Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear defrost issue

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by rklus16, Jan 13, 2020.

1. rklus16

rklus16 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Remote started the truck this morning and came out to load the kid in the truck and noticed one side of the defroster wasn't working. We had some freezing drizzle so I guess it made it more noticeable this morning. Didn't notice any of the defroster lines broken on that side. Didn't know if there might be a quick fix/check/reason why it would do this on one side. Photo also here.

IMG_20200113_0744342.jpg

2. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Hi rklus16, We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We understand you are reaching out to fellow forum members, however if you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, I kindly recommend connecting with your local Ram dealer.
    Rob
    RamCares

3. Georgiasport

Georgiasport Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    When you take it to the dealer, they are going to try a repair kit. This may or may not work (didn't on mine when 4 strips on one side didn't heat up). Then they will replace your whole back window which involves breaking the glass on the window to get it out. Make sure if the go the second route they take care of your headliner. They messed mine up and had to replace that after which in turn involved removing the front windshield. They broke the auto rain sensor on the windshield and had to put a new one in. It was a 90 day nightmare. Hopefully they can fix it with the repair kit.

4. madtrucker2016

madtrucker2016 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    also if they remove your back window they have to put a brand new third brake light in with gasket.The old stuff will leak water demand a new third brake light trust me on this one.

5. RaftingDave

RaftingDave Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have problems with mine as well, though not that bad. A few of the heating element strips don't work very well, or at all. Extremely uneven. Driver's side, only the two elements in the middle seem to work.

Mine's going in next week for a brake check - hopefully they'll test and repair. I really don't want to go through an extended nightmare of window replacement, etc.

6. Tripper

Tripper Junior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You might operate the slider and make sure it's closed. I had one a few years ago that wouldn't work and that's all it was. Just a thought.

7. Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Ok I guess I am dumb but what year is your truck I don’t have rear window defrost. I have a 18 Laramie

8. JoeCo

JoeCo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    According to his info he has a 2016...my 2017 longhorn has it. Must have been optional? Neither of my regular cabs had it.

9. Toddbigboytruck

Toddbigboytruck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Thank you I have a crew cap and I thought I had all the options in my larime and I know I didn’t have that. It not like it would be and help and way due to the fibreglass cap but still. I have learned so much on this site and again thank you

JoeCo likes this.
  10. JoeCo

JoeCo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    No problem at all happy to help...so many options on these things it's hard to remember them all.