Rear cab exhaust vent leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple of weeks ago I noticed dampness in my under seat storage in my 2017 Power Wagon. I took it to the dealer and they came back and said the left side cab exhaust vent is leaking and needs to be changed at the cost of $379. I googled the part and it’s under $6. Has anyone had this fail on them before or replaced this themselves? I’m afraid that if one fails the other may soon too but the dealer said replacing both doubles the cost. For the record I’m out of warranty but have mopar maxcare lifetime but they supposedly won’t cover this issue.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A couple of weeks ago I noticed dampness in my under seat storage in my 2017 Power Wagon. I took it to the dealer and they came back and said the left side cab exhaust vent is leaking and needs to be changed at the cost of $379. I googled the part and it’s under $6. Has anyone had this fail on them before or replaced this themselves? I’m afraid that if one fails the other may soon too but the dealer said replacing both doubles the cost. For the record I’m out of warranty but have mopar maxcare lifetime but they supposedly won’t cover this issue.
I have replace probably 100 cab vents over the years and I replace both of them at the same time. Never a single vent by itself.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look for allmoparparts vendor on this site, he should set you up with the newer style vents.
Was so easy on my 2016 to pop them out, push up and over towards outer edges and let them drop, reverse for install. No more leaks. The rear seat does have to be unbolted and picked up so you can get back seat off wall, that takes the most time but not bad at all.

OP
OP
H

HoustonRamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called Ram Care and they offered to pay for the repair minus a $100 deductible. I’ll let them fix it and hopefully this is the real cause of my water leak. It’s been a great truck so far!

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
2016 1500 CC. Ok needs some help on these exhaust vents. Was getting water in the passenger side one. I picked up 2 of the new ones. Went to install. Glad I didn’t pop out the old ones and let them drop down. I cannot get the new ones to fit between the bed and cab no way no how. Tried coming up from bottom and side and no go. I finally said screw it and I popped out the old ones one at a time, held them and squirted a boatload of clear silicone around the rubber gasket and then popped them back in and did another bead around the inside of them. Hope it works. Any tricks I should have tried. I even attached a string and kind of tried to fish them up from bottom but still get stuck and won’t fit between bed and cab. Can’t pull old ones thru from inside and doubt if I did, the new ones wouldn’t go through from the inside either.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's a pretty tight fit but I pulled mine up from the bottom. I think I was slightly off to the side of the hole and pulled them up, then over a little to snap in the hole.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had to go up to clear the bed indents, then over to sides where big opening is and drop. No problems on mine maybe your bed is closer who knows. Can just loosen bed bolts and yank bed back a tad.
Just had over 6"s of rain and not a drop in my cab!

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
I had to go up to clear the bed indents, then over to sides where big opening is and drop. No problems on mine maybe your bed is closer who knows. Can just loosen bed bolts and yank bed back a tad.
Just had over 6"s of rain and not a drop in my cab!
definitely too tight to get in without having to deal with the bed. I’ll run a hose on it and check for leaks but hopefully the silicone will solve the issue.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The rubber flaps leak also

I was just going to say that. A lot of my water was coming in around the seal but I was also getting some from the flaps. Replacement was the only real option to stop it all.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are these leaking a common problem or a fairly low % issue?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Are these leaking a common problem or a fairly low % issue?

My 2016 started dry rotting/molding a little and the rubber seal was no longer pliable so it wasn't sealing well. Had no idea, just happen to take the rear seat out while I was adding keyless entry and found the floor under the carpet completely soaked. Took me days to dry it out.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
I think all the old ones leak, definitely replace them.
Are these under warranty? I have the max care warranty. Should I have just had the dealer replace under warranty and paid the $100 deductible.

Hunter1014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had three same problem. Water came into cab. Didn't have a clue what was going. I was about Exhaust vents. Condensation built locked the cam locks in the rear seats. The it shorted out the drivers seats. Causing my battery to go dead. Cost almost $2000 in repairs. What happens is. Leaves and other debris build up behind the cab. Which let's water wick into the vents . Thus coming in the cab. The vents cost $7.50 each. You have to first unlock the cams on the rear seat. One driver side.Then passenger side. Then take them out . Push out the vents. Let me drop on the ground. Take a string and tie it to the new vent. Get under the truck . Pull the string to help guide it up. Then get up and fasten it in place. While your at it do the seat Mod. It'll save you a ton of time. The next time the vents go out..

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I always use an old broom handle to reach down between the cab & bed to knock anything that is caught back there loose.
sometimes i spray a bit of water back there to clean off that rubber cross piece & what i can see of the frame

ckMQWY.jpg

bMjcq7.jpg

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had three same problem. Water came into cab. Didn't have a clue what was going. I was about Exhaust vents. Condensation built locked the cam locks in the rear seats. The it shorted out the drivers seats. Causing my battery to go dead. Cost almost $2000 in repairs. What happens is. Leaves and other debris build up behind the cab. Which let's water wick into the vents . Thus coming in the cab. The vents cost $7.50 each. You have to first unlock the cams on the rear seat. One driver side.Then passenger side. Then take them out . Push out the vents. Let me drop on the ground. Take a string and tie it to the new vent. Get under the truck . Pull the string to help guide it up. Then get up and fasten it in place. While your at it do the seat Mod. It'll save you a ton of time. The next time the vents go out..
You can swap the vents completely from the inside. You can angle it and get it thru the opening. It's a bit tight but can be done. Did it for mine about a week ago.

Hunter1014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is one topic, I feel the dealer should've mentioned. I had no idea they were there. As a result. Condensation built up and corrosion set in. Causing the rear seat cam locks to freeze up. Then it attacked the circuitry under the driver's seat. Causing the battery to drain. Which cost almost $2,000 to fix. Once I got the cam locks to unlock. I was able to replace the $7.50 exhaust Vents. Please keep constant watch on the space between the cab and bed. Any debri build up will let rain leak into the cab. If you replace your vents. Do the rear seat mod. It's worth the time. The vents are tissue paper thin rubber. Which will deteriorate very quick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990