Rear door speaker upgrade made all the difference!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Has anyone done anything with the 2021-22 Harmon Kardin system? I am not much of an audiophile, it sounds pretty good to me.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I have the alpine system and sounds good but the bass could use help.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I have the stock Alpine 9 speaker system and it sounds great to me!!!
I didn't really mind the sound from my stock Alpine system, but what really bugged me is that it's set up as a "soundstage" system. Meaning it's designed to sound like the music is coming from in front of you like being at a concert, and the rear speakers just provide bass and filler. I prefer a surround sound where it sounds like you are in the middle of everything. Before I replaced the rear door speakers, I would have to adjust the F/R fader about 5-6 clicks towards the rear to get the balance I wanted, but then the sound was not as clear because it took away from the front soundstage effect. The Infinity Ref 6x9's in the rear doors fixed all that. I keep the fader in the middle and the sound is incredible. It actually sounds like I have speakers back there now. Actually, the best seat in the house is the middle of the back seat. You might want to give it a try. the speakers are only $100 on Amazon and can be installed in about 30 minutes.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Counting speakers" Ok as Forest Gump would say "I'm not a very smart man" I also have a 2022 Ram Laramie I find the 3 speakers on the dash the the 4 in the doors and the 2 back seat in the roof. OK Where in the hell is the subwoofer? I have looked all over for it. Its not under any seat. I would also like to add a small powered subwoofer to give it a little more bottom. Is this advisable? I am 72 years old and I have been around jets for 50 years so my hearing is not the best I just want a little bit of bass.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Counting speakers" Ok as Forest Gump would say "I'm not a very smart man" I also have a 2022 Ram Laramie I find the 3 speakers on the dash the the 4 in the doors and the 2 back seat in the roof. OK Where in the hell is the subwoofer? I have looked all over for it. Its not under any seat. I would also like to add a small powered subwoofer to give it a little more bottom. Is this advisable? I am 72 years old and I have been around jets for 50 years so my hearing is not the best I just want a little bit of bass.
The subwoofer is located on the cab wall behind the rear seat backrest in the 5th gens. The 4th gens were under the rear passenger seat.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I assume you have tried just increasing the bass through the EQ. I keep mine at about 50% and to me it bumps! Turn the bass all the way up and it's ridiculous. Yes, lots of people have added amps and additional woofers. I'd recommend just swapping out the rear door speakers with some Infinity Reference. That makes a huge difference and costs a lot less than an amp and an additional sub.

Last edited:

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
What subs and amp did you use? Any pics of the install?
The subs are Kenwood Excelon, and the amp is a Rockford Fosgate 500w mono. The amp is under the passenger seat.

Attachments

• 2F7EAD18-0ACF-41AD-84C2-DBF6ABC5E226.jpeg
    2F7EAD18-0ACF-41AD-84C2-DBF6ABC5E226.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 24
  • F0288F4D-AC5A-46A2-832C-EFB15092793F.jpeg
    F0288F4D-AC5A-46A2-832C-EFB15092793F.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 7971C478-C068-4CA2-B332-F8BFA79484F6.jpeg
    7971C478-C068-4CA2-B332-F8BFA79484F6.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 24

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 9633IX's in the rear doors and they sound great! However, I used the tweeter output button to adjust them to reduce that "bright" sound. I recommend them and agree that they may a LOT of difference. I have the reference 3022 CFX in the front L/R positions. I haven't replaced the center or the front door speakers yet because I wanted to see what kind of difference that swap would make. When I took out the stock rear speakers, they looked like 2-ways but really couldn't tell and didn't want to tear the cloth covering the speaker in case I decided to use them for something else (not likely though). Are they supposed to be 3-way in the back and 2-way in the front?

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I have the 9633IX's in the rear doors and they sound great! However, I used the tweeter output button to adjust them to reduce that "bright" sound. I recommend them and agree that they may a LOT of difference. I have the reference 3022 CFX in the front L/R positions. I haven't replaced the center or the front door speakers yet because I wanted to see what kind of difference that swap would make. When I took out the stock rear speakers, they looked like 2-ways but really couldn't tell and didn't want to tear the cloth covering the speaker in case I decided to use them for something else (not likely though). Are they supposed to be 3-way in the back and 2-way in the front?
3-3.5 s in front 2 6x9s in the front doors 2 6x9 in rear doors 2 overhead rear tweeters one 8 inch sub total 9 speakers

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3-3.5 s in front 2 6x9s in the front doors 2 6x9 in rear doors 2 overhead rear tweeters one 8 inch sub total 9 speakers
@barr0208 - thank you for your response. However, I know how many speakers and where they are located, but I wasn't sure about the "2-way" and "3-way" speaker locations. I've seen a reference - I think - that the fronts were 2-way and rears were 3-way but wasn't sure. For now, I've purchased and installed the 3-ways in the back doors but haven't yet bought the front ones. I'm hoping to have that answered here if possible. I could just pull the cloth cover off of the old speakers and look I suppose but don't want to damage them.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
@barr0208 - thank you for your response. However, I know how many speakers and where they are located, but I wasn't sure about the "2-way" and "3-way" speaker locations. I've seen a reference - I think - that the fronts were 2-way and rears were 3-way but wasn't sure. For now, I've purchased and installed the 3-ways in the back doors but haven't yet bought the front ones. I'm hoping to have that answered here if possible. I could just pull the cloth cover off of the old speakers and look I suppose but don't want to damage them.
They are basic 2-way speakers all the way around. I believe the front door speakers are only wired for bass on the Alpine system, so adding a 3-way probably won't improve anything there.

Gerard22295

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love hearing about the speakers in the Rams, guys without beating a dead horse, if you have any of the systems including the Alpine amp upgrade, please do yourselves a favor and replace all the speakers as soon as you financially are able. Crutchfield will spec it out for you to match everything in balance & fit. If you feel you can beat their price then purchase the speakers from Amazon. It's almost a sin of the Alpine system to be running it on those bottom-line speakers. If you are into great sound, for the money there is no better value that significantly makes such an improvement.