Rear camera wire in mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Anyone know which wire in a 2013 in the rear view mirror harness is the backup camera video signal?

I am wanting to solder an RCA plug into the backup camera video wire that goes to the rear view mirror so I can plug it into my Kenwood double din and have the video show up on both mirror and the double din screen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Nobody knows?

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nobody knows?

How I installed it on my ram 4 easy peasy steps:

Step 1: Run two wires down the underside of the body to the rear of the truck, bring them up into the engine bay.

You run one into the cab (from engine bay through the firewall into the cab) which hooks up the head unit and switches the head unit automatically to show whats behind you, the other side of this wire you splice inline with the tail lights at the rear.

The second wire you ran is for 12v+, fuse this to the battery with a 2-3 amp fuse, nothing larger!

Step 2: Buy an automotive relay, $5-7 at radioshack/auto store.

Step 3: Now using this diagram below wire up the relay:

relay-diagram.jpg

Connect Pin 87 to the Fused 12v+ from the battery.
Connect Pin 85 to a bare spot on the frame.
Connect Pin 86 to the reverse wire (spice into the wire that is sending the signal into the cab)
Connect Pin 30 to the (+)Positive lead on the rear view camera.

Don't forget to ground the other wire on the rear view camera source.

Step 4: Check all connections and enjoy.

I used heat shrink on all of my connections as well as soldering all of them for secure waterproof connections. I even took a large piece of heat shrink and put it over the relay to get the longest life out of the relay I can.

Reason for doing all of this, its the safest way of hooking up the camera as you are not putting ANY loads on the stock wiring at all.

I had to re install mine the way I listed above because I tried to power the camera off the power of the reverse wire.

You will need a multi meter and someone to help you put it in reverse to figure out what wire color combo is the reverse trigger. Best way is to pull the tail light out and just multi meter the connection plug.

EDIT: Not sure of the color but if you have a tow connector on the rear bumper, it should be the center wire going to the connector. Its white with red stripe.

I think I covered everything, good luck and post if you run into anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I think I may have confused everyone

I already have the factory rear view camera that displays in the mirror

What I want to do is make it display on my double din aftermarket stereo.

I already have the reverse sensing wire connected and it switches my stereo to a black screen when I put it in reverse and then displays "no signal". But I need to figure out how to get the video signal from the factory camera so I can plug it into the aftermarket stereo reverse camera input.

since the signal is going to the mirror I figured one of those wires was the video signal but

1. I don't want to start cutting I to every wire on a brand new truck

2. I have no idea how you "test" a video signal wire

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
OEM mirror just uses the pinned wiring, so your going to have to use a multimeter to find the wire, and then solder in a rca video cable. this may be your best bet as far as finding it other then using a multi meter: https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm

So I used that website and found that there are 3 wires.

First wire is listed camera return which I am thinking is the "-" camera signal

Second wite is listed as camera signal which I am thinking is the "+" camera signal

Third wire is listed camera shield which I won't need I think since I am sure there isn't much interference but may end up using it who knows.

So I guess my evening project will be popping the panel off the side of the dash and probing wires to see which wire is which

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Got it!!

wires are on passenger side of dash if you have camera screen in rear view mirror. I'm color blind but I think they are brown and brown with black stripe. I forgot to take pictures but here's the final output

As you can see I have camera view in both mirror and the bigger screen of the double din

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376025261282.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376025261282.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 375

DatacomGuy

Reaction score
Wow, thats impressive. Nice work! I'd love to do the same, but i dont have any of the OEM parts, so i'll be doing all aftermarket.

Any closer shots of the aftermarket HU in your 13? Yours is the first i'm seeing.. Curious how it looks with the factory bezel/dash..

OP
OP
S

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Here ya go

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376075005312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376075005312.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 116

ducman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Sorry to bring back a thread from so long ago.

Thanks. I was looking to see how to do this. I just installed a Pioneer 8100NEX and have the backup camera display in the mirror. I wanted to add the backup camera display to the unit.

In case anyone else is looking for info:

Here is where i found the wiring diagram colors:
In my 2015 Ram 1500 the wire colors are Dark Green (DG) / Brown (BR) stripe for the signal (+) wire and Dark Green (DG) / Orange (OR) stripe for the return (-) wire.
It didn't use the shield wire.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to CuylerTech s The Harness Connection, search for 2013 + back up camera options .
You'll find the pin out with colors you need !
Hope this helps !

t22980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello all,

Thanks for the info! I was able to capture the rear view cam feed and hook into my aftermarket hu on my 2014 Ram 2500 ST.

I do have a question though. My hu requires a signal to switch on the cam view. Other than running a wire from the reverse light, is there somewhere else more convenient I could grab this signal? I tested all the wires at the rearview mirror, but none of them were off then on when in reverse. I suppose the rearview display is more sophisticated and knows when to come on through a data connection.

I tried following the links in this thread, but they all seem to be dead now.

Any help is appreciated.

t22980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I never did find an alternate solution, so I ran a wire to the reverse light. Works a treat.

Attachments

• rearview.jpg
    rearview.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 59

Mike Sea

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express quad cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i don't have the factory backup camera, so i got a aftermarket tailgate handle w/ camera, and use A.M. kenwood 905s radio, now i can turn camera on from front panel button, but i want it to also turn on automatically when i go into reverse, so going to go back into the dash today or tomorrow and see if i can find the reverse trigger wire and connect it to the kenwood and see if it will turn on automatically. will post a update in a few days.