wanted a 2018 RAM with the Rambox, but dealers only had ONE 2500 Power Wagon on a lot and the ONLY PW within 200 miles with the Rambox the sales manager was so rude, I walked out, went 50 miles out of my way and bought a truck with more features but, no Rambox...it's all good, can't miss what you never had! Next time!

MFortie1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6/7L Cummins
Following this with interest as I'm thinking about moving back to a Ram (currently have a GMC). The Rambox / 5th wheel comment got my attention -- I have a gooseneck horse trailer and obviously need to pull it; does the Rambox preclude pulling a GN/fiver? Or is it just about the prep package?

I had a B&M turnover hitch put on my Jimmy -- I suppose I could always do that, yes?

Thanks.

Paul Rey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I was poking around my local dealer today, getting sticker info, etc. A sales guy came up to, so I ran a couple of questions by him. After telling him I want to look at a Limited (they had none in stock yet, but 1 coming in 2 weeks), I asked him if any had the rambox. He said “no, those kill resale value. No one wants them. Great feature, I like it. But we don’t sell many because they kill value.” I really want this feature, and am considering a factory order to get it. Is it really going to kill my value that bad?

At a recent event, I was surrounded by about a dozen Silverados, 3 F150s and 3 Rams -- without RamBoxes. And the almost universal response to my RamBoxes was a resounding YES! Everyone loved them!!! So although I can't say how that relates to resale value, there is a contingent of folks out there that see the value in them.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I would like em if they opened on the top rail like my old avalanche instead of down on the side of the truck. I just dont like that wavy seam there. as for the sunroof discussion, I always get one because here in texas it is handy to pop the top a little when parking out in the heat plus I like to sometimes ride with mine open in the fall.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a 2019 Bighorn from dealer inventory - had everything I wanted except the RamBoxes and the price was right. I traded in a 2012 Tradesman with RamBoxes. They said my trade was valued higher because of them. As happy as I am with the 2019, I will miss the boxes.

I don't like tool chests, especially in a 5'7 box as they really take away from bed use. The Ramboxes sit over the wheel wells, so in my opinion you're not losing that much storage space - but for those that pack the bed with stuff I can see their point. I felt as long as I can fit a 4 x 8 sheet in it I was fine. I personally think what is gained outweighs some lost space. I don't like things sliding around the bed. In one I kept a floor jack so I never had to F-around with the scissor jack, tow strap, trailer hitch shackle, jumper cables, folding military shovel, old winter jacket and gloves for emergency, windshield de-icer fluid, etc. The other one I kept empty for whatever the days activity would be (sometimes as a cooler, shotguns, softball equipment bag, etc.)

renfrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eastcoastmoparts sells ram box’s for $1600 and change. I’m thinking about adding one to my 10. Has anyone added one after the fact??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Following this with interest as I'm thinking about moving back to a Ram (currently have a GMC). The Rambox / 5th wheel comment got my attention -- I have a gooseneck horse trailer and obviously need to pull it; does the Rambox preclude pulling a GN/fiver? Or is it just about the prep package?

I had a B&M turnover hitch put on my Jimmy -- I suppose I could always do that, yes?

Thanks.
I'm thinking you might be able to get away with a gooseneck, depending on the trailer and hitch config. But a 5er isn't going to happen because the available bed space in between the ramboxes is too narrow for the hitch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just pick up my new 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC Cummins short bed. I really wanted the RAMboxes. I started looking for an Eco Diesel. I couldn't find one with the sport package let alone Ramboxes. Then I thought about ordering a Rebel with a Hemi loaded up and it was 65K. I was like I can get another Cummins for that price. Ramboxes had a bit more availability in a 2500. I found a truck in Ephrata WA that had about everything I wanted but they didn't want to step up the trade. I ended up going to Dave Smith and Idaho. Saved me 3K and a got a truck with more stuff on it as it was 1800 higher sticker. And I still paid less at DS.

I use to run a hard cover on the bed of my 2004.5 ****** 2500 with a stick. I had a large tool box I kept in the front of the bed with truck stuff in it. I started dirt biking and needed the bed to haul the KTM. Ramboxes solve lots of issues of running an open bed. Tools, chains, tow straps and truck stuff on the bttm. Riding gear on one side and leave some open space on the drivers side for grocery bags. Lockable and dry it is a great solution. Extra tie downs on the rails are perfect for hauling 2 bikes plus the rear bed extension to hold all the gear in place. I have a 3 place enclosed sled trailer but sometimes it nice to just have the sled in the truck bed. Extra traction and no trailer hassles during sketchy spring mountain riding conditions. I think they are winner but time will tell. Also the Led light are great for loading at night

John Tof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you got the truck now? How do you like it?
I am waiting mine. With Ramoboxes just like my current 2015. You will never want anything less than Ramboxes.
Did you get the BUG? (BedUtilityGroup), if yes, can you use your divider as an extender or are you missing the thingies to connect the extender to?

OP
OP
o2cmefly

o2cmefly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So you got the truck now? How do you like it?
I am waiting mine. With Ramoboxes just like my current 2015. You will never want anything less than Ramboxes.
Did you get the BUG? (BedUtilityGroup), if yes, can you use your divider as an extender or are you missing the thingies to connect the extender to?

I’m still waiting. It shipped from MI on 1/29, and arrived at a railyard in MD on 2/4. I’m waiting for it to be loaded onto a hauler, and brought to the dealer. I expect it to arrive sometime this week. I did order the Bed Utility Group, and expect all the parts to be there. I’m also expecting the deployable bed step to be included in the bed utility group (like the brochure says it is), even though it was listed as a separate add-on, and I didn’t add it (because I understood it to be included in the BUG).

I’ll post again when it shows up.