Rear door speaker upgrade made all the difference!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
I have the "Alpine" 9-speaker system and it's good, but not great. Got a pair of Infinity 6X9s and put them in the rear door and holy hell is it a massive improvement. I put them in the rear because I read that the front door speakers are programmed for just bass and they are supposed to be really good for that. The stock speakers in the rear just left a kind of dead zone in the back of the cab. In order to get the kind of sound I like I would have to move the fader about 4-5 clicks to the rear, but then the clarity wasn't there because it was a lot of low end. Got the Infinitys in there and the balance and clarity is remarkable. I put the fader right in the middle and it's just about perfect. This might be the best $100 mod you can do. If you have the 6-speaker system I recommend you swap out all door speakers. You will be amazed at the difference. Make sure to get the the $5 harness with them.

Infinity 9633ix. $94 on Amazon

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the alpine 9 speaker system in my 21 and keep it on "surround sound" and it sounds pretty good for a "stock" system. I'd love to hear yours with the infinity in the back doors though

Fc3s25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the "Alpine" 9-speaker system and it's good, but not great. Got a pair of Infinity 6X9s and put them in the rear door and holy hell is it a massive improvement. I put them in the rear because I read that the front door speakers are programmed for just bass and they are supposed to be really good for that. The stock speakers in the rear just left a kind of dead zone in the back of the cab. In order to get the kind of sound I like I would have to move the fader about 4-5 clicks to the rear, but then the clarity wasn't there because it was a lot of low end. Got the Infinitys in there and the balance and clarity is remarkable. I put the fader right in the middle and it's just about perfect. This might be the best $100 mod you can do. If you have the 6-speaker system I recommend you swap out all door speakers. You will be amazed at the difference. Make sure to get the the $5 harness with them.

You needed the harness for your system or are you referring to the 6 speaker systems

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
You needed the harness for your system or are you referring to the 6 speaker systems
The harness just plugs into the existing car wiring and onto the speakers. You will need them for each speaker. The white end plugs into the wiring and the pink end plugs into the speakers. They are around $5 a pair.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the 9 speaker in my 2016, not sure if is the same but i replaced all 3 dash speakers and that made a world of difference. Next i did the rear doors with a 3 way infinity and i dont like it, way too bright in the back i can here them behind me and it messes with the front staging. Im gonna try sticking some tape over one of the tweeters.
Another thing i noticed is the little wire harness adaptors were backwards, id check the polarity on yours also and see if your harness is reversed.
D-battery test the old speaker to get the polarity and see which wire is going to your new speakers positive with harness installed.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have the 9 speaker in my 2016, not sure if is the same but i replaced all 3 dash speakers and that made a world of difference. Next i did the rear doors with a 3 way infinity and i dont like it, way too bright in the back i can here them behind me and it messes with the front staging. Im gonna try sticking some tape over one of the tweeters.
Another thing i noticed is the little wire harness adaptors were backwards, id check the polarity on yours also and see if your harness is reversed.
D-battery test the old speaker to get the polarity and see which wire is going to your new speakers positive with harness installed.
I like the brightness in the back. I'm not a fan of the soundstage sound. I like to feel like I'm in the middle of the sound. I can't stand it when everything is coming from in front of me. I might change the left and right dash speakers and If I could figure out how to get to the rear ceiling speakers I'd probably do those (I assume they are 3.5s like the dash speakers).

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I like the brightness in the back. I'm not a fan of the soundstage sound. I like to feel like I'm in the middle of the sound. I can't stand it when everything is coming from in front of me. I might change the left and right dash speakers and If I could figure out how to get to the rear ceiling speakers I'd probably do those (I assume they are 3.5s like the dash speakers).
Oh ok, i like it from the front like im at a concert. For me its the 2 different sounding highs from the dash and the rear that throw it off for me. I believe most of us concentrate on the fronts and the rears for fill.
The rear head board speakers i believe are 2" so an odd size and what ive read if staying with stock alpine amp its not really worth changing those out.
Definitely do your dash speakers.

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
How do they count the speakers? I have the Alpine system in my 22 Laramie, and I have a speaker in each door, which would make 4. 3 in the dash, which would make 7. 2 in the rear ceiling (surround?) and the subwoofer which to my count is 10 speakers.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
How do they count the speakers? I have the Alpine system in my 22 Laramie, and I have a speaker in each door, which would make 4. 3 in the dash, which would make 7. 2 in the rear ceiling (surround?) and the subwoofer which to my count is 10 speakers.
Yeah, it's really a 10 speaker system.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Oh ok, i like it from the front like im at a concert. For me its the 2 different sounding highs from the dash and the rear that throw it off for me. I believe most of us concentrate on the fronts and the rears for fill.
The rear head board speakers i believe are 2" so an odd size and what ive read if staying with stock alpine amp its not really worth changing those out.
Definitely do your dash speakers.
It's strange how little information is out there on the Alpine 9-speaker system. I wonder if those rear roof speakers are just little tweeters. You really have to get your ear up close to even hear them. I think I'll take your advice and swap out the L/R dash speakers. What's in the middle? Is it another 3.5?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's strange how little information is out there on the Alpine 9-speaker system. I wonder if those rear roof speakers are just little tweeters. You really have to get your ear up close to even hear them. I think I'll take your advice and swap out the L/R dash speakers. What's in the middle? Is it another 3.5?
Yup mines a 3.5 in the center, i bought 2 pairs and sold the 3rd on here.
Im guessing the 5th gens are 3.5s also?

Fc3s25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The harness just plugs into the existing car wiring and onto the speakers. You will need them for each speaker. The white end plugs into the wiring and the pink end plugs into the speakers. They are around $5 a pair.
Man those speakers made a pretty significant difference! Thank you! It makes my alpine system sound more surrounded and clear

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Man those speakers made a pretty significant difference! Thank you! It makes my alpine system sound more surrounded and clear
Yep. I'm not a fan of the original soundstage setup. It bothers me to hear all the high end coming straight from the dash. I much prefer the surround sound that upgraded door speakers provide. I like to feel like I'm in the middle of the music instead of facing it. As good as it sounds in the driver's seat now, you should hear it in the back seats! The back middle seat might be the best seat in the whole cab. Give it a try. Turn up the music and go sit in the back.

Fc3s25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally agree best spot for it is middle back seat.. can't wait to hit the Drive-In movies and test em out

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
how are you guys able to utilize a good sound system. my wife expects to just chat when we are riding in the truck. otherwise I think the 9 spkr system sounds pretty good when I get a chance to hear something on it. I had to tinker with the sub setting some to eliminate the boomyness of the default settings. but all in all not bad for stock system.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Runamuck, lol! try headphones. Just remember to nod every once in a while so it seems like you a listening.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just realized you have the more expensive 3 ways with higher signal to noise, wonder if that is why i dont like mine. Song came on last night, couldnt stand how tinny and off they sounded! Mine are the Infinity Primus PR9613IS.
I may just try the 2 ways infinity offers

Jeffrey Buchanan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e

I am disappointed with the upgraded stereo system, and not excited about replacing speakers on a lease.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I am disappointed with the upgraded stereo system, and not excited about replacing speakers on a lease.
Yeah, I would not recommend the "Alpine" system. I only got it because it was the only truck on the lot that had everything else I wanted. Even on a lease, it would be worth it to at least swap out the rear door speakers. The Infinity Reference 6X9s are only about $100 (don't waste money on Crutchfield, get them on Amazon) and it takes maybe 30 minutes to install. That alone will drastically improve the sound.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On Crutchfield Canada website it warns that the volume will be lower with the Infinity Reference REF9632ix 2-way speakers. Anyone know anything about this from knowledge and/or experience? Or are people putting REF9633ix in the rear doors?