Re:Do Gen 4 Hemi 2500 have trans cooler stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Has anyone actually tested the temperature of the rear differential fluid after long towing events? I almost bought into the banks ram air rear diff cover, but figured that my rear differential is designed to handle a Cummins putting out 900 ft/lbs of torque, while I’m hitting it with the power of a hemi, less than half the torque of a Cummins.

I am not an engineer.

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the trans has to have a cooler. how stupid would it be if there wasnt one. its in front of the radiator. follow the trans lines right to it

Toddz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey Rick, congrats on the new hauler. I bought mine out of state also. As for upgrades, I haven't done any yet and I have towed my toy hauler weighing between 7,200 and 11,000 (depends on toys and water) for over 18,000 towing miles out of Cali. The highest temp I have ever seen on the trans temps was 182. I keep about 20 gallons of gas in the hauler just in case on those deserted areas, plus it helps offset the heavy tongue weights.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, at this point, being that the trailer will be almost empty for the ride home, I`m leaning towards installing the trans thermostat by-pass and fresh Amsoil.
This way I can get baseline data that will let me know if I actually need add mods/cooling!

If there are any add suggestions i`m all ears...

N0NAMETOGIVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 / 6.4
2017 2500 6.4L, and 5500 are both stock and have been MAXED out plenty without leaving normal range. Transmission fluid once in 100k for both, and both have the stock thermostat. The only thing that I do recommend is setting the parking brake in neutral until the brakes hold the weight, and none on the transmission itself. I believe that both vehicles have worked as designed, and for my purposes have found no reason to alter any of the design.

cnovel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2015 Cummins , thermostat bypass block , knocked about 30 F on temps , 68rfe, easy and you change most of the fluid at the same time

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll provide anecdotal evidence to the contrary of pretty much everything you said - I drove my '17 for over 100k miles with ZERO transmission issues, and I never changed the fluid and I towed a camper around every summer with it. I never put in a thermostat bypass, I never changed the fluid, so whatever came in the transmission is what it had.

Is it the best automatic transmission out there? No. Are there people who just seem to have zero luck with it? Absolutely. But telling someone they NEED to do something when there are plenty of us out there who DON'T do those things and have zero issues is BS. They're things to consider, yes, but not a necessity.
I was mentored and trained by an old school Rolls-Royce mechanic.
I remember the old school RR cars with aircraft brakes from the factory. 3 master cylinders, 6 caliper disc brakes (2 calipers on each front wheel, and one on each rear) This system had 2 (redundant) pumps running off the engine camshaft and maintained 22,000 PSI to nitrogen filled accumulators. Who needs a power booster, eh?

Those heavy cars could stop as if they were 911T's. Overkill? Yup! The cost of a brake job 50 years ago was around 10 grand!

Rolls didn't warranty the car, but did warrant the customers' satisfaction. They would send out a factory trained tech anywhere in the world, said my mentor.

Cars have always has flaws and foibles.... always will. Some people get the good vehicles that remain trouble free, others aren't so lucky. I personally and professionally get tickled at the notion that one can beat the system so to speak.

Urban legends rife with stories from blowhards bragging how they drove their as if they stole it for 3zillion miles and never changed the oil gave rise to unrealistic ideas that ensconced fairy tale expectations that, somehow, the vehicle owes them some otherworldly trouble free service life even under harsh or abusive use!

It's a competitive race to enhance poorly engineered things on our trucks and cars. We mere mortals can't win the race, but we can make it more fun while we DO make our improvements to them in hopes of out-running the debt/ payment game, eh? Peace! ;)

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the food/bev referral, might just have to treat our friends to a night out!
You just might be on to something, the new trailer will be mostly empty (7800lbs) for the trip back, other than AMSOIL and a trans thermostat by-pass maybe I don`t need the add mods at this time, just don`t want to get flatfooted far away from home...
Once we start traveling with an 860lb Harley or our 700lb golf cart I may need the mods after all... lol
P.S. Tempted to carry some extra gas in the toy-hauler gas tank, I`m sure that I`ll need it with a gasser tow vehicle!
I never thought about how much a golf cart or a Harley weighed....Interesting.
Hard to believe my lawnmower weighs more than a harley...dam.
I think you'll be fine in your assessment of what you want/going to do....if it needs more after you get the item then you'll find out on trip back and do more when you get home.