Rear end ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sdiss__co88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L cummins
I have the ridge grapplers on my 2500 I'm running custom valved king 2.5s in the front with thuren springs, and off the shelf fox 2.0s in the back with the stock coils the ride is pretty nice I just installed airlift 5000 series bags in the rear and with 8psi it rides like a ½ton. Maybe put some bags in the rear they are pretty inexpensive.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Gotta get on my tablet. Phone loads them as broken pics.

I'm really interested in going this route. A guy at work rolled up in a brand new 2019 classic quad cab today. So not apples to apples since I have a crew cab but close enough for measuring sake. Long story short either I had an extremely low slung truck from the factory or the previous owner used the **** out of my truck and the coils were extremely sagged.

I used the lip on the center cap hole as a holding point on the tape measure to keep numbers consistent. Works well on stock wheels. Aftermarket varies in center bore size so it isn't as consistent truck to truck.

As of now, I have zero rear lift compared to a stock truck. Any load heavier than i currently run and i go nose high. Wondering how these superlift coils would handle about 4-500 lbs constant load. Front sits right where it's advertised at 2.25" 98b62f4d1f0ba4361fa5e66e72c456ed.jpgd9073db086e9fc81adef08b365154cb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's at 42.5 on 35's, so that should be 41.5 on a truck with stock tires more or less.
The link i posted before was from another truck with those coils with factory tires.
from the pics posted in that link the truck was 39 3/8 stock, and 41 3/8 with those coils and they'll settle some more after use, and more if you have weight in the bed.

I'm at 40.5" currently, My truck was
39 1/4 stock
40 1/8 after the Falken 315's
41 1/8 after the Icon springs with 100lbs of weight in the bed
and now 40.5 with 300lbs of weight in the back permanently.
literally 0.5" more than stock so if i got this coils i'm expecting to gain perhaps an extra 1" with the same weight.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
He's at 42.5 on 35's, so that should be 41.5 on a truck with stock tires more or less.
The link i posted before was from another truck with those coils with factory tires.
from the pics posted in that link the truck was 39 3/8 stock, and 41 3/8 with those coils.

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying basically plan ahead for running with a pretty decently loaded decked system, ideally maintain some rake with the decked installed and loaded out. I'm waiting on my tablet to charge so I can see the pics in the bilstein link.

Rear suspension for sure needs a rework on my truck, it rides great, but you look at it and it sagslike 90yr old ****.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Didn't see the edit on the post above mine. I'm using you as a judge for how the icons handle weight permanently. I haul about 200-300 pounds of stuff plus I'm planning on the decked system which is an additional 200lbs. Add in some random additions and I'm hoping it squats to about 1-1.5" above where I'm at now. This is all pre planning as I'm trying to pay off pretty much everything, so for now money is being re allocated, I'll prob grab the springs and track bar bracket as well as track down the sway bar/brake relocation bracket but I won't be on new shocks for a bit.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the fox shocks in when I got home from work. Had to mount the reservoir under the shock because of some possible clearance issues but it fit like a glove in the mount. I tested it and it feels a lot smoother on the highway and bumps are reduced to almost nothing it’s pretty crazy. Now you can tell the front end needs those 6112’s. No telling if it fixed my rear going side to side on double bumps yet but I should be getting my drop bracket for my track bar tomorrow so once that’s ok that’s the real test. 57C0025D-720A-49E2-ABBC-B776B3358BBC.jpegOnce I installed the fox shocks and tested them I went to start my 6112 install. What an absolute nightmare getting the top mount off my 5100’s....first the top Allen key was so rusted it just stripped like it was nothing so I was stuck trying to get the top but off. At this point I wasn’t keeping these so I used 3 locking vice grips to hold the rod while I took the but off but nope the rod just slid right around like it was nothing. Tried using a pipe wrench on the rod....nothing. At this point I was pretty frustrated so I compressed the spring to take the tension off the bottom mount and I took my angle grinder to the bottom perch. Once I took one of the rings off the spring and the bottom perch I was able to slide it down and then I took my angle grinder to the shock rod. After removing it from the shock I then took the rod in the vice then I was able to spin the nut off. So I got one side done thankfully but I will be finishing tomorrow. On a side note I like how the Bilstein’s use a 8mm head on the shock rod to avoid this bs in the future if I ever have to disassemble again. They look 10x better than the 5100’s though. 651C1E7D-C2C5-4D04-BC2A-E2665B6F080F.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sexy looking rear :). Test the rear before the Carli bracket, then you’ll know if the bracket works or not.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Looking good! Excited to see the finished product. Which rear shock did you go with? I'm making a parts list to mimic your setup.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Did you set the 6112s on the #7 or #8 circlip location? I can count 6 exposed grooves, but I'm not sure if the 7th groove is hidden by the spring seat when set at #8. What lift height did you get? Can you measure hub to fender please? I've got a 5.7L CC as well and just wondering how the advertised lift heights of the 6112s circlip locations compare to reality. Thanks

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you set the 6112s on the #7 or #8 circlip location? I can count 6 exposed grooves, but I'm not sure if the 7th groove is hidden by the spring seat when set at #8. What lift height did you get? Can you measure hub to fender please? I've got a 5.7L CC as well and just wondering how the advertised lift heights of the 6112s circlip locations compare to reality. Thanks
I set it on #8 2.8. I didn’t get a before measurement but my 5100’s were at 2.8 but these definitely look higher i’m Expecting them to settle a little. My hub to fender is right about 24.5.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fox shocks with reservoir part # 985-24-022. Nick can get them shipped for like 490 not a bad price!

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking good! Excited to see the finished product. Which rear shock did you go with? I'm making a parts list to mimic your setup.

Fox shocks with reservoir part # 985-24-022. Nick can get them shipped for like 490 not a bad price!

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So finished everything up minus the bracket for the rear but definitely way improved on the bumps. My steering wheel is so crooked because had to mess with the LCA for the 6112’s but I got a bunch of codes popped up on dash about service electronic brake system and stuff probably has something to do the alignment because the steering wheel is seriously crooked. It’s at the dealer for an alignment right now and they will check on the codes.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Awesome thanks. I might look at non resi shocks since this truck doesn't get whooped offroad so they are overkill.

I'm sure those lights are just because the wheel is so crooked and the computer is pissed. I measured my hub center to fender and I'm about 24" roughly, which makes sense with my truck sitting at 2.3" roughly. Stoked to hear how your combo works out, I'm piecing together the parts I'll need to get this done.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome thanks. I might look at non resi shocks since this truck doesn't get whooped offroad so they are overkill.

I'm sure those lights are just because the wheel is so crooked and the computer is pissed. I measured my hub center to fender and I'm about 24" roughly, which makes sense with my truck sitting at 2.3" roughly. Stoked to hear how your combo works out, I'm piecing together the parts I'll need to get this done.

I was going to get the non reservoir ones but they had less travel than these so didn’t match my original bilsteins.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I was going to get the non reservoir ones but they had less travel than these so didn’t match my original bilsteins.
Dammit.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dammit.

Yeah just looked it up the non reservoir ones have an inch less travel. Collapsed it was one inch less and I didn’t want to chance the shock getting damaged because mine were like 17.5 collapsed

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah just looked it up the non reservoir ones have an inch less travel. Collapsed it was one inch less and I didn’t want to chance the shock getting damaged because mine were like 17.5 collapsed
Got ya. Makes sense. I need to be mindful of collapsed length since I haven't extended bump stops out back.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you'll need the relocation TB bracket, but can you take a picture from the back of the truck that shows the angle of TB perpendicular to the ground with he truck level? i'd like to see how the angle looks like in your case. Measure you axel shift while you there as well. you should have a little more tire perhaps showing from your passenger side and the bracket could help mitigate that and be cheaper than an adjustable TB.

You can see this video for example to understand what the TB does and how the rear end moves side to side as part of it's normal arc

I'll follow the same approach from the long travel race kits available for our trucks personally (Dirt King or Gor Racing) they have beefier control arms, beefier adjustable TB, no drop bracket and their kits go higher than Carli. Now why the race kits are not concerned with what Carli is advertising is beyond me , i know i won't drill the frame side of the TB to place a bracket in there but if i needed to relocate the TB after a lift say 3" o more, i'll try to get the type that mount the TB from the axel, personal opinion from my rock crawling days.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I set it on #8 2.8. I didn’t get a before measurement but my 5100’s were at 2.8 but these definitely look higher i’m Expecting them to settle a little. My hub to fender is right about 24.5.

Wow, my 5100s are at 2.8 as well but my hub to fender is approx. 23.25". I do have a heavier aftermarket front bumper though, plus about 65k mileage on the 5100s. Thanks for the info. You've got a great truck build going.