Replacing cab vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fixjets1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do I need to slide my bed back to replace my cab vents? I had a guy at a window shop tell me that I did. I found water in my storage compartment and thought my back window was leaking. He took out my rear seat and found both my cab vents were missing all the rubber flaps. I went to Dodge and bought new ones. I went and looked at what he was talking about before he installed my rear seat and I can't figure out how you would replace them without sliding the bed back. They appear to be snapped in place from the outside. Just making sure before I start taking the truck apart.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am fairly certain that you will indeed need to move the bed. It's not terribly difficult from what I understand though (I've never done it). 4 or 6 bolts (depending on bed length) and be careful of the wiring and fuel neck.

-K

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Takes a bit of patience and finesse but no need to remove bed.

OP
OP
F

Fixjets1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally replaced the vents Sunday, I did have to slide the bed back about 8 inches. It took about 2 hours to complete the job. 6 bolts holding the bumper on ( 2 on each side and 2 behind the license plate..15 MM ). Disconnected taillight wires, trailer hitch harness and the backup sensor harness ( luckily there was a disconnect attached to the frame leading to all the sensors). 6 frame bolts (17 MM). Also 3 torx screws on the fuel fill neck. Slid the bed back till the front wheel well touched the tire and took the vents out. No tools needed for that, just grab and pull out. Installed the new ones in about a minute. There is directional arrows on the vents, but unless you're Forrest Gump, you know which way to install them. Reinstall in reverse and ops checked all my lights and bam done. Sent myself a repair bill for $ 800 ( good luck getting that buddy ) .

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just replaced my cab vents in ½hr! Aside from unbolting the seat to access the back wall, the actual vent replacement was about 3 minutes! Lol

You guys weren't able to pop it out and push it towards the outside and let it drop down? I then went under truck and got vent close to opening enough that i was able to grab it from inside and pull in to secure.
My bed looks spaced like every other ram....
PXL_20210701_141959091.jpgPXL_20210701_141709002.jpg

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I pull the entire cab off my 2019 classic hemi just so I can get at the oil filter easier. I'm kidding!!!! I feel bad someone went through all that unnecessary effort for the rear cab vents.

I've been following this since about 2017 and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having to go through all the effort of unbolting and moving the bed!!

There's tons of rear cab vent threads here. All were done from inside the cab that I'm aware of. Push them out w/out dropping them, then angle them so you can pull them back in through the cab. Reverse the process for the new install.

If you haven't already, you should do the rear seat mod, so you can flip the rear seatback forward.

Damnram17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced both cab vents last night. You do not need to remove the bed. Remove back seats and then remove back wall insulation. You will need to undo the bolt that attaches the middle seat belt to the floor to remove seats. Old vents can be pushed out and dropped to ground in the space between cab and bed or you can eventually pull them back in through the existing openings if you’re patient. The replacement vents, part number 68323649AB, won’t fit back through the openings but you can attach a piece of string to them, carefully, and then work them into place from under the truck between the cab and bed with someone helping. Just clip the string off before you pull vents into the openings and snap them in place. Done. New vents are a much improved design with fewer flaps, better outside seal, and a built in channel to route any water that may get past the flaps back out of the cab. Soaked mine after installation and before reassembling the interior just to be safe and had zero leaks. Good luck. It’s worth the effort

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
What year models are you guys talking about .
O thought we started on 2gen 1998 to 2002's but it sounds like some of you have move to 2014 & up.
.... Did I miss something . mine is 1999

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I just replaced my cab vents in ½hr! Aside from unbolting the seat to access the back wall, the actual vent replacement was about 3 minutes! Lol

You guys weren't able to pop it out and push it towards the outside and let it drop down? I then went under truck and got vent close to opening enough that i was able to grab it from inside and pull in to secure.
My bed looks spaced like every other ram....
View attachment 464595View attachment 464596
GREAT idea Thanks

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Just replaced both cab vents last night. You do not need to remove the bed. Remove back seats and then remove back wall insulation. You will need to undo the bolt that attaches the middle seat belt to the floor to remove seats. Old vents can be pushed out and dropped to ground in the space between cab and bed or you can eventually pull them back in through the existing openings if you’re patient. The replacement vents, part number 68323649AB, won’t fit back through the openings but you can attach a piece of string to them, carefully, and then work them into place from under the truck between the cab and bed with someone helping. Just clip the string off before you pull vents into the openings and snap them in place. Done. New vents are a much improved design with fewer flaps, better outside seal, and a built in channel to route any water that may get past the flaps back out of the cab. Soaked mine after installation and before reassembling the interior just to be safe and had zero leaks. Good luck. It’s worth the effort
Another great idea Thanks

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Almost didn't realize I was here 1629042188881.png

but in the 2ng gen, do the rear seat bottom lift up. I know the 4th gens have a common rear sear mod where the rear seat back can now be flipped down. Just wondering if it applies to the 2nd gens.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ha! I never realized i posted this in a 2nd gen thread, I usually just follow new posts throughout the day and that can cause that.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I pull the entire cab off my 2019 classic hemi just so I can get at the oil filter easier. I'm kidding!!!!
And don't forget when you replace sparkplugs, they're easier to get to them if you pull the engine out.
:favorites13:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Looks like this thread is a mix of Generational Dodge Rams already

I guess that i can't mess it up much more

This is a 2016 Gen 4 Ram Eco Diesel

1630698529217.png