Rear axle bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
One of the rear axle shaft bearings is making noise and there is a lot of up and down play in it.
How do I tell if I have standard or HD axles? 1997 1/2 ton with 9.25 in rear end, 5 lugs.
Also do they have to be pressed on and off at a machine shop or can it be done on my bench?
Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Standard. You can do it at home though sometimes work like that is often better left to a shop. One of the good tricks though for DIY install is use an oven and bake the new bearing for an hour at a good temp, I forget specific numbers but it's all over youtube. Drops right on then let it cool naturally. Essentially presses itself on.

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Standard. You can do it at home though sometimes work like that is often better left to a shop. One of the good tricks though for DIY install is use an oven and bake the new bearing for an hour at a good temp, I forget specific numbers but it's all over youtube. Drops right on then let it cool naturally. Essentially presses itself on.

Thanks.
I've got the parts ordered from Rock Auto and from all the youtube videos it looks like the only specialty tool I'll need is a slide hammer. I'm going to replace the bearings and seals on both sides since they have 260,000+ miles on them.
Removing the axles is exactly the same as a Chevy 12 bolt which I have done before.

Bretata96ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l v8
Hey anyone have gap issues between the ring and pinion gear that is one of my probs in the process of replacing both pinion bearing just need more info on how to adjust play in the ring gear and pinion gear

OP
OP
Gr8bawana

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok so I need a new driver side axle for my truck. On Rock Auto I see different length axles. 34 1/16 inches, 33.98 inches and 32 5/8 inches.
Measuring from the back of the flange the axle is 33 1/8 inches overall length.
Measuring to the end of the splines it is 32 1/2 inches. That is not measuring where the c-clip goes. Am I right in thinking I need the 32 5/8 inch axle?
Thanks for any help.